IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Invidia Q300 Axleback Pop Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 04:39 PM
trieub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invidia Q300 Axleback Pop Noise

For the members with the Invidia Q300 Axleback, just wondering if you can shine some light on this matter. I have a 2016 IS350 with the RR Racing Tune and the Invidia Q300 Axleback (no other mods). When coming to a stop, I get this pop noise from the exhaust. It almost sounds like backfire, at least that's what it sounds like to my ears. This happens literally every time I'm coming to a stop at approximately 10-15 km/h (from Canada). It happens in all drive modes when left in Drive. Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-06-18, 07:06 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by trieub
For the members with the Invidia Q300 Axleback, just wondering if you can shine some light on this matter. I have a 2016 IS350 with the RR Racing Tune and the Invidia Q300 Axleback (no other mods). When coming to a stop, I get this pop noise from the exhaust. It almost sounds like backfire, at least that's what it sounds like to my ears. This happens literally every time I'm coming to a stop at approximately 10-15 km/h (from Canada). It happens in all drive modes when left in Drive. Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks for your help!
LOL i love that Pop noise, i like the popcorn noise more unfortunately with just aftermarket exhaust we only get 1 pop when slow down at stop , it's normal Trieu, i have aftermarket axleback and it does the same and i like it, i got the IS350 as well

Normally All IS350 has that noise, you won't hear it with OEM mufflers because it designed quiet, no worry its normal and its cool
Old 05-06-18, 07:25 PM
trinhtd
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My question is why would you get the RR racing tune with just an axleback?
Old 05-06-18, 07:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Hey, I ran over something in the road that dented my exhaust, and following that incident I started having a pop noise when coming to a stop. Got it looked at at the dealership, said they thought it was my exhaust hitting the underside of the car.

Note, I have stock exhaust.
Old 05-06-18, 08:05 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same thing happen to me with my axleback. 350 as well.
Old 03-18-19, 02:04 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Did a search and yup, same with my Tsudo cat-back. I don't have secondary cats so thought maybe that was it, but interesting it happens with even just the axle-back; the stock mufflers must hide it well. As in the OP, it only happens when slowing down at low speeds and seemingly when the transmission is downshifting (quickly) through the last few gears.

Doesn't happen all the time, maybe about 1/2. At first I thought something in the trunk was shifting, but it's definitely a pop (or fart) and can be from either side, and always just once. I tried manually down-shifting and it hasn't happened with that yet, but haven't tried much. Don't recall any of my other cars doing this with custom exhausts, and would have thought an RR tune or similar might correct it, as would it not be from a too-rich condition or maybe too-good scavenging and incomplete burning resulting in fuel sucked into the pipes? Or maybe just poor cats?
Old 03-18-19, 02:38 PM
bumbletuna
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a straight piped 350 and love this noise. It's appears sometimes when the car downshifts from 4th to 3rd. It varies in loudness, sometimes it won't be there at all and the car will almost "jerk" during the downshift (i've read this is normal from the torque converter locking and unlocking).

I've been trying to figure out exactly what causes the noise to appear, but no luck so far. It usually appears after driving the car hard. Then sometimes i'll be in ECO during my normal commute and drive from a red light to another red light 1/2 mile away and it will pop (not driving hard).

Not always when slowing down either, this is much more noticeable with the straight pipe, sometimes when you accelerate hard after a gear shift you will hear it pop. I think it sounds pretty awesome.

I'd like to know if the tune increases these popping noises?
Old 03-18-19, 03:14 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Wtf. Where's my pop? I have 350 with Invidia axle-back as well...no tune.
Do you guys all that the tune who get this pop on just an axle back?.

Feeling pop-less here lol.
Old 03-18-19, 04:31 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I have no tune with my JoeZ Axleback and get nice pops every once in awhile. They usually happen only when my car/exhaust is fully warmed up and im slowing down from 4th to 3rd or also 3rd to 2nd.
Old 03-18-19, 04:41 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have just the axle-back on for now, no tune and occasionally get the pop. Like others stated, it usually happens when slowing down or coming to a stop when the transmission is rapidly downshifting after just cruising along under normal conditions..
Old 03-18-19, 06:49 PM
bumbletuna
Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350

I don't have a tune... yet. I occasionally heard the pop with the stock F sport axle back, it got louder when I added a midpipe. I went with Apexi because their midpipe is an H pipe.
Old 03-18-19, 07:21 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HOMER350

Wouldn't really call it a pop, more like a "PUHHHF!" release of gas to unbloat one's belly. Softer-sounding than a backfire. No snap, popping or gurgles, which would sound better imo.

Mine's the same as OP's -- only happens when slowing down, around 10-20mph, foot off gas, and just regular driving around town.
Old 03-18-19, 07:45 PM
bumbletuna
Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Wouldn't really call it a pop, more like a "PUHHHF!" release of gas to unbloat one's belly.
Yes.

Sometimes it sounds like a "puhhf" and other times it sounds like a "BANG" almost like a gun going off. I'll try and get this on video sometime so you guys can hear.

FYI I have catless headers and no mufflers.
Old 03-18-19, 09:51 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bumbletuna
Yes.

Sometimes it sounds like a "puhhf" and other times it sounds like a "BANG" almost like a gun going off. I'll try and get this on video sometime so you guys can hear.

FYI I have catless headers and no mufflers.
So what do you have, just resonators? Or completely straight-piped from the headers? If so, then these puffs must be the least of the noise you have going on!
Old 03-18-19, 09:57 PM
bumbletuna
Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
So what do you have, just resonators? Or completely straight-piped from the headers? If so, then these puffs must be the least of the noise you have going on!
I have one resonator per side of the exhaust

Last edited by bumbletuna; 03-19-19 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Invidia Q300 Axleback Pop Noise