IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

18-month ownership review | IS 300 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 10:03 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you change to control arm bushing to get rid of the inner tire wear? Mine I noticed that it had pretty bad inner wear on my rear tires when I change to my winters (lexus had given me new fronts). The thing is that when I checked the pressure I actually had it at 32 psi all around since I got it (under inflated). I am thinking/hopping maybe this created that problem.
So now I am not sure if I should put them back for just one more season since I have so much thread depth in the middle or just put new one on the back. And also if I should upgrade the bushings all around?
Old 03-06-19, 11:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by aniks
Great review! I have to ask, do the BF Goodrich's still make the noise at higher speeds? I'm thinking of upgrading my tires in the next few months and those had been recommended by a friend (although that friend has an outback).
I haven't noticed the noise recently, though it has been a lot colder here.

Your friend with the Outback probably doesn't have the same model of tire. I don't think BFGoodrich would make the Comp-2's for the Outback's tire size.

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
Did you change to control arm bushing to get rid of the inner tire wear? Mine I noticed that it had pretty bad inner wear on my rear tires when I change to my winters (lexus had given me new fronts). The thing is that when I checked the pressure I actually had it at 32 psi all around since I got it (under inflated). I am thinking/hopping maybe this created that problem.
So now I am not sure if I should put them back for just one more season since I have so much thread depth in the middle or just put new one on the back. And also if I should upgrade the bushings all around?
I have been running the recommended 36 PSI on a fairly consistent basis. But I haven't upgraded the bushings. I expect to still have the inner tire wear. I only have a year left on my lease, so hoping to ride it out till then.
Old 09-01-19, 09:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Default 31,800-mile update

Recently I cleaned my exhaust tips, after nearly 3 years of buildup... The difficulty of that cleaning led me to think I've lived with this car for quite some time. I also have already started thinking about what my next car will be. Do I want to move to something more sensible, like a hot hatch? Or, will I miss the RWD chassis balance and the premium interior and quietness of a proper luxury branded vehicle? I've tested out a few cars on Turo, as well as taken test drives in friends' "cool" cars, and I came to the following realization.

"Just enjoy the car for now."

Buying a car is stressful, and especially stressful if I am contemplating "downgrading" in order to show some financial responsibility. Can I afford my car? Yes. Would it be easier to meet my long-term goals if I had something cheaper? Oh, yes. That said, I have this car for the next 7 or so months, with nearly 10,000 miles I can put on it within my lease terms, so I am planning to use it for anything I can.

I went for a spirited drive, if you will, today, after giving my car a good washing, as well as running to the grocery store. I think that whole string of events sums up what IS ownership is about:
  • It's a car that is easy to use for mundane tasks but isn't boring while doing so.
  • It's a car that has looks that stand out, which makes it fun to cruise around in when it's nice and clean.
  • It's a car that is just fun enough to take the long way home sometimes and make me smile.
Amazingly, with over 31,000 miles, I still have original brake pads and once-resurfaced rotors. I've taken this car on a twisty, fast-paced drive through the Ozarks, too. I still have to wonder if the short brake life commonly associated with the IS is mainly due to the traffic conditions some owners face. Out here in KC, traffic is well-managed, and what's more is that my under-20-minute commute doesn't involve any interstates. Thankfully, too, since I really do prefer the F Sport brake pads. They respond very well - better than any of the aforementioned cars I tested. Even the Stinger GT, which is hyped to no end, had mushier brakes, though, it was probably the closest in terms of feel to the IS out of anything else I've driven. I believe that's just the way Lexus tunes their brakes - even the 2019 ES 350 loaner I had recently features a responsive, reassuring pedal.

I do sometimes wish the IS was quieter. I acknowledge I don't have the highest-end tires - BFGoodrich is like discount-Michelin - that are naturally not as quiet as the top-tier brands. However, even the OEM tires were similarly noisy. This could be solved with a switch to another tire, but no other car I've tested yet has had as much road noise as my IS. I don't think that's a coincidence. For this reason, I'm considering upgrading to a GS. I'm told it drives a lot like the IS, but larger. Having driven a Jaguar XF recently, which is in the same size category as the GS, I can say I'm comfortable with the size. If it handles like the XF, too, then we might have a winner.

I'm still wondering if I want to jump ship from the Lexus brand. Owning this car, in the beginning, felt like jumping into the deep end. I didn't do nearly as much research then as I am now, even months in advance of my next car purchase. That said, most people I've talked to have been either A) unimpressed that I have a Lexus, not realizing the IS isn't an ES or B) impressed that I had the restraint to get the Lexus, given its reliability. I really can't deny the performance credentials of some other options in my budget are better, particularly in acceleration. But, there's something reassuring about the IS, in many areas, from the fact that it always runs and never has any warning lights, to the way it takes a corner at speed. I'll miss that level of trust in a car, but hopefully, my next one will have that, too.
Old 09-01-19, 10:27 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for sharing. When you start wondering about jumping to other brands, which brands are you fantasizing about? I know it's not Acura, so one of the Euro offerings?
Old 09-01-19, 11:29 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

@arentz07 , I read this complete thread since it was brought back up to the top and wanted to let you know what a great review this is for the community and future buyers. I enjoyed this read as it brought me back memories and feelings of this car when I first got it as well back in September of 2016. The feeling of "I've made it", the admiration of the interior and exterior looks, and how the car was rarely seen on the roads back then is all relatable and brought back feelings of nostalgia throughout the read.

Out of curiosity, how come you still have the car for another 7 months? If I did my math correctly you got the car around November-December of 2016, so shouldn't the lease be coming to an end soon?

Also, I know you're loyal to the brand but what else are you considering outside of Lexus?

Last edited by premier3IS; 09-01-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 09:04 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Thanks for sharing. When you start wondering about jumping to other brands, which brands are you fantasizing about? I know it's not Acura, so one of the Euro offerings?
I've been kicking around a few options, but mainly I was looking at the Kia Stinger, Genesis G70 (preferably the Sport 3.3T), a CPO BMW 340i, or perhaps a brand-new 330i (M340i might be a bit of a stretch for me), and... brace yourself, a VW GTI or Golf R. I've even pondered going for a CPO Audi A4 or S3. I've even seriously given thought to driving a MX-5 RF. I need to trim my short-list, I think. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to prioritize "fun" or "luxury" (both in quotes due to their subjectivity), but I am thinking I want a blend of both, as you might get in an IS.

Originally Posted by premier3IS
@arentz07 , I read this complete thread since it was brought back up to the top and wanted to let you know what a great review this is for the community and future buyers. I enjoyed this read as it brought me back memories and feelings of this car when I first got it as well back in September of 2016. The feeling of "I've made it", the admiration of the interior and exterior looks, and how the car was rarely seen on the roads back then is all relatable and brought back feelings of nostalgia throughout the read.

Out of curiosity, how come you still have the car for another 7 months? If I did my math correctly you got the car around November-December of 2016, so shouldn't the lease be coming to an end soon?

Also, I know you're loyal to the brand but what else are you considering outside of Lexus?
I've got a 42-month lease, so it'll be up in April. So really, almost 8 months I believe.

Thanks for checking it out again. I'm not going to say I am super-duper-loyal to Lexus, as this has been my first. That said, I owned two Toyotas in a row and liked the idea of getting a premium car made by the same company, with the same reliability track record. But as mentioned above, there are a lot of possibilities, but I think generally "sport sedan" is still the overwhelming category.
Old 09-02-19, 09:22 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

The only vehicle attracting me at the moment besides my IS300
is the new S5 coupe. Actually I liked the lines of the older A5/S5
better. Just a dream at the moment. Maybe I will just stick with
the reliability of Lexus.
Old 09-02-19, 07:49 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I've been kicking around a few options, but mainly I was looking at the Kia Stinger, Genesis G70 (preferably the Sport 3.3T), a CPO BMW 340i, or perhaps a brand-new 330i (M340i might be a bit of a stretch for me), and... brace yourself, a VW GTI or Golf R. I've even pondered going for a CPO Audi A4 or S3. I've even seriously given thought to driving a MX-5 RF.
What is it about Acura that you don't like? I'm thinking about the TLX Type-S (when it's out) but kinda want a Lexus more because it'll be made in Japan and will indubitably be more reliable than any Acura.

The gearbox seems to respond more quickly when the engine RPMs are higher, and the shifts are executed more quickly as well.
Could I trouble you to elaborate on this part of the review? I was watching some YouTube videos on the GS350 AWD (there seem to be more of those than of the IS350) and in several cases, I noticed that there is a noticeable delay between the paddle shifters' actuation and the transmission performing the shift.

If the rpms are higher, and you hit the paddle, you're saying that it definitely shifts much faster then? Could it be that the F-Sport has special transmission tuning vs the non F-Sport models?
Old 09-02-19, 09:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by GNS
What is it about Acura that you don't like? I'm thinking about the TLX Type-S (when it's out) but kinda want a Lexus more because it'll be made in Japan and will indubitably be more reliable than any Acura.
That is actually a good question. To be fair, I didn't mention the Infiniti sedans either, nor did I mention the Volvo or Alfa Romeo options. However, I do think Acura and Lexus sometimes have a similar buyer GENERALLY speaking, but perhaps not so much for cars like the IS.

The current TLX is based on the previous-gen Accord platform. While the Accord is known as a great car to drive in the midsize family sedan segment, it's never going to be equal to something with a better weight balance when it comes to agility (turn-in response, lack of understeer tendencies). The TLX rides on that same Accord platform and carries with it the same issues. SH-AWD is known to be a way to remedy this problem, since it can essentially pull the outside of the car through a corner, reducing understeer. I'd think that would make for a pretty good car to drive on a back road, and perhaps that's what I want and don't realize it. However, I don't care for the interior design or infotainment of the TLX as it currently sits, and I don't forsee the new one being unveiled prior to my next car purchase. The exterior, while great for a front-wheel-drive-based car, is also not my cup of tea when it comes to proportions and doesn't look as expensive as even the IS in its base form. You really have to get the A-Spec to get a decent looking TLX, and by then it's rather expensive, solidly in IS 350 F Sport territory if not slightly above.

The Q50 has a similar problem in its platform, but for a different reason. The Nissan FM platform dates back to the G35, which has been around for well over a decade. Having driven several cars of varying age recently, I can tell that the recency of the introduction of a car's architecture is very important. Take, for example, the ES. If you've driven a 2018 or earlier ES, which was based on the previous-generation Avalon (or Camry if you want), you probably noticed it was a bit aloof and imprecise, even in day-to-day driving situations. I also owned a 2015 Camry, and I think the same thing could be said of that car - thankfully to a lesser extent due to its smaller size. Since then, we have had both a new Camry and ES released, and they are worlds better-feeling to drive than their predecessors. They feel stiff and tight, but I don't mean in terms of ride quality. The bones of the car are just more solid, and this is immediately apparent the moment you hit uneven pavement. The suspension actually does its job, and there is a lack of vibration in the car. The steering, too, responds more quickly. Now, this is because technology has moved on, and Toyota has gotten better at spot-welds, adhesives, and other things that improve the stiffness of the chassis. I'm sure you could say the same for Nissan, but they haven't applied said tech to the Q50. Aside from that, I just really don't like the dual-screen infotainment setup, nor do I like the look of the dash or interior design in general... So, some similarities exist between why I am not attracted to the Q50 as the TLX.

If I can find a TLX at the right price, with SH-AWD and A-Spec, I might give it a look, but even on paper it's just not my favorite.

Originally Posted by GNS
Could I trouble you to elaborate on this part of the review? I was watching some YouTube videos on the GS350 AWD (there seem to be more of those than of the IS350) and in several cases, I noticed that there is a noticeable delay between the paddle shifters' actuation and the transmission performing the shift.

If the rpms are higher, and you hit the paddle, you're saying that it definitely shifts much faster then? Could it be that the F-Sport has special transmission tuning vs the non F-Sport models?
Good point, I was pretty unclear in the way I explained that. I'm going on forever here, so I will try to sum up how I think it works.

There's lag. No doubt about that. I've driven a few vehicles with the ZF 8-speed, Porsche PDK, - heck, even the Stinger's 8-speed - and they all have less lag than the IS's 6-speed. The PDK in particular is unreal - there's no lag at all, unless you just cold-started the car and are trundling around slowly. The 8-speed in the RWD IS 350 seemed a bit better, but it was also a pretty short drive and mostly in Sport+ mode, so take that with a grain of salt. However, the AWD's trans does respond just a little quicker under the following conditions:
  • The car's warmed up
  • You're in M (manual) gear mode
  • You're giving it a decent amount of throttle input (regardless of RPM, as I might have incorrectly stated above)
What I've realized over time is that this is due to the fact that it's a torque-converter automatic. To make the shifts as quick as possible, you need to give the engine some gas. There will still be some delay from the time you pull the paddle, but the shift itself will occur sooner if you're driving faster. Some owners on this forum claim Sport mode makes a difference, too, but I don't know that for sure - if so, it's imperceptible to me.
Old 09-03-19, 05:15 PM
GNS
Intermediate

That is actually a good question. To be fair, I didn't mention the Infiniti sedans either, nor did I mention the Volvo or Alfa Romeo options. However, I do think Acura and Lexus sometimes have a similar buyer GENERALLY speaking, but perhaps not so much for cars like the IS.

The current TLX is based on the previous-gen Accord platform. While the Accord is known as a great car to drive in the midsize family sedan segment, it's never going to be equal to something with a better weight balance when it comes to agility (turn-in response, lack of understeer tendencies). The TLX rides on that same Accord platform and carries with it the same issues. SH-AWD is known to be a way to remedy this problem, since it can essentially pull the outside of the car through a corner, reducing understeer. I'd think that would make for a pretty good car to drive on a back road, and perhaps that's what I want and don't realize it. However, I don't care for the interior design or infotainment of the TLX as it currently sits, and I don't forsee the new one being unveiled prior to my next car purchase. The exterior, while great for a front-wheel-drive-based car, is also not my cup of tea when it comes to proportions and doesn't look as expensive as even the IS in its base form. You really have to get the A-Spec to get a decent looking TLX, and by then it's rather expensive, solidly in IS 350 F Sport territory if not slightly above.

The Q50 has a similar problem in its platform, but for a different reason. The Nissan FM platform dates back to the G35, which has been around for well over a decade. Having driven several cars of varying age recently, I can tell that the recency of the introduction of a car's architecture is very important. Take, for example, the ES. If you've driven a 2018 or earlier ES, which was based on the previous-generation Avalon (or Camry if you want), you probably noticed it was a bit aloof and imprecise, even in day-to-day driving situations. I also owned a 2015 Camry, and I think the same thing could be said of that car - thankfully to a lesser extent due to its smaller size. Since then, we have had both a new Camry and ES released, and they are worlds better-feeling to drive than their predecessors. They feel stiff and tight, but I don't mean in terms of ride quality. The bones of the car are just more solid, and this is immediately apparent the moment you hit uneven pavement. The suspension actually does its job, and there is a lack of vibration in the car. The steering, too, responds more quickly. Now, this is because technology has moved on, and Toyota has gotten better at spot-welds, adhesives, and other things that improve the stiffness of the chassis. I'm sure you could say the same for Nissan, but they haven't applied said tech to the Q50. Aside from that, I just really don't like the dual-screen infotainment setup, nor do I like the look of the dash or interior design in general... So, some similarities exist between why I am not attracted to the Q50 as the TLX.

If I can find a TLX at the right price, with SH-AWD and A-Spec, I might give it a look, but even on paper it's just not my favorite.
Good point on noting that Acura is working off a compromised (performance-wise) platform in that it was meant for a FWD family sedan. The IS is just fundamentally better suited for sporty driving because it is RWD-based.

Also, I wonder just how old the Toyota New N platform is, and whether TNGA-L/N has double wishbone front suspension. I hear you on the Infiniti FM, that thing is like 18 years old now! There is no way I'll buy an Infiniti, knowing that Renault owns Nissan.

Good point, I was pretty unclear in the way I explained that. I'm going on forever here, so I will try to sum up how I think it works.

There's lag. No doubt about that. I've driven a few vehicles with the ZF 8-speed, Porsche PDK, - heck, even the Stinger's 8-speed - and they all have less lag than the IS's 6-speed. The PDK in particular is unreal - there's no lag at all, unless you just cold-started the car and are trundling around slowly. The 8-speed in the RWD IS 350 seemed a bit better, but it was also a pretty short drive and mostly in Sport+ mode, so take that with a grain of salt. However, the AWD's trans does respond just a little quicker under the following conditions:
  • The car's warmed up
  • You're in M (manual) gear mode
  • You're giving it a decent amount of throttle input (regardless of RPM, as I might have incorrectly stated above)
What I've realized over time is that this is due to the fact that it's a torque-converter automatic. To make the shifts as quick as possible, you need to give the engine some gas. There will still be some delay from the time you pull the paddle, but the shift itself will occur sooner if you're driving faster. Some owners on this forum claim Sport mode makes a difference, too, but I don't know that for sure - if so, it's imperceptible to me.
I'm not looking for dual clutch speed or anything, but fast shifts like on the LC500 would be really nice. If I'm giving up my manual to go automatic, I don't want a slow shifting transmission. I suppose I'll have to test drive a 2020 IS350 AWD F-SPORT next year, but here's hoping that the 4IS will get that TTV6 and an 8 or 10 speed.

My list of possible upgrades include the Stinger GT AWD, TLX Type-S and IS350, and honestly I'm leaning towards the Lexus knowing that it'll be super reliable, it can be fully serviced (the Stinger GT's transfer case oil doesn't have a drain plug!), The AWD system seems really robust and simple, and it has a tight turning radius. My only hang-up is whether I'll enjoy driving it at all speeds, fast or slow, and I'll find that out next year when I'm ready to buy.
Old 09-03-19, 06:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by GNS
Good point on noting that Acura is working off a compromised (performance-wise) platform in that it was meant for a FWD family sedan. The IS is just fundamentally better suited for sporty driving because it is RWD-based.

Also, I wonder just how old the Toyota New N platform is, and whether TNGA-L/N has double wishbone front suspension. I hear you on the Infiniti FM, that thing is like 18 years old now! There is no way I'll buy an Infiniti, knowing that Renault owns Nissan.
Yeah the New N actually isn't old at all. It was introduced for the Lexus GS back in 2012. Now, you can trace the N back into the 90's but I think the IS feels similarly rigid and refined to other competing cars out there, possibly due in part to the 2012 revision of the platform.

Originally Posted by GNS
I'm not looking for dual clutch speed or anything, but fast shifts like on the LC500 would be really nice. If I'm giving up my manual to go automatic, I don't want a slow shifting transmission. I suppose I'll have to test drive a 2020 IS350 AWD F-SPORT next year, but here's hoping that the 4IS will get that TTV6 and an 8 or 10 speed.

My list of possible upgrades include the Stinger GT AWD, TLX Type-S and IS350, and honestly I'm leaning towards the Lexus knowing that it'll be super reliable, it can be fully serviced (the Stinger GT's transfer case oil doesn't have a drain plug!), The AWD system seems really robust and simple, and it has a tight turning radius. My only hang-up is whether I'll enjoy driving it at all speeds, fast or slow, and I'll find that out next year when I'm ready to buy.
Yeah I think it'll be down to priorities then. I think the Lexus products, outside of F models, can feel a bit dumbed-down compared to something like the Stinger, the Jaguar sedans, BMWs... but, the Lexus cars do excel in some areas, and I think the aforementioned platform is one of them. The chassis just feels a bit more connected than most. Also, the seats in the IS are great. They give you confidence to take corners faster than you normally would. I let a friend drive my IS today, and he said it more than once - "These seats are great."

But yeah the transmission is ok. If you aren't going to be using the paddles, it probably wouldn't bother you at all.
Old 09-04-19, 07:48 AM
Tlam94
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my is350f sport offers almost everything i could ask for. ive always wanted a g35 coupe growing up but realize a coupe is very inconvenient as a daily driver.
the is gives the sporty feeling ive been craving without the compromise of practicality and more importantly reliability.
Old 09-05-19, 09:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I don't think the 3IS interior aged well. I said this before, even during my ownership. It's a bit radical in its design. Sharp edges, edgey in general. Those kind of designs look great at the time but age very poorly. I think we'll see a nice, but more conservative design next time around. But props to lexus for being bold and taking a chance. This radical design is what helped put Lexus on the sporty sedan radar. They didn't have a choice. Other competitors are matured and established within their segment so they can afford to be restrained.
Old 09-05-19, 09:39 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by E46CT
I don't think the 3IS interior aged well. I said this before, even during my ownership. It's a bit radical in its design. Sharp edges, edgey in general. Those kind of designs look great at the time but age very poorly. I think we'll see a nice, but more conservative design next time around. But props to lexus for being bold and taking a chance. This radical design is what helped put Lexus on the sporty sedan radar. They didn't have a choice. Other competitors are matured and established within their segment so they can afford to be restrained.
Eh, I disagree. I think the design evoking the LFA was a good idea. The center console is not my favorite - though this was partially fixed in the 2017 refresh with some nicer materials - but I generally like the dash design. The fact that there's no stuck-on, iPad-like screen will help to reduce dated-ness, and the choice of just a few different textures - soft-touch plastic, metal-look trim, and wood/metal inlays - helps keep it from being busy. I think it has other weak points, too, like the egregiously scratchy steering wheel airbag cover, but everything is nice to look at, again, something you don't get in all the competitors. If you compare this car's insides to, say, the F30 3-series, it's no contest. The IS is more distinctive and has nicer materials, especially the headliner. Oh and the seats of the IS are great - no one will dispute that - and great-looking in red.

Then you have cars like the Stinger which just use quality materials for everything and have little to hide. I think really, that's where interiors have moved on. Manufacturers have gotten better at injecting quality where it is most noticeable. Hopefully the new IS will too. If the ES/UX are any indication, it will have a more conservative design, with more satin-finish metal than chrome as well as smoother, more horizontally-oriented details.
Old 09-06-19, 12:15 PM
GNS
Intermediate

I also just realized something - aren't the paddle shifters in the IS more like shift range limiters? So if you're in M3 or S3, that just means that it will shift between gears 1 and 3 but no higher unless you're rolling downhill or something. Would this explain why the shift will be faster when you drive faster? Because the revs are higher as you're flooring the pedal and going for it, and when you upshift, it will respond quicker because the revs are already in the range where it should have already shifted into that upper gear? Does that make sense to you?

Quick Reply: 18-month ownership review | IS 300 F Sport