18-month ownership review | IS 300 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 04:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,912 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
Do all season tires get better tread life or summer tires? I only care for tread life and since I'm in southern cali, it never snows or hardly even rains.
I think it's down to the individual tire, but yes, generally speaking most all-season tires get better tread life. Obviously, ultra-high-performance all-seasons like the ones I am running are not going to be the best-wearing, especially on a somewhat heavy car like the IS.
Old 02-29-20, 05:49 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Hey everyone, as this thread has sort of evolved into a series of long-term updates and questions on my thoughts on the IS, I figured it'd be a good place to share an important update... The IS is gone, and I've replaced it with a VW GTI. It's an Autobahn with Performance Package, and the DSG transmission.

More on that bad boy here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-gti-now.html

As for the IS, it's been an incredible run. The IS seems to be a pretty quirky vehicle in retrospect. The cabin layout doesn't even consider cupholders first-class interior features, has a very stylized environment that people either love or hate, and the driving demeanor seems to be unsure whether it is executive or sport at times. That said, it was a pleasure to drive every single time, and I must say, it was a relatively unique car, too.

Most of my thoughts on the IS haven't really changed a lot since my last update, to be honest. If I had to recommend anything to future IS owners, I have just a few points.
  • Make sure you are okay with spending a bit more on tires. For one thing, it has the dreaded inner tire wear issue, which causes front tires to wear down their inner edges in around 20,000 miles or less. In theory, installing stiffer front lower control arm bushings can help to reduce this problem.
  • On the topic of tires, they are very important to the character of this car. The OE Bridgestones (specifically, the all-season tires) are not great in any regard, especially when it comes to wet and snow traction, where they are downright disappointing. Installing better tires should be a top priority.
  • Decide what is important to you, when it comes to a smooth ride, fast acceleration, or good handling characteristics. Though the IS can generally be a bit distant and lazy, getting the F Sport package, particularly with RWD, can make it a bit more joyful to drive fast. The seats are also amazing. I miss them a little already (though the GTI has fairly awesome seats, with great bolstering and yet ease of entry, they just don't match the supportiveness of the IS's).
  • Finally, accept that the IS makes some sacrifices to be what it is. It's practical, but it doesn't have much interior storage space. It has low-profile tires that do not deal with potholes very well. It's a little tricky to get in and out of especially for taller people. However, the tradeoff is a refined, quiet, yet sporty-feeling car that all makes sense once you find a backroad, or once you realize you been driving for an hour with no fatigue.
Here's a photo of my IS I have never shared. My wife and I were driving back from Galveston to KC following a cruise we went on in December. This picture was taken at a rest stop just north of Tulsa, and little did we know that the drizzling rain would soon evolve into a serious snowstorm in a few miles. The IS, with its AWD system, had no problem with it of course.

I'll still be hanging around 3IS Town for the foreseeable future, anyway. I just like talking about this car with you guys. The 3IS truly has a community with quality to match its own.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (02-29-20)
Old 02-29-20, 06:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

You made a great choice. I'd be curious on the handling differences between the two cars. I played with a couple GTIs in the IS350 and they were pretty quick. Sometimes one would fly right by me probably because they were tuned. It's very easy to make those cars fast with a chip. It also has a surprising amount of space in the back. Can't go wrong with a a GTI.
arentz07 (02-29-20)
Old 02-29-20, 07:23 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You made a great choice. I'd be curious on the handling differences between the two cars. I played with a couple GTIs in the IS350 and they were pretty quick. Sometimes one would fly right by me probably because they were tuned. It's very easy to make those cars fast with a chip. It also has a surprising amount of space in the back. Can't go wrong with a a GTI.
I agree, I was impressed with the GTI and I considered one when I was shopping for a new car, but nothing could beat the peace of mind of owning a Toyota product (had never owned a Toyota/Lexus up to that point). If I would have gotten a GTI I definitely would have only kept it for a few years as all Volkswagens do end up having issues (usually electric issues) as they get older. The GTI is QUICK haha I can only imagine an R spec I bet that thing is even more fun to drive.
arentz07 (02-29-20)
Old 02-29-20, 08:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I agree, I was impressed with the GTI and I considered one when I was shopping for a new car, but nothing could beat the peace of mind of owning a Toyota product (had never owned a Toyota/Lexus up to that point). If I would have gotten a GTI I definitely would have only kept it for a few years as all Volkswagens do end up having issues (usually electric issues) as they get older. The GTI is QUICK haha I can only imagine an R spec I bet that thing is even more fun to drive.
My buddy has a tuned Golf R and a Model 3 Performance. The Golf R is the one he will never sell I hear the GTI though is 90% of the R experience and the better buy. Also, my friends with GTIs have had great reliability as they have been well maintained.
Old 02-29-20, 04:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by EZZ
To both of the above, I agree on the Toyota part. However, my priorities shifted a bit with this car. There's still a decent amount of drivetrain warranty left, and I made sure the service history on this new one was completely as recommended by VW. Even the DSG service at 40,000 miles was done, right at 40,100 miles. So that was a nice piece of mind to have. On top of that, it's a lot cheaper than the IS in other ways - insurance, fuel, and tires/brakes, for instance.

I considered the R, but decided it wasn't worth the significant price difference compared to a GTI. I also found the power of the GTI to be more than adequate. The idea of it being slightly lighter due to being only FWD also appealed to me.

Originally Posted by EZZ
My buddy has a tuned Golf R and a Model 3 Performance. The Golf R is the one he will never sell I hear the GTI though is 90% of the R experience and the better buy. Also, my friends with GTIs have had great reliability as they have been well maintained.
Plan to as well. I might go stage 1. We'll see. I don't think the engine will have any problem with more than that, but this is my daily now so... gotta at least keep it civil.
Old 02-29-20, 06:43 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I just want to see how the GTI’s are holding up after 100k miles is all I’m saying. If it goes passed that with no issues then congrats but I don’t have faith. Regardless, definitely a fun ride and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it plenty!
arentz07 (02-29-20)
Old 12-02-20, 01:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

I just want to see how the GTI’s are holding up after 100k miles is all I’m saying. If it goes passed that with no issues then congrats but I don’t have faith. Regardless, definitely a fun ride and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it plenty!
Well, I've gone and dumped the GTI now anyway. It did end up developing some odd suspension noises not long after I bought it. After many months of trying to have them diagnosed by the dealer, my independent shop, and even Tires Plus (I know... but I had to try someone else), no one had any guesses other than "replace the bushings", even though my shop also said the bushings looked brand-new. Maybe the previous owner replaced the bushings, to no avail? Anyway. What was really spooky was not so much that suspension noise as a gradual loss of coolant. Again, had it looked at and no definitive answer as to what it was, only guesses. So, I was topping off the coolant every 3-4 months. Not fun.

On top of that, my wife and I were both somewhat uncomfortable with the limited amount of CPO warranty left on the GTI and decided maybe it'd be best to just get something new. This was made easier by the fact that we only had a few months' worth of payments left on her car. So, we killed off that loan and went to the VW dealer. Bam, just like that, I traded in the GTI for a new, 2020, GLI.

Gotta say, I am not missing the GTI as much as I thought I would. The GLI rides a lot smoother and just looks and feels a little fresher. Other than the OE tires being a joke, it handles quite nicely, too, and though it doesn't feel like a "GTI sedan" like many reviewers would have you believe, it still is equally fun and handles great. Oh, and it is very, very red. I wrote a whole thread on that guy here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-2020-gli.html

So, sadly, I cannot comment on the GTI's long-term reliability.