IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Member - 2018 IS350 F-sport AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18 | 08:03 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2XLXTN
The only one that really "felt" night and day different in the power department was the S4. That car just grips and goes. It launches hard and feels great when you punch the throttle. It also has the coolest gauge cluster/infotainment system of any car out there right now. Audi Virtual Cockpit is just beyond cool. It's also a very "controlled" car if that makes any sense. It's fast and you feel it, but it's missing "feel." The handling kind of feels like a video game. Almost no feedback at all. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different.
I love hearing about the power that you described, but the lack of handling feel would be a massive turnoff for me. My current car has a very responsive hydraulic steering rack that gives great feedback, and I would find it hard to suddenly give that up.

The 440i was a really enjoyable car, and while it's faster than the IS350, it doesn't really feel like it is. The IS does a great job of feeling faster than it really is. The 440i is every bit what you'd expect from BMW...it's a great car and if you got it, you'd probably be super happy with it.
To be honest, I was only half-considering the 340i/M240 because I don't really trust BMW's reliability. I'd lease one without any hesitation, but I tend to buy my cars and hold onto them for at least 8 years or more.

But like I said before, it's hard to put the feeling of the IS350 into words. I took both the S4 and 440i home for a couple days each and returned them to the dealer not really feeling like either car was for me. They both had something missing that I was looking for. The drive modes in both cars are very static. They dial up a setting depending on the mode you're in, and that's the setting. The end.

i drove the IS and was sold in under a minute. It felt like it was responding directly to my input. This is all super subjective of course, so take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. You definitely have to drive them all and decide for yourself.

We're conditioned by the automotive press, YouTube videos, peers, etc to think that we need to have the fastest car in a certain class of vehicles. The IS is constantly knocked by reviewers for being underpowered compared to the competition. While this is true, does it really matter? When you're behind the wheel, you're not driving every car in the segment. You're driving your car. The IS is a lot more than speed or lack of speed. You're not going to be racing people every day (most likely). Other cars may be faster, but that doesn't make the IS slow. Punch the throttle and it still hits you in the chest.

The IS is a very complete, extremely enjoyable package. That's my 2 cents.
Thanks for the impressions of the IS350! And you're right...I'm conditioned to want more power out of my car, but I honestly can't even use more than a fraction in everyday driving. I have yet to test drive the IS350, but I'm going to be doing that next month when I visit my local dealer.

I've also wondered if I should just wait for the next gen IS350, which I believe is only a couple of years away (or less)...but I'll have to think about it and I won't pass up an unbelievable deal on a current gen.

Plus...you can't beat Lexus reliability. That's important. I don't have time for a car to be in the shop, even under warranty. No brainer.
I have been looking at cars from nearly all manufacturers with a specific set of requirements in mind (AWD, roughly 300+ hp, compact, fast and sporty) and I still couldn't find one that I wanted until I started looking at the IS350. It took me a while to figure out why the IS350 appealed to me, and it really came down to the Toyota Production System (adapted for Lexus) and the extra care that Lexus puts into the build process. A huge plus is that it's still built in Japan, in the same plant that makes the LS500 and the Landcruiser / 4Runner.

Like you, I don't have the time or patience for my car to be in the shop, even if warranty is paying for the work. People fail to realize that warranty doesn't magically make the problem go away - the car still has to be brought to the shop, I still have to go home in a loaner, I still get stressed thinking about what happened to my car and whether the dealership techs are doing a good job at fixing it.

Last edited by GNS; 05-16-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-16-18 | 09:25 AM
2XLXTN
Rookie

Originally Posted by GNS
Like you, I don't have the time or patience for my car to be in the shop, even if warranty is paying for the work. People fail to realize that warranty doesn't magically make the problem go away - the car still has to be brought to the shop, I still have to go home in a loaner, I still get stressed thinking about what happened to my car and whether the dealership techs are doing a good job at fixing it.
Sounds like we're very similar in that regard. Warranties are great, but I'd rather not have to use them at all. Case in point - we had a 2016 Ford Explorer that my wife drove. Ford has come a very long way in terms of their quality and service, but our '16 Explorer spent a ton of time in the shop. We had the throttle body go out with 7k miles on the odometer. It resulted in us literally coming to a stop in the middle of the highway because the engine simply shut off. Car was in the shop for 2 weeks for that and they didn't have a loaner for us until the second week.

We had a ton of fit and finish issues which were all covered under warranty, but it resulted in the car spending another 3 cumulative weeks in the shop. Loud rattles at highway speeds, etc. We got rid of it with 27k miles on it and bought a GX460. Planning on running that thing into the ground. After the throttle body issue I'd always have a concern in the back of my mind that I'd be driving my kid around or be in the middle of nowhere on a family road trip and the car would shut down on me again. Warranties don't help much when the car literally becomes a road hazard.

After years of trying out different brands and realizing that we should have just bought from the Toyota tree to begin with, we finally pulled the trigger and couldn't be happier. Fortunately Lexus makes some really fun cars these days. Def go drive the IS350. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 05-16-18 | 09:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GNS
I love hearing about the power that you described, but the lack of handling feel would be a massive turnoff for me. My current car has a very responsive hydraulic steering rack that gives great feedback, and I would find it hard to suddenly give that up.

To be honest, I was only half-considering the 340i/M240 because I don't really trust BMW's reliability. I'd lease one without any hesitation, but I tend to buy my cars and hold onto them for at least 8 years or more.

Thanks for the impressions of the IS350! And you're right...I'm conditioned to want more power out of my car, but I honestly can't even use more than a fraction in everyday driving. I have yet to test drive the IS350, but I'm going to be doing that next month when I visit my local dealer.

I've also wondered if I should just wait for the next gen IS350, which I believe is only a couple of years away (or less)...but I'll have to think about it and I won't pass up an unbelievable deal on a current gen.

I have been looking at cars from nearly all manufacturers with a specific set of requirements in mind (AWD, roughly 300+ hp, compact, fast and sporty) and I still couldn't find one that I wanted until I started looking at the IS350. It took me a while to figure out why the IS350 appealed to me, and it really came down to the Toyota Production System (adapted for Lexus) and the extra care that Lexus puts into the build process. A huge plus is that it's still built in Japan, in the same plant that makes the LS500 and the Landcruiser / 4Runner.

I suggest test driving the BMW 3/4 series just to see what its like. They are pretty reliable these days as they have been making this model number forever but the steering feel is pretty numb (its like a ton of play in the center for some reason). The IS350 is kinda slow from a light as there is no really good way to launch the thing. At speeds though, its pretty quick as the 8 speed keeps the revs high in sport mode. If you are willing to spend a little more, the Audi RS3 is also a decent car and a bit faster.
Old 05-16-18 | 09:53 AM
2XLXTN
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
I suggest test driving the BMW 3/4 series just to see what its like. They are pretty reliable these days as they have been making this model number forever but the steering feel is pretty numb (its like a ton of play in the center for some reason). The IS350 is kinda slow from a light as there is no really good way to launch the thing. At speeds though, its pretty quick as the 8 speed keeps the revs high in sport mode. If you are willing to spend a little more, the Audi RS3 is also a decent car and a bit faster.
Agreed. Def go drive them.

Also agree on the BMW steering. Noticed the play in the center as well.

They're much more reliable than they used to be...especially Audi (according to all the data out there.)
Old 05-16-18 | 10:56 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
My impressions of the 340i come from this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1292652

People report low coolant levels, instrument cluster glitches, gear shifter / mechatronics malfunctions, dead AC compressor, leaking turbo, even a cylinder misfire (details kind of vague on this last one). This is only a small subset of 340i owners, of course. I'll still probably test out a M240i xDrive just to see what it's all about though.