IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Owner feedback needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 11:14 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS Owner feedback needed.

Hello guys, it’s good to be back after a 7 year hiatus from this beloved forum.

Quick introduction—

My name is Johnny and I purchased and owned a 2006 Lexus IS250 6MT since 2008. I have LOVED—and still love the car for what it is. Besides the carbon clean-up recall from Lexus (which was corrected at no cost to me—duh) and the systematic maintenance that is required, I have not spent a dime on this car beyond its minimum requirement...with the exception of modifications that I have volunteeringly done on the side. I still own the car at the time of writing this and I am considering replacing the 250 with a 2017 IS350 FSport.

Which brings me to why I am writing this thread...hoping for some honest and unbiased (yay fanboyism...I do love my Toyota’s) feedback from owners. I hope to...understand and comprehend as many nuances you guys experience as owners and what and how you guys went about addressing the theoretical problems to Lexus, how they responded and hopefully...what compromising solutions they have offered vs what you have to settle for.

I have watched NUMEROUS reviews and have bared a few too many gut wrenching bad reviews in hope that...even in bad taste, would be able to allow me to raise some concerns towards what possible problems of owning this car for the extended amount of time in the future.

So without further ado, here are my concerns (and hopefully at the end, some peace of mind with the possible solution/s...at your cost ).

Interior:
-Infotainment Center - I have read and talked to people about this having possible electrical issues and/or faulty units. At what duration (mileage/usage/number of years owned) have they failed and/or showed sign of give and if the extended warranty—if opted for it at POS, would cover it?
-Gauge Cluster - both mechanical (LFA’s moving cluster) and digital components (LCD screen). How expensive it is/would it be to replace if it were to pose a problem...and has it? How bulletproof it is?
-Dash & door panels - My 2006 IS250 has a dash that—over time, with heat exposure, became soft and sticky. As with my door panels. What has Lexus done to address this for the future models? (They issued a...extended warranty for all models with this.)

Suspension:
-Non-adjustable camber - as with any system that has non-adjustable angles, repair or even replacement of said components can/may/will be a factor. What problems has this posed for you...if any?

Motor:
-As I mentioned, my current IS had a problem of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and had to be serviced by Lexus. They replace pistons, rings and a plethora of other components in the block to fix the issue...while it was done at no cost to me, the consumer...like most consumers, I dislike dealing with dealerships unless I HAVE to.

I know the old IS350 had a better motor when compared to the IS250 because it had direct and port injection so it negated the problems the 250 had to deal with. The new and improved 350 motor is better than ever...especially now that the platform has gone way past its “early adoption” phases, but are there any...not problems, but nuances that you have to deal with as an owner that would cause...in any amount, headaches?

My apologies if it sounds like I am nit-picking apart an already great product (I would never touch the likes of Audi and BMW, Benz...ESPECIALLY in this segment), but I would like to go in prepared...as I bought the IS250 on an impulse at 20 years old...and even though it’s given me great service at minimal headache inducing problems, I would like to be prepared.

The concerns I’ve brought up has included but not limited to. If anyone has other inputs, I would also appreciate your feed back. I am painfully debating between the IS350 FSport and the new Honda Civic Type R, and hopefully with your help, the choice will be easier.

PS. I know the Type R doesn’t belong in his segment, but after a decade of 206hp, “semi-luxury” (what the IS was considered when I purchased mine) segment, I can be pursuaded to settle for less bling and more vroom.

Thank you for taking your time to read and and even more gratitude for any feedback.

-Johnny
Old 05-14-18, 04:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Welcome back to the forum!!

Here are some quick answers to what I know from your inquiry:

Interior:
-Infotainment Center - 2017 has newer system over the 2014-2016, I don't believe there have been any reported issues yet
-Gauge Cluster - No reported issues yet of them failing
-Dash & door panels - Nothing reported on 3IS yet, but then again the oldest ones out there are only 4.5 years old

Suspension:
-Non-adjustable camber - The AWD has factory front camber adjustment, and there are aftermarket options for the rear, as well as for the RWD front camber. Unless you're lowering the vehicle, you will be ok, and even if you do, there are options.
Old 05-14-18, 05:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven't heard of a single gauge cluster failing plus you tend not to use it after the first week as the regular mode is probably the most driver focused.

The motor is bulletproof so nuff said on that. The infotainment hardware was changed in 2015 and you won't hear much about issues on anything but the first year model.

The two cars you are comparing are very different. One is a FWD hot rod while the other is a sporty sedan that's kinda a decent all arounder. You only live once so if you want the race car, I say go for it
Old 05-14-18, 08:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The two cars you are comparing are very different. One is a FWD hot rod while the other is a sporty sedan that's kinda a decent all arounder. You only live once so if you want the race car, I say go for it
It's like I was just telling my coworker, actually. He said his dad wanted something fun and daily-able, and was considering a Civic Si. He was also thinking he wanted AWD if he could get it, so maybe a WRX. My coworker suggested the IS 300 AWD to him, and I kinda had to say the same thing - they are really two different types of cars. He might like the car, but it's also a lot more expensive and feels like it on the inside especially. I think my coworker was probably doing his dad a favor though, tbh - hard to picture a 60-something year-old driving a Civic Si every day and being okay with it.
Old 05-14-18, 09:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

You should have a flawless experience with a 3IS, particularly 2015+. 2017+ is probably even a bit better but if i had to guess, probably quite similar.

Consider a GS too though. It isn't as fresh design wise, but 2016+ is great. you get quite a bit more car, even interior room wise without much of a weight penalty. in one instance, i even saw that a RWD IS weighs MORE than a GS. around 60 lbs.
Old 05-14-18, 11:09 AM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned both a 2014 and 2016 IS350 and I can agree that the infotainment system is much better in the '16 model. Never had a reboot, and no delays whereas the 2014 model rebooted at least once a month on it's own and had delays. 2015 is when they upgraded the hardware for the infotainment system I believe.
Old 05-14-18, 11:52 AM
nhawk
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 IS350 F-sport and I really love every aspect of it. I haven't had any problems so far (everything on the car works flawlessly, but it's only 2 years old with 18k miles), but based on other IS cars I've driven, I would strongly recommend going for both 350 and F-Sport. When i had my last service, the dealer gave me a IS200t loaner and I was shocked at how it basically felt like a corolla (do they have different shocks?!)

The only complaint I have is regarding the paint. I feel that doors and dirt on the road leaves many more nicks than it should for a car of this class, and I've seen others complain about that on the forum too... I'm leasing my car and I plan to get a new lease next year, but I would personally plan on putting some kind of protective coating on whichever car I will considering buying.
Old 05-14-18, 03:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by nhawk
I have a 2016 IS350 F-sport and I really love every aspect of it. I haven't had any problems so far (everything on the car works flawlessly, but it's only 2 years old with 18k miles), but based on other IS cars I've driven, I would strongly recommend going for both 350 and F-Sport. When i had my last service, the dealer gave me a IS200t loaner and I was shocked at how it basically felt like a corolla (do they have different shocks?!)

The only complaint I have is regarding the paint. I feel that doors and dirt on the road leaves many more nicks than it should for a car of this class, and I've seen others complain about that on the forum too... I'm leasing my car and I plan to get a new lease next year, but I would personally plan on putting some kind of protective coating on whichever car I will considering buying.
Yeah, I didn't get PPF on my IS, and I regret it. I don't even drive on the highway on a regular basis, and I still managed to get about a half-dozen rock chips.
Old 05-14-18, 03:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Weird I haven't had that experience. My paint has been nothing but robust. And I'm lowered on sticky summer rubber AND removed the factory protective film strips. Paint is absolutely rock solid. And i drive aggressively too. One of the strongest paint jobs ive had.
Old 05-14-18, 03:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Maybe some colors are more prone to chipping than others.

When I sold my white 3IS with 17k miles on it, I didn't even have one single chip. I currently have 17k miles on my atomic silver GS and it has numerous chips on the front.
Old 05-14-18, 03:23 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

all i can say, is for a 2017 IS compared to your 2006, everything is miles ahead of what it used to be, although i don’t have the 350 i have the same motor. i highly doubt the dash would melt on the newer IS models because the materials don’t feel the same from the 2IS at all, you also won’t have to worry about carbon buildup still. the gauge cluster like someone else said you rarely use after the first couple times moving the tach over. go for the 350 f-sport and i’m sure you won’t regret it.
Old 05-14-18, 05:57 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Thank you for taking time and effort to send feedback! Much appreciated! The love is still strong in this forum.
Old 05-14-18, 06:04 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's like I was just telling my coworker, actually. He said his dad wanted something fun and daily-able, and was considering a Civic Si. He was also thinking he wanted AWD if he could get it, so maybe a WRX. My coworker suggested the IS 300 AWD to him, and I kinda had to say the same thing - they are really two different types of cars. He might like the car, but it's also a lot more expensive and feels like it on the inside especially. I think my coworker was probably doing his dad a favor though, tbh - hard to picture a 60-something year-old driving a Civic Si every day and being okay with it.
I agree. I am 31 years old and couldn’t imagine driving a Civic Si everyday...UNLESS it’s a car purely dedicated for work (I’m actually considering getting an Si for work as I drive 20k+ miles a year [career change 3 years ago] and I would NEVER abuse the 3IS OR the Type R like that).

The main discerning thing about the Type R is that it’s difficult for me to think about going back to a Honda after owning a Lexus for more than a decade...BUT...hate it or love it, The Type R is being hailed as one of the best, if not the BEST FWD hot hatch to hit the market so far. I am attracted to it for the pure driving experience and the exclusivity of the platform.

But...it would be unfair to dismiss the 350FSport when it comes to driving experience as I’ve only driven one for 10 minutes and it was...as I remember: amazing.

FIRST. WORLD. PROBLEMS.
Old 05-14-18, 06:09 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
You should have a flawless experience with a 3IS, particularly 2015+. 2017+ is probably even a bit better but if i had to guess, probably quite similar.

Consider a GS too though. It isn't as fresh design wise, but 2016+ is great. you get quite a bit more car, even interior room wise without much of a weight penalty. in one instance, i even saw that a RWD IS weighs MORE than a GS. around 60 lbs.
YES! I am also peeking at GS’s... it the one thing I cannot stand is the....now, this is a personal opinion: GS’s rear end. I think it is too subdued and...geriatric.

I would love to consider the RC-F but...I hate coupes with a passion. BUT...the GS-F is basically an RC-F in sedan form.
Old 05-14-18, 06:13 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

This is something I personally have NEVER doubted Lexus and in fact, revere them for. My IS250’s paint is still immaculate for what it is. I mean...11 years of rock chips and daily wear and tear is harsh. If I cared enough to do a clay and sealant job on it, I am 95% sure the paint job would still turn heads.

Quick Reply: 3IS Owner feedback needed.