IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Did you buy or lease your Lexus IS?
Buy
70.59%
Lease
29.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Did you buy or lease your IS? Simple poll.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18 | 12:29 PM
pret
Rookie

Consumer reports puts Kia at #3 as of Oct 2017
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/
Old 05-16-18 | 12:44 PM
arentz07

Hm, 21% leasing so far, though it is a small sample. I wonder how that would compare when it comes to Benz's C-class, BMW's 3-series, and other IS alternatives?
Old 05-16-18 | 01:24 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
Hm, 21% leasing so far, though it is a small sample. I wonder how that would compare when it comes to Benz's C-class, BMW's 3-series, and other IS alternatives?
Probably the exact opposite. I leased because I have car ADD and have never "owned" a car for longer than 3 year (even then it's a stretch)...typical is 2 years for me.
Old 05-16-18 | 05:31 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Leasing current car and glad I didnt purchase this thing since I realize the 350 would have been the ideal choice. When my lease is up, I will purchase the next car, most likely an RC350 F-sport or the 3IS. Might also consider a CPO RCF but the logical side of my brain is telling me that is too much power for commuting purposes.
Old 05-17-18 | 07:57 AM
dmavilia
Driver School Candidate

For me, I like to get new cars every 2-3 years. Leasing makes sense for turnover and for purposes of minimizing out-of-pocket costs as well. I only have the car while under warranty, and I usually avoid most of the large service and wear items.

One downside (at least in Massachusetts) is that excise tax is charged based on the car's value, and is charged to the owner regardless of whether you lease or buy. I think the first year I owned my Lexus the tax was $1200. This year (my 3rd year) it was about $400. From a sales tax perspective, in Mass we are charged sales tax on the lease payments only. If you purchase the car, you pay the entire 6.25% sales charge on the full purchase price, regardless of financing or paying cash.

Leasing gives you an easy out to get rid of the car if it was a lemon or if you had a bad accident. Resale value doesn't matter because it's predetermined in the contract.

There is no right or wrong way to do it!
Old 05-17-18 | 08:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dmavilia
For me, I like to get new cars every 2-3 years. Leasing makes sense for turnover and for purposes of minimizing out-of-pocket costs as well. I only have the car while under warranty, and I usually avoid most of the large service and wear items.

One downside (at least in Massachusetts) is that excise tax is charged based on the car's value, and is charged to the owner regardless of whether you lease or buy. I think the first year I owned my Lexus the tax was $1200. This year (my 3rd year) it was about $400. From a sales tax perspective, in Mass we are charged sales tax on the lease payments only. If you purchase the car, you pay the entire 6.25% sales charge on the full purchase price, regardless of financing or paying cash.

Leasing gives you an easy out to get rid of the car if it was a lemon or if you had a bad accident. Resale value doesn't matter because it's predetermined in the contract.

There is no right or wrong way to do it!
Some cars have lousy lease rates and its a better financial decision to purchase rather than lease. For example, I would lease an M3 without hesitation if i wanted a car for just 3 years however, the Audi RS3 has lousy lease rates so I'd probably purchase and drive it for 5 years. Just wanted to put it out there as the type of car can also help you decide.
Old 05-18-18 | 09:41 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Everyone likes pics and graphs. (Link: http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study)
You will note Audi scored only just above the Industry Average...and BMW tied with Toyota (and don't take BMW above Toyota to mean anything, it's in alphabetical order for ties)
I'm sure there are many other lists that may show some positions jockeyed due to what the specific study focuses on.
This is after 3 years of ownership of the vehicle.

JD Power charges companies to use their studies and other materials in their marketing. Personally speaking, I don't trust any data out of JD Power and other similar sites for this very reason (that survey / study data is made specifically for purchase).