IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

No Trans. Flush for Canadian Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 09:51 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No Trans. Flush for Canadian Owners?

Dropped my car off yesterday for a transmission flush and oil change.
The service rep told me that Lexus only does drain and fills for the transmission ($200).
I asked if this was just this particular Lexus dealership or all of them, the answer was all of them.

It's unfortunate that I couldn't get the service I wanted. Just a heads up to anyone else out there considering this.
Old 05-18-18, 10:10 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
The service rep told me that Lexus only does drain and fills for the transmission ($200).
I asked if this was just this particular Lexus dealership or all of them, the answer was all of them.

It's unfortunate that I couldn't get the service I wanted. Just a heads up to anyone else out there considering this.
Darin and fill is the official service recommended, and the dealers would have the tools for that from Toyota.
A flush would be dealer specific if they have the necessary equipment provided by a 3rd party.
Either one is better than nothing, but for sure the flush would be better.
Old 05-18-18, 03:59 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Hmmm I wonder why Lexus doesn’t do a flush service. That would get the fluid from the torque converter out and some new fluid in. I don’t know how I feel about only being able to get a drain and fill.
Old 05-18-18, 04:07 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Life time fluid...
Old 05-18-18, 04:10 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rL-gT
Life time fluid...
You mean “lifetime” fluid lol. As much as I trust Toyota/Lexus nothing is lifetime even their full synthetic transmission fluid.
Old 05-18-18, 04:52 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Life time fluid...
The Supplemental manual does have a fluid replacement interval, so not really lifetime now.
Maybe I'm just old school and think fluids should be changed at some point.
As the line goes...nothing lasts forever
Old 05-18-18, 04:55 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The Supplemental manual does have a fluid replacement interval, so not really lifetime now.
No you’re not old school it’s just common sense that no fluid can last forever. The ATF fluid will break down eventually and the wear on the parts will get worse. I definitely will be doing the drain and fill at least every 40,000 miles or so.
Old 05-18-18, 09:08 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossxup11

I have same thought as SaSnuke that flush would be better but according to a Pro Lexus Technician, he said some people gets issue after transmission fluid Flushed for Lexus's transmission for some reason thus Lexus in Toronto Ontario most don't do flush service anymore, back to the mechanic shop, that guy told me not just Lexus alone but some other vehicles as well, my Brother doesn't believe that she said flush everything out makes the Trans better but the guy said no, too Fresh makes the shifting solenoid goes wrong sometimes, I dont really know who's right who's wrong, i'm going to do the Transmission fluid soon also, what i've done for my old IS was , fill and drain 3 times in 6 months and then 1 time a year, that will clean up the Torque converter.
Old 05-18-18, 10:48 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
I have same thought as SaSnuke that flush would be better but according to a Pro Lexus Technician, he said some people gets issue after transmission fluid Flushed for Lexus's transmission for some reason thus Lexus in Toronto Ontario most don't do flush service anymore, back to the mechanic shop, that guy told me not just Lexus alone but some other vehicles as well, my Brother doesn't believe that she said flush everything out makes the Trans better but the guy said no, too Fresh makes the shifting solenoid goes wrong sometimes, I dont really know who's right who's wrong, i'm going to do the Transmission fluid soon also, what i've done for my old IS was , fill and drain 3 times in 6 months and then 1 time a year, that will clean up the Torque converter.
I'll gladly book you an appointment and take your money from you.

Easy CP sales
Old 05-19-18, 04:47 AM
Solara350
Instructor

I'll gladly book you an appointment and take your money from you.

Easy CP sales
what about Transfer case and rear differential ? do we need to change ?
Old 05-19-18, 06:10 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
what about Transfer case and rear differential ? do we need to change ?
It's just regular gear oil, nothing special as far as I know. I think the rear diff. is 75W-80 and the front has a few options. Probably 80W-90 would be the best choice for the front.
I'd probably change it every couple years, of every 24K Kms...depending on how much you drive.
I think I'm gonna change all the fluids before winter 2018-2019...just so I'm going into the cold weather with fresh fluids.
Old 05-19-18, 08:10 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

It's just regular gear oil, nothing special as far as I know. I think the rear diff. is 75W-80 and the front has a few options. Probably 80W-90 would be the best choice for the front.
I'd probably change it every couple years, of every 24K Kms...depending on how much you drive.
I think I'm gonna change all the fluids before winter 2018-2019...just so I'm going into the cold weather with fresh fluids.
The beauty of RWD we don’t have front diff but we die in snow and ice lol.
Old 05-19-18, 07:54 PM
Solara350
Instructor

that's also my plan ! thanks bro, right now my car drives and shifts so smooth but i HEAR A CLICK (sounds like you hit the Pen to a cup of glass, or a spoon hit the bow) when engaged the gas pedal, like whenever i start to accel. i'm assuming its the brake pad you got any idea or something wrong with the Differential and transfer case ?
Old 07-19-20, 01:22 PM
awdlyfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates from you fellow Canadian guys? Any issues after a drain & fill. Glad I found this thread, was about to call Lexus Oakville for a full flush. Seems to me some people have luck after the service and some don’t. I’m assuming all of us Canadian guys have AWD correct ?
Old 07-19-20, 01:29 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by awdlyfe
Any updates from you fellow Canadian guys? Any issues after a drain & fill. Glad I found this thread, was about to call Lexus Oakville for a full flush. Seems to me some people have luck after the service and some don’t. I’m assuming all of us Canadian guys have AWD correct ?
I’ve done 4 drain n refills on my 2015 Canadian 350 with 88,000km. Lexus Dealer in my city charges $180 tax In, independent mechanic charges me about 45 min labor + I buy amsoil ATF instead of Toyota fluid, costs about $120 per drain n refill. Do a few drain n refills and that’s all you need. I like doing a few back to back than maybe once a year. You’ll get about 3 qts per drain n fill. Car shifts super crisp and smooth.

Quick Reply: No Trans. Flush for Canadian Owners?