IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Giving credit where credit is due. Lexus is going to cover my out of warranty repair.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 08:48 AM
avan3626
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving credit where credit is due. Lexus is going to cover my out of warranty repair.

I was pretty ticked off that the local Lexus dealership wanted $2500 for a busted radio/nav unit on my 2014 IS250. And that's just for the part. I was having reboot and freeze issues on the unit sporadically but never got it checked out so that was my fault. It eventually stopped turning on completely 29 days out of my 4 year warranty!!! I went to two Lexus dealerships and both told me I'm crap out of luck. Lexus corporate would never pay for it and in their experience, I should just eat the cost if I planned to keep the car long term.

I e-mailed Lexus, got a claim filed, and explained my case. I told them about having issues with the radio but owned up to never getting it documented. But considering I'm only 29 days out of warranty and had only drivin' 30k miles or so, I hoped they would stand by the quality of their cars. The radio/nav unit should not be going out like this. I was ready to fight a negative response because according to the dealership, that was what I was expecting. But to my surprise, after two days of e-mailing them and getting an initial response that my case was being looked at, I got a call saying Lexus corporate would cover the cost of the parts. I would only have to cover the labor. But $350 as opposed to ($2,850 for radio/nav unit too)? I'll take it and give Lexus props for taking care of their customer.
Old 05-19-18, 11:24 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by avan3626
I was pretty ticked off that the local Lexus dealership wanted $2500 for a busted radio/nav unit on my 2014 IS250. And that's just for the part. I was having reboot and freeze issues on the unit sporadically but never got it checked out so that was my fault. It eventually stopped turning on completely 29 days out of my 4 year warranty!!! I went to two Lexus dealerships and both told me I'm crap out of luck. Lexus corporate would never pay for it and in their experience, I should just eat the cost if I planned to keep the car long term.

I e-mailed Lexus, got a claim filed, and explained my case. I told them about having issues with the radio but owned up to never getting it documented. But considering I'm only 29 days out of warranty and had only drivin' 30k miles or so, I hoped they would stand by the quality of their cars. The radio/nav unit should not be going out like this. I was ready to fight a negative response because according to the dealership, that was what I was expecting. But to my surprise, after two days of e-mailing them and getting an initial response that my case was being looked at, I got a call saying Lexus corporate would cover the cost of the parts. I would only have to cover the labor. But $350 as opposed to ($2,850 for radio/nav unit too)? I'll take it and give Lexus props for taking care of their customer.
It is really nice to hear that Lexus was willing to do this. It’s not everyday you hear of an auto company willing to cover something even when you’re JUST out of warranty. You might have gotten lucky! Haha
Old 05-19-18, 07:19 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by avan3626

welcome back AVAN, glad they covered you, Lexus Canada are not nice like that, i brought the car in for the NAV issue the girl told me ITS NOT MY CAR, and then she told me MY CAR OUT OF WARRANTY, i did not buy the car there, i have been driven it with SCREWED UP NAV for years now my car really out of warranty, still get the issue sometimes but not like before or BLACK OUT, i can't believe Lexus Canada TOronto let me drive a 50k$ car with Fked up Navigation