IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesign for 2019? 2020?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 07:20 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Default Redesign for 2019? 2020?

The Lexus styling is rapidly evolving with the introduction of the redesigned LS, ES, and new UX, and I feel the design of the IS now lags significantly behind even despite some changes made in 2017. So when do you think the IS will be redesigned to match the new models?

I for one would expect to see a more aggressive grille pattern on non F sport models, LED clusters as headlights that integrate the LED strip more, and an interior with more detailed patterns and a swooping design.

Given how how popular this car is I wouldn’t expect Lexus to ignore it for long. But how long?
Old 05-31-18, 07:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I wouldn't expect anything major before 2020 or 2021.
Old 05-31-18, 08:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

My money is on something being revealed in the later part of the year 2019 or early 2020, possibly for a MY 2021 car. By doing this, Lexus would have had 7 model years of the current-generation car, which is par for the course for the brand.
Old 05-31-18, 08:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Probably 2021. I think from what I read development starts this year. They've probably got the design down.

I hope for an improved 4-turbo and a TT V6.

I hope for a directly mounted rear subframe and at least 150 lbs less weight.

i hope for a new front suspension and brake design. The one we have now is kind of tired.

needless to say, we'll get a better designed chassis with stronger (in terms of mPa) and better placed metals, more adhesives, and more points of laser welds. I want to see side collision strength and roof strength on par with the C Class.

i want to see acceleration performance on par with the 3 Series
Old 08-25-18, 09:01 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

First comes the new 3 series, leaked images already show a digital gauges much like the 8 series gauges and larger Navi screen closer to the driver touchscreen, 121lb weight reduction. It will be revealed this fall at the Paris Motor show. It seems the new IS always gets released right after the new 3 series. The 3 series code name G20 will be on sale in Spring of 2019. So I’m assuming the 4Gen IS will be fall of 2020. Seems like such a long time to wait.

Personally I’m at a crossroads there is not a car I’m in love with right now enough for me to purchase. I’m in the market to buy but there is nothing that interests me. I couldn’t buy the latest 3 series or IS series when there is a new one right around the corner. I’ve even considered a sport UT something I’ve never bought before but don’t like the RX too big and NX not sporty enough, too many women driving those doesn’t feel like a guys sports utility. I thought of the new X4 but the back end is horrendous and too bloated I’m sure it’s a blast to drive but the styling outside I’m not crazy about, inside is nice though. Then I thought of the GLC43 AMG coupe but dislike the nav screen and controls. Then I realized I probably don’t really want coupe utility.

So I’m back to waiting for either the new 3 series or the new IS. I miss the time back in 2006 when I knew without a doubt that I wanted a IS 350 and I waited 1 more year and bought a 2007 IS 350 and fell in love with that car, loved the looks outside and loved it even more inside the cabin, the adaptive xenon headlights the ML and navigation, park distance, electroluminescent display, power tilt wheel....it was true sports but also luxury...to this day the looks of that car still turns my head when I see one on the road. I’m trying to hold out 2 more yrs for the IS but it’s hard waiting.
Old 08-25-18, 09:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd get the new S4/5 Sportback or RS3 in that price range. The current IS is old.
Old 08-26-18, 07:34 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
First comes the new 3 series, leaked images already show a digital gauges much like the 8 series gauges and larger Navi screen closer to the driver touchscreen, 121lb weight reduction. It will be revealed this fall at the Paris Motor show. It seems the new IS always gets released right after the new 3 series. The 3 series code name G20 will be on sale in Spring of 2019. So I’m assuming the 4Gen IS will be fall of 2020. Seems like such a long time to wait.

Personally I’m at a crossroads there is not a car I’m in love with right now enough for me to purchase. I’m in the market to buy but there is nothing that interests me. I couldn’t buy the latest 3 series or IS series when there is a new one right around the corner. I’ve even considered a sport UT something I’ve never bought before but don’t like the RX too big and NX not sporty enough, too many women driving those doesn’t feel like a guys sports utility. I thought of the new X4 but the back end is horrendous and too bloated I’m sure it’s a blast to drive but the styling outside I’m not crazy about, inside is nice though. Then I thought of the GLC43 AMG coupe but dislike the nav screen and controls. Then I realized I probably don’t really want coupe utility.

So I’m back to waiting for either the new 3 series or the new IS. I miss the time back in 2006 when I knew without a doubt that I wanted a IS 350 and I waited 1 more year and bought a 2007 IS 350 and fell in love with that car, loved the looks outside and loved it even more inside the cabin, the adaptive xenon headlights the ML and navigation, park distance, electroluminescent display, power tilt wheel....it was true sports but also luxury...to this day the looks of that car still turns my head when I see one on the road. I’m trying to hold out 2 more yrs for the IS but it’s hard waiting.
you could go for the X3 M40i, that’s a very quick and stylish SUV for the time being
Old 08-28-18, 01:44 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Rumours the next IS would come with 2.4 turbo... that sounds exciting already.. looking forward to it.
Old 08-28-18, 05:57 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350

I hear you man. I ended up buying my 2018 IS because I couldn't wait any longer. Agree with the comments that the IS is still based and built on an old design/setup but I've been eyeing the IS since the 2nd generation - the body style, aggressive stance and other features uniquely stood out among the crowd IMO and I've always loved that look it had/has. Really nothing else really called out to me brand-wise and I wasn't planning to spend over $50K on a car OTD at this time. Also, my wife will need a new SUV soon so we figured we'd get a new car "for me" now and get hers some time later so we won't get a double whammy with 2 car purchases at the same time.

I've heard rumors as well about a redesign for the IS as others mentioned, but I've also heard that Lexus was planning to discontinue the IS line since it's not their best seller anymore. I believe the GS and ES models are their best sellers currently. At this point, it's all speculation but it'd be really sad if it were true that the IS line was going to be discontinued in the future.
Old 08-28-18, 06:13 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I hear you man. I ended up buying my 2018 IS because I couldn't wait any longer. Agree with the comments that the IS is still based and built on an old design/setup but I've been eyeing the IS since the 2nd generation - the body style, aggressive stance and other features uniquely stood out among the crowd IMO and I've always loved that look it had/has. Really nothing else really called out to me brand-wise and I wasn't planning to spend over $50K on a car OTD at this time. Also, my wife will need a new SUV soon so we figured we'd get a new car "for me" now and get hers some time later so we won't get a double whammy with 2 car purchases at the same time.

I've heard rumors as well about a redesign for the IS as others mentioned, but I've also heard that Lexus was planning to discontinue the IS line since it's not their best seller anymore. I believe the GS and ES models are their best sellers currently. At this point, it's all speculation but it'd be really sad if it were true that the IS line was going to be discontinued in the future.
GS is definitely not the best seller which is more than likely why it will be axed, especially with the new ES.
Old 08-28-18, 07:02 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

^ Oh interesting to know. I know the ES has been the best selling model for Lexus recently especially with the new 2019, but thought the GS was up there as well moreso than the IS line.
Old 08-28-18, 07:11 AM
phreze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS sales are weak and it is struggling to find a home in the line up according to several high volume dealers. The consensus is it will be going away, at least for now, sometime in the next two years.
Old 08-28-18, 09:10 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
^ Oh interesting to know. I know the ES has been the best selling model for Lexus recently especially with the new 2019, but thought the GS was up there as well moreso than the IS line.
The RX and NX are higher sellers than the ES as well.
Old 08-28-18, 11:00 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Given the current market and trend for crossovers and SUV's, I can honestly see this car dying completely. Sales of the IS have never been stellar or anywhere near BMW 3 series level. That works great in our favor IMO, because it makes our cars more exclusive. Any car gathering I go to, I rarely see any 3rd gens. And it's not because they're bad or ugly cars, it's because sales are low. But low sales are the death knell for a model. Low sales plus a market shifting heavily towards bigger, taller cars is a dagger. It's likely that the GS would replace the IS and satisfy Lexus' small car customer base. Look what happened to the ATS, and that was a great looking, handling, and performing car (I owned one before this). Just being a great car doesn't count for much these days. I get a LOT of "why would you want a car so small and low to the ground, I'd feel so unsafe" comments/reactions to my IS, and the ATS before that. Especially among the millennial crowd, which has more and more buying power these days.
Old 08-28-18, 11:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The IS will keep going and is far more important to the Lexus lineup than the GS as the ES will replace the midsize segment. Same with BMW as their 3 series is also far more important than their 5 due to volume of sales. I'm hoping they make the IS more competitive in performance using their new turbo V6.

Quick Reply: Redesign for 2019? 2020?