IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 09:18 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Check out the damage due to a small peeble during a business trip last week in Georgia.
Old 06-03-18, 07:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Gotta get a new one. Get the OEM version. Much better
Old 06-04-18, 07:21 AM
suginathan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This exact same thing happened to me! I kept hearing it was better to get the original but now I am seeing that the OEM is better. Any reason?
Old 06-04-18, 08:10 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

it's a claim on your insurance if you use them and the oem will cost $700+ if you don't. call a neighborhood glass guy and have him use a 3rd party supplier...$250 installed. oem cracks easily too. why pay 3x for glass that's not any better?
Old 06-04-18, 08:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The OEM is the original version and is acoustic glass so its quieter than a standard insurance replacement. I claimed mine on my insurance and just paid the difference between the insurance version and the OEM. It was only $9 difference
Old 06-04-18, 09:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

^EZZ

Did you mean "laminated glass?" The international standard for decades now calls for laminated glass on all windshields. Every. Car. Has. Them. Ford Mustang, Kia, Ferrari. This means whether it's OE (the term is not OEM) or aftermarket (safelite), it's an international standard. All windshields are laiminated or "acoustic." Is there a special windshield for the IS??

Since our cars (that I know of) don't even get the option of actual acoustic (laminated) front-SIDE glass as the GS and LS does, I'm not sure how or why it would be offered with a special windshield. I checked parts diagrams and see no special windshield for any IS model. What are you referring to?
Old 06-04-18, 10:14 AM
noobula3is
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Geico and they gave me an oem windshield at no cost to me
Old 06-04-18, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
^EZZ

Did you mean "laminated glass?" The international standard for decades now calls for laminated glass on all windshields. Every. Car. Has. Them. Ford Mustang, Kia, Ferrari. This means whether it's OE (the term is not OEM) or aftermarket (safelite), it's an international standard. All windshields are laiminated or "acoustic." Is there a special windshield for the IS??

Since our cars (that I know of) don't even get the option of actual acoustic (laminated) front-SIDE glass as the GS and LS does, I'm not sure how or why it would be offered with a special windshield. I checked parts diagrams and see no special windshield for any IS model. What are you referring to?
I didn't know that all aftermarket has the acoustic layer. The dealer recommended the OEM glass because of this layer. Whats the difference between Original Equipment glass and Original Equipment Manufacturer glass? Same thing to me. Safelite also refers to it as OEM and i don't ever see the term OE anywhere before

https://www.safelite.com/help-center...e-do/our-glass
Old 06-04-18, 03:29 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I didn't know that all aftermarket has the acoustic layer. The dealer recommended the OEM glass because of this layer. Whats the difference between Original Equipment glass and Original Equipment Manufacturer glass? Same thing to me. Safelite also refers to it as OEM and i don't ever see the term OE anywhere before

https://www.safelite.com/help-center...e-do/our-glass
The hierarchy is

Genuine
OE
OEM
Aftermarket

Genuine and OE are pretty much the same. Interchangeable.
OEM is just as good, IMO.

Windshields are typically only offered Genuine but there's many great aftermarket companies that do windshields. It's a big business.

All cars made within the last 20+ years or so come from the factory with laminated front windshield. It's a piece of plastic film in between two thin sheets of glass. The film has inherent advantages such as UV protection (around 99%), strength, and acoustic properties.

Now where things get optional is with side glass. Some cars in the 90s (usually big benzes) offered, as standard, laminated front side windows. Some luxury models offer it today. I do not know if our IS offers it. I haven't seen that. the benefits, it seems, is mostly from the front. the gains on the side would be too little for the price paid, which is why it's typically optional today (you have to pay extra)
Old 06-04-18, 03:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The hierarchy is

Genuine
OE
OEM
Aftermarket

Windshields are typically only offered Genuine but there's many great aftermarket companies that do windshields. It's a big business.

All cars made within the last 20+ years or so come from the factory with laminated front windshield. It's a piece of plastic film in between two thin sheets of glass. The film has inherent advantages such as UV protection (around 99%), strength, and acoustic properties.

Now where things get optional is with side glass. Some cars in the 90s (usually big benzes) offered, as standard, laminated front side windows. Some luxury models offer it today. I do not know if our IS offers it. I haven't seen that. the benefits, it seems, is mostly from the front. the gains on the side would be too little for the price paid, which is why it's typically optional today (you have to pay extra)
I find that a lot of dealers and places like Safelite just use the term OEM and sell genuine Lexus parts. My windshield was marked Lexus but was marketed as OEM by Safelite (they don't use the OE term).
Old 06-04-18, 05:14 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

The hierarchy is

Genuine
OE
OEM
Aftermarket

Idk about previous year models, but all my windows on my 18’ have a UV film including the rear window.
Old 06-05-18, 04:02 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The OEM is the original version and is acoustic glass so its quieter than a standard insurance replacement. I claimed mine on my insurance and just paid the difference between the insurance version and the OEM. It was only $9 difference
my aftermarket hasn't made the car any louder inside. so now you have a claim on your insurance that will follow you around for the next 3 years. $9? your deductible must be very low which means your monthly charge must be a lot higher than mine. glad you're happy.
Old 06-05-18, 09:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gbgary
my aftermarket hasn't made the car any louder inside. so now you have a claim on your insurance that will follow you around for the next 3 years. $9? your deductible must be very low which means your monthly charge must be a lot higher than mine. glad you're happy.
My insurance hasn't changed in price in the last 3 years and the claim didn't do anything to my cost. The $9 is the difference between aftermarket and OEM after the deductible.
Old 06-06-18, 12:48 PM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If it doesn't cost that much more, go for the OEM. But I've had mine replaced twice with Lexus windshields (bottom left was etched with Lexus logo) and all of them cracked very easily, even from a small rock.
Last one, I decided to go with an aftermarket windshield and quality definitely wasn't as good as OE but I can tell it's much stronger. I've had some bigger rocks come in contact on the highway and thought for sure it would crack from the sound of it but it held up fine, even without a chip..
Old 06-06-18, 02:27 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic350
If it doesn't cost that much more, go for the OEM. But I've had mine replaced twice with Lexus windshields (bottom left was etched with Lexus logo) and all of them cracked very easily, even from a small rock.
Last one, I decided to go with an aftermarket windshield and quality definitely wasn't as good as OE but I can tell it's much stronger. I've had some bigger rocks come in contact on the highway and thought for sure it would crack from the sound of it but it held up fine, even without a chip..
Out of curiosity, what are the things you notice most about the aftermarket windshield that are inferior to the OEM windshield?

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield