IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tons of Interior Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 09:47 AM
mak8504
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gosh, seems like I need to take this up with the dealer then. My car was brand new but it was delivered to VA from PA so I nor the dealer know the full history of the car not that is should matter.
Old 06-07-18, 02:07 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Yeah if your car is under warranty...I'd bring it in over the slightest squeak.

The history of the car could matter. In my experience, taking apart interior pieces never resulted in them going back on 100% as they were. Always on an older model though, I have not dug into the IS interior yet.

You can get a pretty good idea on your vehicles history in the link below. All the dealer service/previous owner and dealer comments.

https://drivers.lexus.com/
Old 06-07-18, 10:36 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
My center console rattles when my arm is not on it....I cant stand rattles. I keep my arm on it until I pick up some felt tape.

Fixed my previous cars interior with felt tape.

And the license plate frame with rubber sticky and tape as well.
mine too! How did you fix?
Old 06-08-18, 09:05 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryJG
mine too! How did you fix?
Havnt fixed yet. Issue is most likely near the latch.

I will try those little furniture felt sticky dots first (cause I have those)...otherwise black felt tape. Perhaps I'll update soon as I'm now motivated to fix it. Should be quick and easy.
Old 06-12-18, 04:27 PM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had a rattle on my drivers side door since 50k miles. Sounds like metallic vibrating, almost from the speaker area. Dealership tried to fix it with foam in the door but didn't work. Only happens on rough roads. Dealership also said rattles weren't covered under warranty or CPO warranty so I just gave up. Now I have a new rattle coming from the rear, sounds like plastic rattling when going over bumps. Old Camry didn't have a single rattle..
Old 01-17-19, 11:55 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Resurface this thread as there wasn't much resolution.

​​​​​​Finally took all of 2 minutes to quite the latch on my center console armrest. Felt tape may last a little longer but I used moleskin (found in a first aid kit, if youre into hiking you may know it) which is similar.

I cut 2 small pieces and placed one on the little latch as seen, and also a piece hugging the part that it meets below. So all plastic is covered where they connect.

They created a nice snug feel and closes just perfect. No extra force needed to get it to fully latch and it doesn't make any noise now. Before hand it would rattle if my arm was not weighing it down.

Nothing revolutionary here...just motive if you've been putting it off like I was!

Old 01-17-19, 12:20 PM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I solved a few rattles in my car.
1) the center clip under the back dash that holds the torsion bar for the trunk lid.
solution) padded the bar in each holder so it stops rattling.

not actual photo but it will give you an idea of what the clip looks like.

2) the jack rattles against the body even when its tight.
solution) I just placed a sponge padding under it and put back the jack .

3) Window control on the driver door, it would rattle ever so often with the right frequency bass
no clue how to fix this until I feel like pulling it and figuring out how to deal with it.

4) something in the back seat was rattling no clue what but I pulled out the back seat to look, couldnt find it so I put back the seat and just like that it went away LOL

5) I too have that weird rattle after changing my exhaust to Invidia axle back, I thought it was the exhaust but now i know its a reoccurring theme with other cars, I'll go hunt it down one of these weekends.
Old 01-17-19, 01:44 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,622 Posts

NIce idea w/ the mole skin, but if you want a more elegant factory style solution look up felt tape on ebay. I got a whole roll for $5 and I've been going crazy with it on my CT. Been looking for an excuse to use it on the IS but nothing yet. Knock on wood though my IS is completely rattle free. And i have dog ears. i've also never experience a boost regulator failure too. I luckily ended up with a good specimen.
Old 01-17-19, 02:41 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
NIce idea w/ the mole skin, but if you want a more elegant factory style solution look up felt tape on ebay. I got a whole roll for $5 and I've been going crazy with it on my CT. Been looking for an excuse to use it on the IS but nothing yet. Knock on wood though my IS is completely rattle free. And i have dog ears. i've also never experience a boost regulator failure too. I luckily ended up with a good specimen.
Yup, felt tape would hold up longer as well I'm guessing. Tiny little pieces actually came factory installed on the corners which that latch centers between. They saw some need for it at time of production I guess...just not enough in my case.

I'm uber sensitive to this...I try to point it out to other people and express my concern about the rattles....typically I get looked at as though I'm insane. Some truth there.
Old 01-17-19, 02:49 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by SSworks
I solved a few rattles in my car.

5) I too have that weird rattle after changing my exhaust to Invidia axle back, I thought it was the exhaust but now i know its a reoccurring theme with other cars, I'll go hunt it down one of these weekends.
Another thread recently about moonroof causing rattles. Sometimes you know it's the moonroof...other times I thought it was in the trunk, underbody near rear tire well, suspension, exhaust, backseat, etc. But nope...it's the moonroof weather strip.
Old 01-17-19, 05:54 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I've heard that aftermarket subs or exhaust can make the rods that give tension to the trunk lid can rattle, but can be fixed by slitting some windshield wiper rubber hose, and slipping it over the rods. Also the sound insulation on these cars is a joke. My is350 has more road noise than my 06 Acura TL did. I ordered this a couple of months ago to start silencing the trunk area a little.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-18-19, 06:05 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Another thread recently about moonroof causing rattles. Sometimes you know it's the moonroof...other times I thought it was in the trunk, underbody near rear tire well, suspension, exhaust, backseat, etc. But nope...it's the moonroof weather strip.
I had a few times I looked up when that exhaust "ratlle/drone" happened, LOL I thought i was going crazy... Thanks for that, Ill go look for the thread but if you can send it to me in a PM or post it here that would help.