IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tons of Interior Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 03:35 PM
mak8504
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tons of Interior Rattles

I've had my 17 300 for about 6 months now and apart from the weird transmission behavior at times, I love it. The only thing I HATE is the tons of rattles that are in the cabin when going over semi-smooth to rough pavement. I can't even begin to list them all, they literally pop up from all areas of the interior. In the beginning, there was a rattle near the driver side vent that went on for about 2 months and then went away, then it was the driver side b pillar, that went away too. Now, its coming from the passenger side door. The center console armrest has started to squeak and rattle now. Anyone else have these issues? I am disappointed that a Lexus has this especially since most Toyotas I have been in do not have this issue. Of course when I take it to my first complimentary service, I will bring these issues up but as you may know, Lexus service centers always want you to be able to reproduce the noises before they even bother considering fixing them. Kind of hard to do sometimes....
Old 06-05-18, 03:41 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

that's an unusual complaint here i think. my 16 with 11k is rattle free...so far. got a year and a half left on the lease #fingerscrossed. good luck.
Old 06-05-18, 03:53 PM
CoolBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a defective car. Mine is 5 years old and no rattles at all.
Old 06-05-18, 04:06 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,622 Posts

FWIW, My 16 is rattle free. it once had a very slight plastic sound emanating from the center console area behind the radio, but that only lasted a couple months then went away. I could likely disassemble it myself and fix whatever it is if it ever comes back. i wouldn't waste my time with a dealer trying to jerk with my car in "trying" to find the sound.

can you record the noises in a video and post them?
Old 06-05-18, 04:16 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

My interior is also ratte free and I’ve had a full exhaust for a while now, which usually causes rattles. Only time I hear rattling is if I have items in my doors or cup holders that rattle from exhaust vibration
Old 06-05-18, 04:41 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel you on the rattles. Ever since I installed my exhaust i have this weird high pitched rattle that comes from the back seat somewhere. Could never figure out what it was. It tends to come and go in long periods. Also recently had some rattle on the passenger side door. Comes and goes randomly as well.
Old 06-05-18, 06:31 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Mine IS350 rattles too, you guys don't hear it you guys have a bad ears
Old 06-05-18, 06:58 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

IMO, no Lexus should have any rattles that is 3yrs or newer and hasn’t been tampered with. That’s something I’d definitely take up with the dealership. Like they preach, a CPO vehicle should be just as good a it was when it rolled off the showroom floor, and I know they don’t leave the factory with rattles. My ‘11 Camry had no rattles after 6yrs and 140k miles, so I know I wouldn’t expect anything less from my IS considering price points and quality of build materials. Again this is just my opinion.
Old 06-05-18, 07:22 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

2016 Is350fsport, bought brand new, 33k miles right now.

I hear rattles on driver/passenger side door/vents. Can't really tell where.. it comes and goes. Although I only hear these slight rattles when going over bad roads.

But again.. my car has exhaust, lowered, some interior pieces taken apart and put back, etc, etc. Might had been the cause..=\
Old 06-05-18, 10:35 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Freaking the lock/unlock buttons and mirror adjustment pad rattle a lot. Anyone got that fixed from the dealer??
Old 06-06-18, 01:14 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SikhSipahi
Freaking the lock/unlock buttons and mirror adjustment pad rattle a lot. Anyone got that fixed from the dealer??
Yes, my dealership fixed it by adding felt tape on the button console.
You can also do it yourself.
Old 06-06-18, 09:20 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

My center console rattles when my arm is not on it....I cant stand rattles. I keep my arm on it until I pick up some felt tape.

Fixed my previous cars interior with felt tape.

And the license plate frame with rubber sticky and tape as well.
Old 06-06-18, 02:23 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jameshan
I feel you on the rattles. Ever since I installed my exhaust i have this weird high pitched rattle that comes from the back seat somewhere. Could never figure out what it was. It tends to come and go in long periods. Also recently had some rattle on the passenger side door. Comes and goes randomly as well.
I'm not sure if the high pitched rattle you're referring to is the same issue I dealt with, but it sounds similar. It started after I installed my exhaust. It would come and go and I had trouble pinpointing the cause. I was almost positive it was coming from the back seat, but couldn't find it, so I took apart my trunk panels, deck lid housing, etc. and came up with nothing.

After that, I ended up exploring the back seat area further and discovered the cause. In my case, it was coming from the inner seat belt assemblies on the left and right side of the back seat (the pieces that the strap/buckle actually snaps into). I adjusted it and no more annoying rattles.
Old 06-06-18, 04:21 PM
greatone99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 is f350 sport no rattles ,16000 miles
Old 06-06-18, 04:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,770 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Mine had some rattles during my first year with it. Dealer fixed them no charge, and they haven't come back.

Quick Reply: Tons of Interior Rattles