IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

8 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 11:14 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 8 speed transmission

Is the Lexus 8 speed transmission different than Toyota? I though they would be the same. The reason that I am asking is because my wife has a 2018 Camry and you can put it in S mode and select a gear to be the limit, kind of like my old 2010 IS 6 speed. I can put her car in S4 and that will be maximum gear or S5 and 5th gear would be maximum gear. I do not know how to do this on my 2017 IS. Can we even do this? When I try, it just stays in that gear then goes back to drive. If I move over to M I have to physically down shift when needed.

Last edited by GaryJG; 06-08-18 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Error
Old 06-08-18, 11:28 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So the issue is that it will stay in 5th if you select 5th, but not downshift to any other gear when you come to a stop? Or are you expecting it to automatically downshift if you slow down, then punch the gas again?
Old 06-08-18, 11:33 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes. My old lexus and the 2018 camry would shift automatically. Say I had it in S4. The car would still automatically shift, but only between 1 through 4. The new IS does not have this feature. I guess the old lexus and the new Toyota have basically gear limiters, where as the new IS is closer to a true Manual.
Old 06-08-18, 11:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,716 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
Yes. My old lexus and the 2018 camry would shift automatically. Say I had it in S4. The car would still automatically shift, but only between 1 through 4. The new IS does not have this feature. I guess the old lexus and the new Toyota have basically gear limiters, where as the new IS is closer to a true Manual.
It's a true manual, as long as engine speed allows for manual control. Say you are cruising at 60 MPH in 6th gear, so about 2000 RPM. You shift into manual mode. You floor the accelerator, and the car stays in 6th gear rather than downshifting. Just as the manual states, the only times it will shift are
  • if engine speed drops too low, such as when decelerating,
  • if engine speed reaches the redline,
  • or when transmission fluid temperature gets too high.
If you turn off traction and stability, you can disable the second of those. In other words, it will bounce off the rev limiter.

I had a 2015 Camry for a while, and the S mode was really just a limiter as you stated. It will not maintain a high gear if you ask for more power.
Old 06-08-18, 11:55 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

They are different. The older IS, older GS, a lot of the FWD Lexus and SUV have the S mode or sequential mode. When you throw it into S mode, it will shift up to the max gear you select. It still acts like a automatic transmission where it will upshift and downshift on it's own.

The newer GS, IS, F lineup has the M mode or Manual mode where you have to shift up. It will do the downshift one it hits a certain speed but it won't upshift for you.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (06-11-18)
Old 06-08-18, 01:17 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by MX73
They are different. The older IS, older GS, a lot of the FWD Lexus and SUV have the S mode or sequential mode. When you throw it into S mode, it will shift up to the max gear you select. It still acts like a automatic transmission where it will upshift and downshift on it's own.

The newer GS, IS, F lineup has the M mode or Manual mode where you have to shift up. It will do the downshift one it hits a certain speed but it won't upshift for you.
Like I mentioned in my post, it WILL upshift for you unless you turn off traction and stability control. Unless there's something different about that programming with the 8-speed versus the 6-speed?
Old 06-08-18, 07:32 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Like I mentioned in my post, it WILL upshift for you unless you turn off traction and stability control. Unless there's something different about that programming with the 8-speed versus the 6-speed?
like MX73 said, will downshift for you but you Upshift on your own like a Manual
Old 06-08-18, 08:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Solara350
like MX73 said, will downshift for you but you Upshift on your own like a Manual
It will upshift for you at the redline unless you turn off traction and stability control.

Edit: Ah, you know what, I forgot you guys have Sport+ mode. That might be the difference.

Last edited by arentz07; 06-08-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 08:13 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
It will upshift for you at the redline unless you turn off traction and stability control.

Edit: Ah, you know what, I forgot you guys have Sport+ mode. That might be the difference.
one time on freeway i put in D with sport+ having fun with a speeding Van, my car 350 F-sport AWD, it did not upshift for me from 4+ , sometimes i for to upshift in Manual mode Sport+ when making left turn or sometimes i think of a girl, car did not upshift for me, NEVER TURNED OFF TRACTION, computer is so confusion unlike 6 Speed Manual Trans, when you drive a Stick you knew you have to shift on your own but when you drive a Trans like Lexus IS you always think oh its an Automatic that makes me forgot to shift, whenever i switch manual mode i always remind myself "its manual now you MotherFker " lol Loud Muffler does help though
Old 06-10-18, 12:59 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

one time on freeway i put in D with sport+ having fun with a speeding Van, my car 350 F-sport AWD, it did not upshift for me from 4+ , sometimes i for to upshift in Manual mode Sport+ when making left turn or sometimes i think of a girl, car did not upshift for me, NEVER TURNED OFF TRACTION, computer is so confusion unlike 6 Speed Manual Trans, when you drive a Stick you knew you have to shift on your own but when you drive a Trans like Lexus IS you always think oh its an Automatic that makes me forgot to shift, whenever i switch manual mode i always remind myself "its manual now you MotherFker " lol Loud Muffler does help though
Sometimes I think I'm in manual mode, and push the lever forward and get neutral. 8(
Old 06-10-18, 01:29 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by dizlex
Sometimes I think I'm in manual mode, and push the lever forward and get neutral. 8(
ya LOL i got in Neutral too, i was like what the heck how come my car not rolling
Old 06-10-18, 03:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

ya LOL i got in Neutral too, i was like what the heck how come my car not rolling
Ha, I felt pretty dumb when I did that not long ago... Good to know I am not alone.
Old 06-11-18, 10:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,618 Posts

The 8 Speed Auto in the Camry is the Aisin AWF8F35 and the one in the 3IS is the Aisin AA81E. Very different as one is for RWD and one for FWD. The RWD version is a lot beefier and can handle more torque. It's used in slight variation, in the RCF, ISF, LS, IS.

The one in your Camry is also shared with:

2018 Buick Regal
2015 BMW 2 Series Active Tourer
2016 BMW X1
2016 Mini Clubman
Rav4/Camry
a bunch of Volvos
Old 06-11-18, 12:09 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The 8 Speed Auto in the Camry is the Aisin AWF8F35 and the one in the 3IS is the Aisin AA81E. Very different as one is for RWD and one for FWD. The RWD version is a lot beefier and can handle more torque. It's used in slight variation, in the RCF, ISF, LS, IS.

The one in your Camry is also shared with:

2018 Buick Regal
2015 BMW 2 Series Active Tourer
2016 BMW X1
2016 Mini Clubman
Rav4/Camry
a bunch of Volvos
This. The Lexus IS transmission is a much beefier and sportier.
Old 06-12-18, 12:17 PM
abenjack
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference is the software. Its the same transmission but Lexus uses "m" manual mode and Toyota uses "s" sport mode. The sport mode chooses the best gear for what your foot is doing. Manual is whatever gear it is in until you decide to change it. If I remember correctly the Camry XSE has manual mode instead of sport

Quick Reply: 8 speed transmission