IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS And GS Could Be On The Chopping Block

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 11:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
It's definitely a changing and awkward market segment as cars in this category tend to have an identity crisis. The BMW 3-Series (the reason this class exists to begin with) has changed to a soft and very large offering. It no longer is the refined, sharp, precision tool it once was known for (and BMW is OK with that). The Lexus on the other hand is smaller and more precise, but has a weak powertrain. And is heavier. I think people buying into this segment nowadays definitely want a sharp driving tool since crossovers are dominant for those who want something comfy. So Lexus needs to offer more power, and lighter weight in the next iteration. A bridge between the IS and GS (size wise) would be perfect for the company in the US market. Limit the rear drive sedans in the Lexus lineup to two options. One sporty/dynamic (IS) and one full luxury (LS) makes total sense in an SUV/crossover-dominant market. Will be interesting to see what happens
A minor nitpick. The IS and 3-series have virtually identical exterior dimensions (width and height are the same, the IS is about 2 inches longer though), but the 3-series is slightly larger in terms of passenger space. So one would think the IS more sporty and driver-focused... which, it is, fortunately.
Old 06-14-18, 12:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Lexus IS will not be going away. Lexus removing the Lexus IS is suicide.

Because if they remove the Lexus IS along with the GS - that makes the Lexus ES the entry-level option. That also means Lexus is also removing the RC since the RC is based on the IS. This leads to Lexus folding versus the competition of the 3 Series, 4 Series, C-Class, E-Class, A4, A5, S4, S5 and etc...
The Lexus ES F-Sport is not a replacement for the RWD Lexus IS nor Lexus GS.

When you do that - you are committing brand suicide. Lexus will probably end up being an Acura or worst.

Originally Posted by Solara350
2nd, The Lexus IS 3rd Gen has the best designed ever and looks so sporty especially the Rocket panel line back to the rear Bumper and tail-light, very unique design, this was how Toyota used to design Toyota Supra and Toyota MR2, Lexus IS in America loss sale in the last 2 years and last year because of the lack of POWER Engine, minor issue with material, suspension noise and Navigation, Lexus IS needs some more power REAR WHEEL DRIVE and a STANDARD TRANSmission, looks BMW M2 , Kia stinger GT and Mercedes AMG c43 got 375hp+ , Lexus IS350 F-sport has the same power like the Regular Lexus IS ? no suspension or lower spring update ? only cosmetic ? and the cost is almost the same as others ? one more thing, Lexus body structures still not solid its soft, we drive Lexus because it belongs to Toyota.

I think the Toyota/Lexus headquarter needs a new CEO Lexus of North AMERICA, like Honda/Acura they HIRED A NEW CEO back in 2015, Toyota/Lexus should do it too ! i'm serious , good luck Lexus American.
Agreed with you on the design but you lost me after that.

The Lexus IS lost sales the last two years, not because of power, its because its the typical trend of a refresh model. If you check the history of Lexus IS sales, the 2G Lexus IS refresh experienced the same thing. Sales dipped after refresh. I see two reasons why this trend exist for the Lexus IS.
Power isn't a reason either. The Acura TLX gets more sales than the Lexus IS but the Acura TLX (both engines) is clearly more under-powered than the Lexus IS. Lastly - the 3G Lexus IS was able to sell as much units as the 2006 2G Lexus IS with a 10 year old engine. I don't think power really plays a factor here.

The cars you listed: The GT Stinger, C43 AMG and the M2 don't even compete with the Lexus IS350... Especially not the M2. The M2 is in a different segment completely. The GT Stinger and C43 AMG is the only two that competes in the same segment as the Lexus IS but the Lexus IS doesn't have a Lexus IS(400) or something to compete with those vehicles. Even if Lexus introduces a IS400 with TTV6 and I'm hoping they do, that version of the IS isn't the money matter. Lexus IS sells the most copies of the Lexus IS250 and now Lexus IS300 Turbo. Having a TTV6 Lexus IS will only please the enthusiast, not the mass market.

Originally Posted by JDR76
How so? It's the same platform as the IS, just came out as a MY 2013 and the IS for MY 2014.
I also never understood why people think the Lexus IS and GS is on an "old" platform. I have heard people call it ancient too. It just doesn't make sense when the platform (New N Platform) is still relatively new.
Old 06-14-18, 12:27 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The Lexus IS will not be going away. Lexus removing the Lexus IS is suicide.
The Lexus IS lost sales the last two years, not because of power, its because its the typical trend of a refresh model. If you check the history of Lexus IS sales, the 2G Lexus IS refresh experienced the same thing. Sales dipped after refresh. I see two reasons why this trend exist for the Lexus IS.
Power isn't a reason either. The Acura TLX gets more sales than the Lexus IS but the Acura TLX (both engines) is clearly more under-powered than the Lexus IS. Lastly - the 3G Lexus IS was able to sell as much units as the 2006 2G Lexus IS with a 10 year old engine. I don't think power really plays a factor here.

The cars you listed: The GT Stinger, C43 AMG and the M2 don't even compete with the Lexus IS350... Especially not the M2. The M2 is in a different segment completely. The GT Stinger and C43 AMG is the only two that competes in the same segment as the Lexus IS but the Lexus IS doesn't have a Lexus IS(400) or something to compete with those vehicles. Even if Lexus introduces a IS400 with TTV6 and I'm hoping they do, that version of the IS isn't the money matter. Lexus IS sells the most copies of the Lexus IS250 and now Lexus IS300 Turbo. Having a TTV6 Lexus IS will only please the enthusiast, not the mass market.
Most of the C-class and 3-series models I see rolling around are C 300, 320i and 330i. Most ISs I see are 300 (AWD here, it's hard to find a 300 RWD in KCMO). A 340i is a downright rare sight, and an IS 350 is only slightly more common. So I agree with you on that. For me personally though, I definitely want a more powerful option. Besides, you could argue the IS 350 really competes with the 330i, not the 340i. I think that's where Lexus in general is missing models - the "almost-F" segment. There's no C 43 AMG or S4/S5 equivalent.
Old 06-14-18, 12:40 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Most of the C-class and 3-series models I see rolling around are C 300, 320i and 330i. Most ISs I see are 300 (AWD here, it's hard to find a 300 RWD in KCMO). A 340i is a downright rare sight, and an IS 350 is only slightly more common. So I agree with you on that. For me personally though, I definitely want a more powerful option. Besides, you could argue the IS 350 really competes with the 330i, not the 340i. I think that's where Lexus in general is missing models - the "almost-F" segment. There's no C 43 AMG or S4/S5 equivalent.
I definitely want a more powerful option too. I'm hoping for a Lexus IS400 with a TTV6 so I trade up.

I actually do argue that: the Lexus IS350 competes with the 330i. I believe the Lexus doesn't have a car that competes with the 340i, C43 AMG (basically C350/C400 or whatever they want to call it), and Q50 3.0T RS).
Agreed. Lexus is missing that "near F/almost F" segment. There is a gap there. It would be amazing if Lexus would do Lexus IS300, IS350, IS400, IS-F. Here's hoping!
Old 06-14-18, 01:31 PM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I also never understood why people think the Lexus IS and GS is on an "old" platform. I have heard people call it ancient too. It just doesn't make sense when the platform (New N Platform) is still relatively new.
It's not that I think it's ancient, it's not, but it isn't aging well for such a new platform. They've managed to get a great chassis out of the GSF, but every trim level below that just falls short to me. The 350 is a great base powertrain to compete with other base model mid-size luxury cars in the segment, but there's not enough width in their GS lineup to truly compete. It's base model or top of the line with not much in between. I guess I should have focused more on the powertrain, rather than the platform itself, but they put them together, and it just doesn't compete well with the European competition. It is a new platform, but they're using old engines with new transmissions set up for fuel economy instead of performance (or the same old ones in the case of the AWD models).

I was actually on the fence about picking up a 15' IS350 or a 16' GS350 (both in F-sport trim) since the weight and price is so damn close. The IS only won out because I needed something smaller for city parking and the color options available to me at the time.
Old 06-14-18, 01:44 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by taktiks
It's not that I think it's ancient, it's not, but it isn't aging well for such a new platform. They've managed to get a great chassis out of the GSF, but every trim level below that just falls short to me. The 350 is a great base powertrain to compete with other base model mid-size luxury cars in the segment, but there's not enough width in their GS lineup to truly compete. It's base model or top of the line with not much in between. I guess I should have focused more on the powertrain, rather than the platform itself, but they put them together, and it just doesn't compete well with the European competition. It is a new platform, but they're using old engines with new transmissions set up for fuel economy instead of performance (or the same old ones in the case of the AWD models).

I was actually on the fence about picking up a 15' IS350 or a 16' GS350 (both in F-sport trim) since the weight and price is so damn close. The IS only won out because I needed something smaller for city parking and the color options available to me at the time.
Oh no no. I didn't say you called it ancient. It was reference to other people I have seen (especially on YouTube).

But I do agree - Lexus needs something in the middle and more power-train options essentially. Like what Arentz and I was talking about - the Lexus IS needs a top range model to better compete with the Germans. Unfortunately - that's one of the things about buying Japanese brands. They are all very slow moving with engine changes. A good example of this is the Acura TLX - it still uses a under-powered V6 that doesn't even make 300HP. The Acura TLX is geared more towards economy than performance as well.
Old 06-14-18, 02:01 PM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus needs something in the middle and more power-train options essentially. Like what Arentz and I was talking about - the Lexus IS needs a top range model to better compete with the Germans. Unfortunately - that's one of the things about buying Japanese brands. They are all very slow moving with engine changes. A good example of this is the Acura TLX - it still uses a under-powered V6 that doesn't even make 300HP. The Acura TLX is geared more towards economy than performance as well.
It seems to be a trend with Japanese luxury. They strive for perfection, but once they do it, they are all reluctant to change anything. This constantly leaves them behind the curve when compared to their rivals in almost every segment. It shows when the F models all share the same V8 with little difference between them, including the LC500.

I actually appreciate the fact that their model line hasn't become insanely bloated like that of Mercedes and BMW, with them adding models to fill gaps that nobody was asking for in the first place, but they definitely need to broaden out the existing model lines. Detuning the 3.5L V6 and calling it the IS300 isn't a step in the right direction in my eyes.
Old 06-14-18, 02:45 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by taktiks
It seems to be a trend with Japanese luxury. They strive for perfection, but once they do it, they are all reluctant to change anything. This constantly leaves them behind the curve when compared to their rivals in almost every segment. It shows when the F models all share the same V8 with little difference between them, including the LC500.

I actually appreciate the fact that their model line hasn't become insanely bloated like that of Mercedes and BMW, with them adding models to fill gaps that nobody was asking for in the first place, but they definitely need to broaden out the existing model lines. Detuning the 3.5L V6 and calling it the IS300 isn't a step in the right direction in my eyes.
I think its believe that Japanese luxury brand refusal to change engine quickly is a beneficiary to their reliability reputation. If you keep using an engine that is long and proven, reliability ratings goes up.

I agree. I do like how organized the Lexus line-up is but it does need a performance variations. Hopefully they bring back the IS-F. Definitely - MB and BMW's line-up is overdone. They offer too much of everything - especially when some of those things don't even sell. I remember when the 6 Series was introduced to be a 5 Series coupe. But then they decided to add a 6 Series 4-Door Gran Coupe, which is basically a 5 Series with a sloping roof-line. MB and BMW needs to trim off some of their lines, in my opinion.
Old 06-14-18, 06:45 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Exactly what i want to say in reply ya the F-sport badge ,aren't we competitor with AMG Sline M series V-sport A-spec and Red-Sport ? so what is F-sport on Lexus for ? just the name ? the Nismo on Nissan has failed because of this !

Power and Suspension/Brake plays a big factor in Sport car industry guys ! other competitor has Brembo Brake even Honda Civic Type R does, they has better Sway bar Strut Tower Bar and Loud Exhaust + high performance bushing etc. Hey my friend asked me What's good about Fsport of Lexus IS350 ? the true is = nothing just cosmetic (unless you pay 3000$ for exhaust 2000$ for swaybar 1000$ for lowering spring 500$ for RR-racing LCA performance bushings) 2000$ for RR-Tune Canadian $$, the lies are = ya big brake like Brembo big swaybar and bushing + AVS blah blah.

Everyone's different point of view but in my perspective this is why they loss sale and they wants to Discontinue IS/GS lineup

PS: i was like OUCH when i heard this lol ya Discontinue IS and i will keep this car hahaha i love driving a Discontinue car production line. become rare in the future

Last edited by Solara350; 06-14-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 06:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Exactly what i want to say in reply ya the F-sport badge ,aren't we competitor with AMG Sline M series V-sport A-spec and Red-Sport ? so what is F-sport on Lexus for ? just the name ? the Nismo on Nissan has failed because of this !

Power and Suspension/Brake plays a big factor in Sport car industry guys ! other competitor has Brembo Brake even Honda Civic Type R does, they has better Sway bar Strut Tower Bar and Loud Exhaust + high performance bushing etc. Hey my friend asked me What's good about Fsport of Lexus IS350 ? the true is = nothing just cosmetic (unless you pay 3000$ for exhaust 2000$ for swaybar 1000$ for lowering spring 500$ for RR-racing LCA performance bushings) 2000$ for RR-Tune Canadian $$, the lies are = ya big brake like Brembo big swaybar and bushing + AVS blah blah.

Everyone's different point of view but in my perspective this is why they loss sale and they wants to Discontinue IS/GS lineup
WRT the brakes and the F Sport name, at least the F Sport high-friction pads are good. Still my favorite braking experience of anything I have driven. They feel responsive but appropriately so for this car. I'm not sure if the GS has similar pads available.
Old 06-14-18, 07:35 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

PS: i was like OUCH when i heard this lol ya Discontinue IS and i will keep this car hahaha i love driving a Discontinue car production line. become rare in the future
Where do you get that the F Sport is to compete with AMG, M, S, Red Sport? That's simply not true. F Sport competes with the S-Line (not S), M Sport (not M), etc.

IS-F (previously), RC-F, GS-F they compete with the AMGs of the world. How well is not really the point...
Old 06-14-18, 08:43 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold

Where do you get that the F Sport is to compete with AMG, M, S, Red Sport? That's simply not true. F Sport competes with the S-Line (not S), M Sport (not M), etc.

IS-F (previously), RC-F, GS-F they compete with the AMGs of the world. How well is not really the point...
the monster sizes mercedes dealers here now have HUGE AMG logos showcased on their buildings. also G wagons parked underneath, of course. pretty badass.
Old 06-15-18, 10:08 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

An IS400 would indeed be nice, to go head to head with the Q50 Red Sport especially now that the IS350 has an LSD, just need a TTV6 option.
Old 06-15-18, 10:24 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

What? The Lexus "F-Sport" is not a competitor to the AMG, M, S, or Red Sport. The "F-Sport" is the competitor to the AMG design pack, M Design Pack and S-Line Black optics Pack, which are all design appearance modifications of their cars.
The IS-F, RC-F and GS-F are the competitors to the AMG, M, and S.
Currently - Lexus doesn't have a competitor for the Red Sport.

To ask what's good about a Lexus IS350 F-Sport is similar to asking what's good about a BMW 330i M-Design Pack? or Audi A4 Black optics pack? Or MB C-Class AMG-Line Pack?
Old 06-15-18, 10:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The F Sport package is an appearance and handling package. It's really not that hard to understand.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS And GS Could Be On The Chopping Block