Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 02:49 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus IS And GS Could Be On The Chopping Block

Source: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/le...hopping-block/

We've been hearing rumors about the GS getting axed and now the IS as well
Maybe this is the reason Lexus launched an F-Sport version of the new ES?
The price difference isn't much between the ES and IS and the avg buyer wouldn't care much about the ES being FWD and the ES being a bigger car might attract the buyers a bit more.
Personally, I feel even with an AWD version the ES can't replace the IS. It would be extremely sad to see the IS go.
Old 06-12-18, 04:12 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I love my IS 350 F-Sport...everything about it. But the complaints are in and sales are severely lacking over low horse-power output, an old powertrain, an infotainment system that is pretty dated, and that highly controversial body style (especially the front end).
Old 06-12-18, 06:58 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I highly doubt the IS will be dropped. I do think they will definitely need to beef up the engine for the 4th generation, but that is obvious to everyone.
Old 06-12-18, 07:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I really wouldn't worry about the IS. Sales are down from previous years, but still well above the GX, GS, LS, RC, LC, and LX. I'd say if anything else is in danger, it would be the RC.

The situation with the GS is unique within the Lexus lineup, because Lexus had two mid size sedans competing with each other. The IS doesn't face that challenge.
Old 06-12-18, 07:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I don't see "we're evaluating" as proof the IS is being axed. That's a pretty hot segment to let go. They probably just mean they're evaluating how to make it more competitive. If they make the IS bigger next gen (inevitable) it would satisfy people who buy cars like the GS/E Class/5Series. Besides, AFAIK, that platform for the 4IS has long been under development and planning already.
Old 06-12-18, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The thoughts of the IS going away are simple conjecture by the author. Lexus hasn't confirmed anything. Of course they are evaluating the future of their cars. Game over the day they stop looking forward. I also find it a bit disingenuous to compare sales of the 4th model year to the 1st model year, and use that as evidence that the car is failing and is on the chopping block.
Old 06-12-18, 08:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. That decline in sales is naturally occurring in any segment when a car is aging and newer competitors have an edge. People want the newest and best thing
Old 06-12-18, 10:01 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yep. That decline in sales is naturally occurring in any segment when a car is aging and newer competitors have an edge. People want the newest and best thing
This article is pretty much delegitimized by that stuff about "drastic decline". This has happened to every preceding generation of both cars and happens with most cars. They sell a lot more in the first years of each generation because they are new and hot at the time.
Old 06-12-18, 07:25 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll tell you why these 2 models has FAILED lately !

First let talk about Lexus GS, GS an ugly designed for not old not young body styling and interior, it is more luxurious than the Lexus IS but Boyz who would drive a car like that ? PLUS GS and IS has the same Engine and power and GS is way more expensive, do you think men like us buy the Lexus GS ? GS doesn't look cool doesn't nice doesn't look Boss, it looks weird ! GS also has Navigation issue and Suspension noise like IS.

2nd, The Lexus IS 3rd Gen has the best designed ever and looks so sporty especially the Rocket panel line back to the rear Bumper and tail-light, very unique design, this was how Toyota used to design Toyota Supra and Toyota MR2, Lexus IS in America loss sale in the last 2 years and last year because of the lack of POWER Engine, minor issue with material, suspension noise and Navigation, Lexus IS needs some more power REAR WHEEL DRIVE and a STANDARD TRANSmission, looks BMW M2 , Kia stinger GT and Mercedes AMG c43 got 375hp+ , Lexus IS350 F-sport has the same power like the Regular Lexus IS ? no suspension or lower spring update ? only cosmetic ? and the cost is almost the same as others ? one more thing, Lexus body structures still not solid its soft, we drive Lexus because it belongs to Toyota.

I think the Toyota/Lexus headquarter needs a new CEO Lexus of North AMERICA, like Honda/Acura they HIRED A NEW CEO back in 2015, Toyota/Lexus should do it too ! i'm serious , good luck Lexus American.
Old 06-13-18, 08:40 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't get that this gen IS has an "unpopular body style" - I suppose sales tell a story but I think the current IS is one of the best looking cars out there. It's distinctive without being over-worked. 26k in annual sales isn't awful.
Old 06-14-18, 06:34 AM
evident
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Lexus still hasn't even confirmed the end of the gs yet.
Old 06-14-18, 07:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I don't get that this gen IS has an "unpopular body style" - I suppose sales tell a story but I think the current IS is one of the best looking cars out there. It's distinctive without being over-worked. 26k in annual sales isn't awful.
+1, very few people I have spoken to have anything negative to say about the IS's looks. The only thing I hear negative is "the grill is too big" or some such. Honestly sales aren't too different from last-gen, which is good considering it has the NX and ES are competing with the IS, price-wise. And let's be real, most people who buy those cars are not sure what they wanted. I've seen octogenarians driving ISs, and wondered if they accidentally bought an IS instead of an ES. I think the marketing of Lexus has been not great. All they talk about is "making a statement" and "style", never talking about driving dynamics, which is also a strong suit of this car, relatively speaking.
Old 06-14-18, 08:25 AM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to admit, the new L\finesse philosophy as applied to styling has had a very polarizing effect on the public. People either love it or hate it. I honestly didn't like the new IS styling at first, but grew to love it and ended up getting one instead of a BMW 4/5 Series. I didn't buy it because of it's power or handling characteristics, as other competitors in the class have it beat on both those categories. I wanted something that looked good and had classic Toyota reliability, a good warranty, and decent resale value. Now, I'm definitely itching for more power, but for the way I drive, the 350 is enough and keeps me out of trouble with the law.

The GS on the other hand is a badly aging platform. The GSF could have been great, but they need to really do better with the powertrain. Competitors either have a much more powerful engine, a better transmission, or both. It seems like the awkward middle ground between the Cadillac CTS-V and the M/AMG offerings, which nobody is really looking for in an already niche market for super high performance mid-size sedans. I feel like they're afraid to go for broke and really push the envelope with their core products, and only pushing the limits with their halo cars like the LC500 and LFA. There's just not enough trickle down to the rest of the model lineup to really make Lexus competitive in that segment. I think they're just in the midst of an identity crisis.
Old 06-14-18, 10:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

It's definitely a changing and awkward market segment as cars in this category tend to have an identity crisis. The BMW 3-Series (the reason this class exists to begin with) has changed to a soft and very large offering. It no longer is the refined, sharp, precision tool it once was known for (and BMW is OK with that). The Lexus on the other hand is smaller and more precise, but has a weak powertrain. And is heavier. I think people buying into this segment nowadays definitely want a sharp driving tool since crossovers are dominant for those who want something comfy. So Lexus needs to offer more power, and lighter weight in the next iteration. A bridge between the IS and GS (size wise) would be perfect for the company in the US market. Limit the rear drive sedans in the Lexus lineup to two options. One sporty/dynamic (IS) and one full luxury (LS) makes total sense in an SUV/crossover-dominant market. Will be interesting to see what happens
Old 06-14-18, 11:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by taktiks
I have to admit, the new L\finesse philosophy as applied to styling has had a very polarizing effect on the public. People either love it or hate it. I honestly didn't like the new IS styling at first, but grew to love it and ended up getting one instead of a BMW 4/5 Series. I didn't buy it because of it's power or handling characteristics, as other competitors in the class have it beat on both those categories. I wanted something that looked good and had classic Toyota reliability, a good warranty, and decent resale value. Now, I'm definitely itching for more power, but for the way I drive, the 350 is enough and keeps me out of trouble with the law.

The GS on the other hand is a badly aging platform. The GSF could have been great, but they need to really do better with the powertrain. Competitors either have a much more powerful engine, a better transmission, or both. It seems like the awkward middle ground between the Cadillac CTS-V and the M/AMG offerings, which nobody is really looking for in an already niche market for super high performance mid-size sedans. I feel like they're afraid to go for broke and really push the envelope with their core products, and only pushing the limits with their halo cars like the LC500 and LFA. There's just not enough trickle down to the rest of the model lineup to really make Lexus competitive in that segment. I think they're just in the midst of an identity crisis.
How so? It's the same platform as the IS, just came out as a MY 2013 and the IS for MY 2014.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS And GS Could Be On The Chopping Block