IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any input on these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 06:25 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Any input on these?

So I am having excessive inner tire wear in the rear on my ‘17 300. Not 💯 sure it’s the camber, but the toe adjustment is good so this is where I am leaning. Not having any real experience with aftermarket suspension tuning products myself, I am hoping somebody can help me out. I am thinking if the camber could be adjusted I may be able to get the wear issue taken care of. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-18, 07:05 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

They do help, get the Front also with RR-Racing LCA Bushing and you're set ! any suspension mod, as long as you get your alignment back to OEM specs, camber wear will be taken care of.
Old 06-20-18, 06:58 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

What brand is that?
The title says it's for 2014+, but the design seems a little off.
If you look at the SPC or FIGS one, they look a little different...like the angle in the arm and the length of the arm.
Old 06-20-18, 07:50 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Thanks, for the tip on the front, I had read that also. These are Godspeed brand arms, they offer two different types labeled for 14+ but these were the only ones that were list for the 17-18 300awd.
Old 06-20-18, 07:53 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Old 06-20-18, 08:12 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

That particular arm on the rear didn't change between 2014 and 2017/18, and it's the same arm on the GS and RC.
So whether you get this one, SPC, or the FIGS one, you'll be fine either way.
The FIGS and SPC ones are designed to mimic the factory arm a little more closely than the Godspeed one, that's all I can really see.
Godspeed noted they use bearings in the ends, whereas the FIGS and SPC are just bushings...If I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-20-18, 12:58 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That particular arm on the rear didn't change between 2014 and 2017/18, and it's the same arm on the GS and RC.
So whether you get this one, SPC, or the FIGS one, you'll be fine either way.
The FIGS and SPC ones are designed to mimic the factory arm a little more closely than the Godspeed one, that's all I can really see.
Godspeed noted they use bearings in the ends, whereas the FIGS and SPC are just bushings...If I'm not mistaken.
Sounds good, I’ll give em a try and post up how it all goes.
Old 06-20-18, 01:03 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

It’s a shame that this issue occurs with such a new vehicle, the fronts look like they’ve worn perfect though. Hopefully this will cure the issue as I don’t like dropping the 💰 on tires every year. Here’s what the tires look like on both sides, with the exception of the inner, they’re still good tires with plenty of tread.
Old 06-20-18, 02:08 PM
14is350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Literally just bought new proxies 2 days ago $1500 thanks to improper toe alignment like your tire wear. Wanted to get the new tires mounted and realigned before ordering both sets of arms. After installation and alignment, all were back in green, no need for camber arms. I would say try alignment first. Saved me another $600.
Old 06-20-18, 05:21 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

I’m with ya there, I’ve got my tires on order ready for install Friday. I’ve already ordered the arms, but it’s no worry, fortunately the install includes a four wheel alignment. (I know I’m paying for it in some way though) Although I may have to postpone the install if the arms don’t make it in time. I do appreciate the input, but at this point I’m just going to err on the safe side to eliminate this same issue 6 months down the road. (No pun intended) I mean how cool will my ride look with them red arms installed when it’s on the rack?! 😆 j/k
Old 06-21-18, 10:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

My factory rear tires wore nearly perfectly at 21,000 miles. with fairly aggressive driving. They have a hint of excess inner wear. But the wear bars are about 1mm shy of touching the road so I'm not complaining about the inner wear. Tires need to be replaced anyway. I have new tires on order today.

My fronts had a TON of life left at 15,000 miles except the inners which wore very severely.

Got an alignment and had toe set to zero when I got the new front tires put on. We'll see how that does.
Old 06-21-18, 12:38 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
My fronts had a TON of life left at 15,000 miles except the inners which wore very severely.

Got an alignment and had toe set to zero when I got the new front tires put on. We'll see how that does.
That’s the crazy thing, I’ve read a lot of people having the same issues out of the front. My fronts are wearing perfect, I paid extra attention to them and neglected to watch the rears simply because I had seen/read nothing about them. It wasn’t until it got squirrelly when it was raining I began to worry. I first thought the tires just had diminished wet traction as they wore, so I got down to look and seen they were worn out on the inside. Thankfully, against my better judgment, I did take a look, because I was just peeking over the tread at the wheel well, and they do look good from there. Oh well, what do ya do, I got these arms on order, so this should square it away for me.
Old 06-21-18, 12:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

You say your existing toe is good but then you are getting different arms manufactured to alter toe? Not following your logic there.

When you say your toe was "good," what exactly was your toe?

That inner wear would be caused by dynamic toe change. The bushings on the stock upper rear arm are too firm and too small to cause any meaningful dynamic toe change. Either you had an inflation problem and/or your alignment in the rear was bonkers. Looks like you have some outer wear there too.

This type of rear wear isn't common on these cars from what I've seen. Not a whole lot of movement back there in terms of toe change when compared to the front.

I think you bought those arms for no reason. What's the specific reason you think these arms will fix your problem? You actually may introduce more movement on the lower arm now as that's the arm that really has a soft bushing. you made the upper solid and the lower is going to move even more now.
Old 06-21-18, 01:25 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
You say your existing toe is good but then you are getting different arms manufactured to alter toe? Not following your logic there.
The arms he is getting are for Camber, not Toe. Toe is factory adjustable...if you need more Toe adjustment beyond the factory, then something is seriously wrong on the back of his car. LOL!
Old 06-21-18, 01:47 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Yeah the arms are for the camber adjustment. The wear in the rear measures lower the further you go to the inside of the tire. The outside edge is actually really good though.

Quick Reply: Any input on these?