IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OEM Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Sport Tire Pull

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 08:31 PM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OEM Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Sport Tire Pull

Not sure what to think here, so I need some advice.

Today I had two new tires (front) put on my 16 IS 300 at the local Lexus dealer. They recommended the Michelin Pilot Sports over the OEM Bridgestones. When I picked up the car, I quickly noticed a tire pull to the right. At speeds over 30 mph, after about 100 feet or so, it pulls to the right enough to change lanes. I had a $119.00 alignment done with the new tires today as well. Also, the car seems to be riding really rough and the tires made a lot of noise on the highway at high speed. The had 39 psi in the tires, so I did let some air out when I pulled into the garage tonight. Am I imagining this? Not to mention Lexus put a big scratch on my tire rim when they mounted the passenger side tire.

I've had the car since it was brand new and have not had any issues. I could take my hands off of the wheel and it rode like it was on rails.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Last edited by wallaceb; 06-26-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 08:09 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Just need to go down the list. tire pull could be alignment, bad tire, bad balancing, uneven tire pressure.

Drive it again since you evened out the pressure and see how it does. I don't think it's a bad tire since Michelin are usually very good. The service you got doesn't sound very 'top notch' so it could easily be a bad alignment or wheels need to be rebalanced. If that's the case, take it back to them to have them redo it or go somewhere else.
Old 06-27-18, 08:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,765 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I wouldn't have left the dealer as soon as I noticed the scratch on the wheel. Definitely take it back and have them go for a ride with you so they can observe what you're seeing. Sounds like it isn't your fault - the variable here is the new set of tires they put on (as well as how they put them on).
Old 06-28-18, 12:12 AM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is called tire pull. It’s not the alignment of your imagination. The front tires need to be cross rotated
Old 07-05-18, 04:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

How bad is the pull? Post a video? Did you try on different roads w/ same result?

Not all alignments are created equal. Just cause a tire is in the "green" on the machine, it can be off enough relative to the opposing side to cause an issue. A good tech will be really **** about this and match as close as possible, preferably with weight ballast in driver's seat.

Hard to say though without being there or knowing your specs or your car history. Could've been that your old tires specific wear pattern was compensating for a pull you never knew you had.
Old 01-24-19, 01:35 PM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Michelins on our 2017 RX350 F AWD and had to replace them at the end of last year with just over 25K on the car. Sometimes it feels that some cars come with trial tires like printers come with trial (smaller) size ink cartridges. Installed Goodyear Assurance Weatherready and love them. Tried in rain and snow and have complete satisfaction. I even think the mileage of the car improved by 1 mpg. Tried to drift in the snowed-in condition and was not very successful. Paid 1.2K minus some rebates, but bought certificates (warranty) through discount tire.
Old 01-24-19, 02:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

I'm glad you're liking the new tires. I know the feeling. I love my BFGoodrich tires I put on the IS a few months ago. They're much better in terms of grip and impact isolation compared to the "trial" Bridgestones - and hopefully will last a lot longer too thanks to their nearly doubled treadwear rating.

That being said, no offense, but it sounds like your experience is unrelated to the OP's concern about tire pull, especially considering you have a different vehicle.
Old 01-30-19, 10:23 AM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. I posted into OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads). It might have been one of the posts that was merged with others.
Old 01-30-19, 09:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Well if that's the case, you are in the "OEM Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Sport Tire Pull" thread now. This is what I see:

Again no offense, just wanted to make sure you are posting in the right place.
Old 01-30-19, 10:54 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dunyamunya
Nope. I posted into OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads). It might have been one of the posts that was merged with others.
This isn't a merged thread from what I'm seeing on here. You are on OEM Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Sport Tire Pull on the 3IS forum. Nothing about a merged thread listed.

Originally Posted by wallaceb
Not sure what to think here, so I need some advice.

Today I had two new tires (front) put on my 16 IS 300 at the local Lexus dealer. They recommended the Michelin Pilot Sports over the OEM Bridgestones. When I picked up the car, I quickly noticed a tire pull to the right. At speeds over 30 mph, after about 100 feet or so, it pulls to the right enough to change lanes. I had a $119.00 alignment done with the new tires today as well. Also, the car seems to be riding really rough and the tires made a lot of noise on the highway at high speed. The had 39 psi in the tires, so I did let some air out when I pulled into the garage tonight. Am I imagining this? Not to mention Lexus put a big scratch on my tire rim when they mounted the passenger side tire.

I've had the car since it was brand new and have not had any issues. I could take my hands off of the wheel and it rode like it was on rails.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
I would take this issue back up to the dealer and make them recheck the alignment first then go from there. Possibly a bad alignment but dealer should def take care of this for you. As far as the scratch, going to be hard to prove it was them now, I personally wouldn't have left the dealership if they did this to me.
Old 02-12-19, 08:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I've just replaced my tyres with Kumho Tyres - Crugen Premium SUV KL33. This is in Australia so don't know if you guys have them in North America but I love them. Around half the price of Bridgestone, Dunlop OEM tyres and they're quieter, handling is probably similar but as I don't push the car much your really can't tell. For me they are fine.

One point, they are only "H" rated instead of "V" and the ride is a little smoother, the small bumps feel softer, not quite as jiggly, maybe a loss of handling but I can't tell.
What is happening, lol? These are SUV tires. Are you talking about the RX? If so, this might be the wrong thread.
Old 02-12-19, 02:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
What is happening, lol? These are SUV tires. Are you talking about the RX? If so, this might be the wrong thread.
Maybe it's a lifted IS. We need pics
Old 02-12-19, 02:19 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by EZZ
Maybe it's a lifted IS. We need pics
You know, I have seen some rally-spec Corollas that look pretty mean - I'm sure the IS could do just fine.

Example: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...d-corolla.html

The spindle grill would have to go.
Old 10-01-19, 08:08 AM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same tire and same problem (started happening after 2000-3000 miles two different sets Michelin PS AS 3+ tires both times), I have replaced the bushing with the gs-f/RC-f ones and it didnt really help to prevent the issue either on the second round of these tires. I would not go with these tires again, but like you said the OEM turanzas are expensive and do not perform well - curious where to go from here as well.