IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Converting 7” to 10” Display + Radio/Center Console Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 01:33 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwin8484

Yes, like Sanuke said. You would need the radio as wel due to resolution compatibility.
you will also need the AC plate due to fitting to new radio. You will also need the dash cover where the power button is. That will allow for you to see 10” display better. Might need the new joystick. I already have the new one on my car. If that’s the case then you might need to replace must of the center console.
Gotcha. That's what I was afraid of. Sounds like $$$. I wish these car manufacturers would make it easier to swap things out, you know. Keep us posted, and take some pics once you start taking the dash apart. Would be a good "How-to".
Old 06-28-18, 01:43 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
Gotcha. That's what I was afraid of. Sounds like $$$. I wish these car manufacturers would make it easier to swap things out, you know. Keep us posted, and take some pics once you start taking the dash apart. Would be a good "How-to".
There are companies that can do it for BMW. f30 bmw owners can swap out their tiny screen with a larger OEM style aftermarket version and the entire radio/computer upgrades the screen resolution. all plug and play.
Not sure why it can't be done for Lexus/toyota.. =\
The screen itself is just an display unit. A device between the radio and the screen needs to be created to up-convert the resolution smoothly. Anyone have the rear pin layout of the new and old screen? Maybe I can look into some type of conversion upscale chip built into a cable.
Old 06-29-18, 08:02 AM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
I am buying some stuff used. Hoping that I could justify the extra money I would pay to trade in my car to a new one with the 10” display. If I can get it all done under 2k I am already winning since they charge about 2K more for the 10” display with navigation.
I will rake pictures as I go along so that everything can understand what I did.
Old 06-29-18, 08:10 AM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 350phi
There are companies that can do it for BMW. f30 bmw owners can swap out their tiny screen with a larger OEM style aftermarket version and the entire radio/computer upgrades the screen resolution. all plug and play.
Not sure why it can't be done for Lexus/toyota.. =\
The screen itself is just an display unit. A device between the radio and the screen needs to be created to up-convert the resolution smoothly. Anyone have the rear pin layout of the new and old screen? Maybe I can look into some type of conversion upscale chip built into a cable.
Since I also bought the radio receiver with the display. I found out that the receiver converts the resolution to fit the 10” display without the need of a converter.
I believed it is embedded into the software of the receiver. It ain’t only matter of the video displaying in the 10” but also of the software working seemly with the display. My understanding is that when the map or any other application is being display on the 10” it also display a second or third app. For example, on one side of the display you can have maps and on the other side of the display you can have Media player or weather, or vehicle info. With a receiver that does not support 10” this won’t be able to display.
The idea sounds excellent for displaying on the 10” screen but doesn’t sound like it would utilize the features available on the receiver.
Old 06-30-18, 04:05 AM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edwin8484, where did you source the 10” and radio receiver from please? There was a previous thread discussion about how this upgrade wouldn’t be cost effective.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...older-3is.html

Definitely interested in how successful you are with this swap. Please update. Maybe a DIY? 🙏😀

Last edited by bmwlexus09; 06-30-18 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 06:38 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke

part number 90980-12C80
​​​Is the correct plug for the new wider 10" display

The other plug is for the older 7" display, which is also carried over for non-Navi setup on the newer refresh model cars.
The following users liked this post:
Sasnuke (06-30-18)
Old 06-30-18, 07:36 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Thanks spec!
After looking at the units again after my initial post, I was starting to think it was the bottom connector...but for what it's worth, I would just buy both and call it a day.
Old 06-30-18, 12:38 PM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bmwlexus09
Edwin8484, where did you source the 10” and radio receiver from please? There was a previous thread discussion about how this upgrade wouldn’t be cost effective.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...older-3is.html

Definitely interested in how successful you are with this swap. Please update. Maybe a DIY? 🙏😀
I am trying to make it as much cost effective as possible. I have been keeping an eye out on eBay for 2017+ used or junk parts. I was finally able to get the 10” screen and radio for a good price. I was also able to get the A/C control and side moldings. I am at about $1200 with used parts. It would have been about $400 less but I had to order the whole front dash wiring. Used since new it cost about 4K.
I will be making a DIY once I get all the parts and some time to get it done. 2 weeks from now or so.
Old 06-30-18, 12:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Looking forward to the DIY Edwin.

If possible, could you include what part numbers you removed from your vehicle, and which ones you replaced them with?
It would be a great help for sourcing the parts.

I think it's safe to say this has been the hottest thread of the day/week/month...possibly year!!
Old 06-30-18, 01:03 PM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Originally Posted by specONE
part number 90980-12C80
​​​Is the correct plug for the new wider 10" display

The other plug is for the older 7" display, which is also carried over for non-Navi setup on the newer refresh model cars.
Thank you SpecOne. I have been trying to source the part number without any luck.
LexoticJ (07-05-18)
Old 06-30-18, 03:56 PM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Looking forward to the DIY Edwin.

If possible, could you include what part numbers you removed from your vehicle, and which ones you replaced them with?
It would be a great help for sourcing the parts.

I think it's safe to say this has been the hottest thread of the day/week/month...possibly year!!
Yes I’ll make sure to include all part numbers that I replace. I hope a lot of us benefit from the information we all gather to make this happen.
Old 06-30-18, 06:47 PM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

After some research and comparison I realized that maybe the blue wires can’t be spliced. This is because the wire appears to be a coax or optical cable of some source. There are only two solutions to this in my opinion.
1st option is to sourced the blue plug from the part numbers provided by a couple of members on my thread. Then find out if the plug comes with the connector that crimps onto the wire. Then crimp the new connector to the wire and done.
Easier said than done. Will probably require a special tool to crimp the connector and wire together. And this is only if the plug comes with the connector.
Exchanging the inside connector from the old plug won’t be possible due to being wider/thicker and different partern. (Refer to pictures) Therefore the blue plug from the part number above needs to come with the connector or else this won’t work.

The second option is to get the whole wiring system for the dash. This has to be from a 2017+ IS with NAVIGATION!
I bought this off eBay, used/junk items I think. I bought this for close to $400 😒
Wish I could have found a cheaper solution.

I trace the new wiring system and isolated/ removed the wiring needed to connec the 10” display. It is a green plug to the radio and two blue wires. One to the 10” display and one to the speedo I believe.
The blue wire for the Speedo is the exact same old blue connector used for ALL 7” display.

Know that before buying the wiring I made sure the radio and display was going to work.
I know the stereo unit plugs and play. All functions work properly and display on the 7” except that the resolution is soomed/cuts off. When I use the joystick the pointer disappear as if there is more room outside of the 7” display.
Now that I have the connector, I should be able to text everything making sure it works properly.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do this until 2 weeks from now.

Very soon this will be a possible Retrofit for us 7 inchers 😝

The following 4 users liked this post by Edwin8484:
Flash5 (06-30-18), levchik77 (07-11-19), Sasnuke (07-01-18), Sonn (07-10-19)
Old 07-01-18, 08:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent work Edwin!
You can't see it, but I'm sure we're all cheering for you in the background!
Old 07-01-18, 10:35 AM
specONE
Racer

You are crazy Edwin.
Part number to this whole dash harness please
Old 07-01-18, 10:37 AM
specONE
Racer

Also please more pictures of this new square plug from all angles. I would like to see if I can somehow find a source of this connector from actual manufacturer/designer of it.
Flash5 (07-01-18)

Quick Reply: Converting 7” to 10” Display + Radio/Center Console Upgrade