IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18 | 03:16 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I don't have the exact answer, but based on what I have experienced I have noticed it tends to use recirculation when it's hotter outside than inside. I think this is to help keep out the hot air rather than pull it in. This can sometimes lead to unpleasant smells (read: mildew), though, so I try to open the vents once in a while. I've noticed that in colder weather it seems to default to pulling air in from the outside, which isn't always desirable.

So to answer your question, I have only theories.
I'm pretty sure only Lexus engineers could answer this definitively lol.
Old 08-14-18 | 03:42 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

I don't have the exact answer, but based on what I have experienced I have noticed it tends to use recirculation when it's hotter outside than inside. I think this is to help keep out the hot air rather than pull it in. This can sometimes lead to unpleasant smells (read: mildew), though, so I try to open the vents once in a while. I've noticed that in colder weather it seems to default to pulling air in from the outside, which isn't always desirable.

So to answer your question, I have only theories.
That kind of makes sense.
Old 08-14-18 | 03:53 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Another dumb question. I'm waiting to get subwoofer installation later this month.
1. Without amplifier with its own level control (or volume control), would head unit's bass level handle the level of subwoofer?
2. Until subwoofer is installed, I still want to increase the bass level on the stock units (ML). Let's say I don't go above volume 30, can I keep the bass at the max level without any distortion?
Old 08-14-18 | 08:21 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

I tried Googling comparative images, but no luck.
How (if at all) has the spindle Fsport grill
changed from 2014-2018?
Old 08-14-18 | 10:22 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Other dumb questions. I hate reading the manual....
So, the volume through the bluetooth/iPhone music source is loud,
the radio is weaker, iPhone mobile phone volume through Bluetooth is weak
and Nav volume is weakest. In fact, when using the Nav audio, I have to keep
the sunroof and car windows closed. Any similar observations? Of course
I am adjusting the volume **** for each source.
Old 08-14-18 | 10:24 PM
Sant0rini
Driver School Candidate

I know that the required maintenance reminder is purely mileage-based. I don't think we have an oil life gauge.
glad someone asked this cuz I was going to ask very samething. Bought a 15 3IS Fsport with 30k.. reset my trip mileage.. and just hit around 38k and my maintenance light came on but wouldn’t tell me what needs attention , obv assuming it’s oil but like above question, couldn’t find anything in the car system.
Old 08-14-18 | 10:29 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
Other dumb questions. I hate reading the manual....
So, the volume through the bluetooth/iPhone music source is loud,
the radio is weaker, iPhone mobile phone volume through Bluetooth is weak
and Nav volume is weakest. In fact, when using the Nav audio, I have to keep
the sunroof and car windows closed. Any similar observations? Of course
I am adjusting the volume **** for each source.
My music on my iPhone through Bluetooth is weak compared to when I’m connected through USB so I never use Bluetooth. Satellite radio is decent and almost as loud as iPhone through USB. The phone calls over Bluetooth are weakest for me even with the volume all the way up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flash5:
ItsJulz (03-09-22), RKSTRAT (08-15-18)
Old 08-14-18 | 11:01 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I tried Googling comparative images, but no luck.
How (if at all) has the spindle Fsport grill
changed from 2014-2018?
top is 2014 bottom is 2017. Youll notice that the top one the grill is more squiggly rather than a bunch of Xs, the "pinched" part is also more aggressive in the 17 vs 14. Trim pieces are also different colors, and go all the way around to the outside of those front vents rather than inside and stop. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited by Jay89; 08-14-18 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18 | 01:12 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
It looks like a 10 digit part number, so no matter the car it's the same part, which would suggest it comes flat black and is ready for paint.
With some painted parts the part number is 12 digits, and the last two represent the color code of the vehicle.
Ahh i see, don't know why Lexus wouldn't pre paint the cover since its a small part.
thanks sasnuke
Old 08-15-18 | 11:21 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

The purpose of that was to allow you to turn off traction control temporarily, such as when you are stuck, for example in snow. Once you get up to a certain speed (maybe 35 mph?) the TC turns back on again.

If you do the long press, that turns off not only TC, but VSC (stability control) as well, which is a different use case. Then, it won't turn back on unless you press the button again. If you've ever heard of the pedal dance on the 2nd-generation IS, you know what this does.

Basically the long press is intended for spirited driving, such as on a track, whereas the other one is just to get you moving on a slippery surface.
Just curious, I don't remember seeing the "long press" to permanently turn off the TC in the IS300 Manual. Is it a "trick" like the pedal dance?
After the long press, you turn the TC back on with a single short press? Will it reset after shutting off the car?
Old 08-15-18 | 01:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^ yes to both of the last two questions. all cars from all makers re-engage the stability control program when the car is turned off and back on.

short press iirc on this car turns trac off but stability remains on. long press both are off. (you'll see the skidding car icon illuminate in addition to "Trac Off")
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18 | 01:26 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by E46CT
^ yes to both of the last two questions. all cars from all makers re-engage the stability control program when the car is turned off and back on.

short press iirc on this car turns trac off but stability remains on. long press both are off. (you'll see the skidding car icon illuminate in addition to "Trac Off")
I can confirm the VSC being off as well. I drove it in the snow (in a parking lot, of course) with TC off with the long press, and I could slide for days. You don't have to do the pedal dance anymore.

Originally Posted by Flash5
I'm pretty sure only Lexus engineers could answer this definitively lol.
Just saying, based on recent events...

Last edited by arentz07; 08-15-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-17-18 | 11:03 AM
ex00
Intermediate

Dumb question or maybe not. But where is the AS1 line on the 3IS? Can't find it (2018 IS300 F Sport) and also checked on my friends 2014 IS250 F Sport and both don't have one. Want to put a banner on the windshield and want to make sure its above the AS1 Line.
Old 08-17-18 | 11:28 AM
lance55
Driver

Originally Posted by yohan81718
Another dumb question. I'm waiting to get subwoofer installation later this month.
1. Without amplifier with its own level control (or volume control), would head unit's bass level handle the level of subwoofer?
2. Until subwoofer is installed, I still want to increase the bass level on the stock units (ML). Let's say I don't go above volume 30, can I keep the bass at the max level without any distortion?
I have a sub/amp in my 3IS and have had one in my previous 3 cars. If I am understanding your question correctly...

1) Are you referring to the stock amp powering an aftermarket sub, or are you talking about the small built in sub? Either way, without an aftermarket amp, the head unit's bass level will control the bass all around, for all speakers. Not just the stock sub, or aftermarket sub. I'm not sure the stock amp(s) put out enough juice to run an aftermarket sub..

2) Volume 30 isn't very loud. I doubt there would be any distortion. That said, it probably wouldn't sound that great. Ideally, you'll want your bass set to +1 or +2, with the rest of the bass coming from your amp/sub. Then just adjust the sub's bass with the amp level control (bass ****).
Old 08-17-18 | 12:24 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lance55
I have a sub/amp in my 3IS and have had one in my previous 3 cars. If I am understanding your question correctly...

1) Are you referring to the stock amp powering an aftermarket sub, or are you talking about the small built in sub? Either way, without an aftermarket amp, the head unit's bass level will control the bass all around, for all speakers. Not just the stock sub, or aftermarket sub. I'm not sure the stock amp(s) put out enough juice to run an aftermarket sub..

2) Volume 30 isn't very loud. I doubt there would be any distortion. That said, it probably wouldn't sound that great. Ideally, you'll want your bass set to +1 or +2, with the rest of the bass coming from your amp/sub. Then just adjust the sub's bass with the amp level control (bass ****).
Thanks for the answers. I do have my old sub/amp that I used on my previous car which does not have volume **** itself. But I just did a quick search and looks like I can add the volume **** quite easily with RCA in/out cable. I will give that a try soon.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!