IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 01:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by abaitedcat
How do I play music or roll windows when the Engine isn't on? I've never had a keyless entry thingy like this before so I'm confused. Thank you.
you press the engine start button once (do not put your foot on brake) and it acts as if you're turning your key once (in a conventional car) to listen to the radio. You press the start button again (all the dash lights will turn on) to be able to activate the windows. You press it a third time to turn the electronics completely off.

So one or two presses with foot NOT on brake to do stuff like listen to radio or activate windows.
Old 08-21-18, 01:49 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MorrisGray
Okay, I have a new dumb question.... Is the IS350 a bigger car than the IS250?
Here is why I ask. I was at work talking about shopping for a new IS350 and one guy says he has a 2007 IS250 and his friend has a IS350. He proceeds to tell me the IS350 his friend owns has more room in the back seat than his IS250. I say that maybe they had increased the roominess in newer models and asked him if his friends was a newer model. He says no the 350 is bigger than the 250, kind of like BMW 3 series vs BMW 4 series. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about but am unsure about the older model of the IS. Was he correct?

As far as I can tell now at least, the only difference in a IS any size motor, is just the motor size.
Depending on the year of the 2IS, they made modifications to the backing of the front seats to allow for more leg space for the back seats. If its the 3IS... I'm not sure the specifics but they may have made changes throughout the years too

How do I play music or roll windows when the Engine isn't on? I've never had a keyless entry thingy like this before so I'm confused. Thank you.
*Also, if your car engine is already on and want to continue music/call when parked: Shift your car to Neutral and the push start button to get your car into ACC mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by ExTrEmE99:
Former5SFE (08-23-18), TheLex350 (06-22-20)
Old 08-21-18, 08:47 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the car and the air filter and brake fluid indicators came on the screen telling me I need to change it. Should I? This car is at 44,000 miles. The brake pads seem okay and are quiet, do I still need to get the brake fluids changed? Also, the oil needs to be changed in 1000 miles out of 10,000 miles. I thought it was supposed to be 5,000 miles. Are these settings stuck in the lexus system or are they just manually created?
Old 08-21-18, 09:12 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Just got the car and the air filter and brake fluid indicators came on the screen telling me I need to change it. Should I? This car is at 44,000 miles. The brake pads seem okay and are quiet, do I still need to get the brake fluids changed? Also, the oil needs to be changed in 1000 miles out of 10,000 miles. I thought it was supposed to be 5,000 miles. Are these settings stuck in the lexus system or are they just manually created?
You can pull up the service manual for your car online. Oil changes are in fact 10,000 mile intervals but that’s just the recommended mileage. The brake fluid and filter will be in the manual but if you don’t know if it has ever been changed I would change the air filter. The brake fluid I would inspect and go from there at 44k it might be a good idea.

Last edited by Flash5; 08-21-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 09:55 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

Are these warning indicators manually reset/programmed or are there actual sensors telling me I need to change the air filter / brake fluid. If they can be manually reset will this void warranty for future issues with brakes if I decide not to change the brake fluid. Has anyone ever heard of replacing the brake fluid and not the pads separately?

Thank you.
Old 08-21-18, 10:18 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Are these warning indicators manually reset/programmed or are there actual sensors telling me I need to change the air filter / brake fluid. If they can be manually reset will this void warranty for future issues with brakes if I decide not to change the brake fluid. Has anyone ever heard of replacing the brake fluid and not the pads separately?

Thank you.
There are no sensors monitoring the actual life of these things it’s manually set by mileage. You can change the brake fluid without changing pads and rotors if you want. Warranty wouldn’t be an issue at this point.
Old 08-21-18, 11:31 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Brake fluid is just the hydraulic fluid that actually applies force to allow you to stop, they shouldnt cause any noise. General rule of thumb is to replace your brake fluid once every 2 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the air. If its contaminated with too much water, it can start corroding the lines, or block them. In extreme cases of moisture contamination, it turns into a very gooey mess. Brakes dont work very well like that. Most of the time it also turns into a very dark color, almost black. Its supposed to be a bright light yellow or clear.

air filter, super easy to check. Just pop the clips off the air box and pull out the filter. Drop it lightly dirty side down on a table or floor. If when you lift there's lots of dust and dirt, replace. If there's nothing, put it back in.

on my car it looks like its manually entered by whatever tech does your oil change
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay89:
Biggeek (10-05-19), chicatemi (10-07-20)
Old 08-22-18, 01:33 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

Concerning the brake fluid again, my next oil change is due at 1000 miles... should I just wait until then... I dont have much time to bring the car into the dealership or am unable to work on my car myself due to where I live and my lack of skills and belief in my own abilities. I drive the car maybe 3 or 4 days out of the week max to nearby places.

Thank you. Any links to the best way to write a dash cam without having to tear everything up or going through the battery. what's the best route?

Concerning the technology that allows for the doors to unlock when i have the key on me without pressing any buttons, is it possible to disable that? I am more comfortable with pressing the lock on the remote and then double checking by pulling on the door handle myself... similar to my old 2001 one. I didn't even know my car had this feature until my friend mentioned it.

Is there a way to adjust the steering wheel up or down?
Old 08-22-18, 05:31 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Concerning the brake fluid again, my next oil change is due at 1000 miles... should I just wait until then... I dont have much time to bring the car into the dealership or am unable to work on my car myself due to where I live and my lack of skills and belief in my own abilities. I drive the car maybe 3 or 4 days out of the week max to nearby places.

Thank you. Any links to the best way to write a dash cam without having to tear everything up or going through the battery. what's the best route?

Concerning the technology that allows for the doors to unlock when i have the key on me without pressing any buttons, is it possible to disable that? I am more comfortable with pressing the lock on the remote and then double checking by pulling on the door handle myself... similar to my old 2001 one. I didn't even know my car had this feature until my friend mentioned it.

Is there a way to adjust the steering wheel up or down?
Yes, I would do the oil change and brake fluid at the same time so you aren’t making multiple trips to the dealership. Idk about disabling the handle unlock I didn’t see in the owners manual that you could disable that but I could be wrong. The steering wheel moves up and down like most cars there is a lever under the steering wheel you pull it down and you can adjust the steering wheel up, down, in, and out.
Old 08-23-18, 05:49 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99

*Also, if your car engine is already on and want to continue music/call when parked: Shift your car to Neutral and the push start button to get your car into ACC mode.
HOLY *****, this is going to change my life!!! I'll have to try this today! I've always hated how the car instantly shuts off everything when you shut it off. Every car I've ever owned had a physical key ignition that I could just bump down to ACC after parking to finish out a song, or would just keep the stereo on until I opened the door. It's not even feasible to put it in park, hit the start button, then try to quickly hit it again to go into ACC mode because the system takes about 30 seconds to start up and connect to bluetooth again. This is a game changer I never knew about lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Former5SFE:
chicatemi (10-07-20), TheLex350 (06-22-20)
Old 08-23-18, 06:19 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

BTW, the power windows and sun roof work
for a while after shutting off the ignition.
Old 08-24-18, 12:53 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Wonder why toyota would make you put it in neutral or have that feature? will have to try that out too. you'd think they would make it more intuitive by having you long-press the start button maybe. you'd think having it in neutral with the engine off would be a bit dangerous. set your parking brake if you try this!
Old 08-24-18, 10:44 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

Can anyone recommend a broadway or wider aftermarket mirror that would actually fit over the stock mirror?

I drove my car for the first time at night and the lights from the other cars look like rows reflecting off of the rear window. Is this normal? I suspect the original owner might have replaced the back window. It makes me kind of dizzy looking at how the other cars lights look. Even from far away they look high in the air and rows. The side mirrors are fine.

Is there a way to leave the sports mode on after I shut the car off or do I have to set it each time I start driving?

Thanks
Old 08-25-18, 07:36 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Can anyone recommend a broadway or wider aftermarket mirror that would actually fit over the stock mirror?

I drove my car for the first time at night and the lights from the other cars look like rows reflecting off of the rear window. Is this normal? I suspect the original owner might have replaced the back window. It makes me kind of dizzy looking at how the other cars lights look. Even from far away they look high in the air and rows. The side mirrors are fine.

Is there a way to leave the sports mode on after I shut the car off or do I have to set it each time I start driving?

Thanks
Sounds like your rearview mirror isn't stock. If it was, it would be auto-dimming when the headlights of other cars shine on it (and of course you wouldn't see multiple of the same lights). Or perhaps it was damaged. Are you wanting a wider mirror or just to fix the problem with seeing multiple?

In regards to Sport mode, there is no way to make Sport mode active when you first turn the car on. The mode automatically reverts to Normal when the car is shut off. rant: For what it's worth, I stay out of Sport until I've been driving for 10-15 minutes. The throttle can be a bit touchy, which has led to some accidental downshifts before. I don't want to rev high until the oil is up to temp.
Old 08-25-18, 11:00 AM
abaitedcat
Driver

The rearview mirror is stock, but the back glass mirror might not be. I want a wider mirror like one of those broadway mirrors but the one i had on my civic doesn't fit onto the lexus rearview mirror. The problem isn't the rearview mirror, it's the glass in the back.

The cars behind me at night give off a column lined reflection when I look at them through the back glass. Each car has this kind of pattern shining at me.
_ _
_ _
_ _
_ _
_ _
_ _

One column for each headlight in conjunction with the lines down the rear glass. Is this normal?

Last edited by abaitedcat; 08-25-18 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!