IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 07:59 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I scanned through pre-facelift and facelift owners manuals for all 3IS models. No mention of any 2nd gear. Anywhere. The manual is vague and simply states snow mode is for slippery conditions.

"Snow mode can be selected to suit the conditions when driving on slippery road surfaces, such as snow."

Can you cite the page # and exact quote where it says snow mode starts off in 2nd gear?? Better yet, take a picture of your owners manual?

This has been a common misconception on several Lexus forums for many models. I know older BMWs by default used to start in 2nd gear but not even for snow purposes. Because BMW purposes. lol. but i'm not sure where you're getting that from other than from others repeating it.

I like hardcore facts and evidence!
Hmmm it would seem you’re right. I can’t remember where I had read about the 1st gear thing or actually I think it may have been the Lexus Tech guy that showed me all the features of my car that told me that when I picked it up. Go figures.
Old 09-06-18, 08:04 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
Dumb question here....want to understand how does the transmission behaves when rolling to a stop? The RPM seems to be at 600-700 and sits in 4th around 30 MPH until I press on the brakes which causes it to downshift 4-3-2. At that the point where it is at 600-700 RPM- is the transmission disengaged which is the reason why it sits at such a low RPM until the brake is applied?

Been having this pop/clunk noise whenever my car downshifts from 4th gear and only in 4th gear. Trying to distinguish between an exhaust pop or transmission issue.
I definitely get a pop or clunk sometimes when I am slowing down to a stop with moderate braking. I'm not sure whether it's coming from the 4th to 3rd downshift or not - I'll have to have the Gear Position display active next time I drive. I have the stock exhaust but it has a slight dent in it on one side when I ran over something (yes, I had it up on a lift and checked out...). I always assumed the clunk was due to that.
Old 09-06-18, 08:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Dumb question here....want to understand how does the transmission behaves when rolling to a stop? The RPM seems to be at 600-700 and sits in 4th around 30 MPH until I press on the brakes which causes it to downshift 4-3-2. At that the point where it is at 600-700 RPM- is the transmission disengaged which is the reason why it sits at such a low RPM until the brake is applied?

Been having this pop/clunk noise whenever my car downshifts from 4th gear and only in 4th gear. Trying to distinguish between an exhaust pop or transmission issue.
The transmission is tuned for fuel economy so it will always be in the gear that allows for the lowest RPM possible while also staying in a reasonably high gear (low #) so it can accelerate if needed. But it does stay on the conservative side, I'll tend to see it in 4th gear as i'm crawling in parking lots for a space. interesting behavior compared to cars in the past i've had.

either case your car should not be making any noises as you describe under any circumstances. unless you have a modified exhaust or something.

and your transmission is never disengaged while in drive.
Old 09-06-18, 08:05 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Almost all articles and videos I find of snow mode for Lexus mention the car starting in 2nd gear. Idk I give up. Lol
Old 09-06-18, 08:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5

Hmmm it would seem you’re right. I can’t remember where I had read about the 1st gear thing or actually I think it may have been the Lexus Tech guy that showed me all the features of my car that told me that when I picked it up. Go figures.
no problem. i've been interested in snow mode too as well and i honestly can't notice any difference in behavior. tried eco + snow to see how dull it can be. but i haven't extensively tested. but for sure car uses first gear in snow mode. you can set the info screen to the trans indicator.
Old 09-06-18, 08:20 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I definitely get a pop or clunk sometimes when I am slowing down to a stop with moderate braking. I'm not sure whether it's coming from the 4th to 3rd downshift or not - I'll have to have the Gear Position display active next time I drive. I have the stock exhaust but it has a slight dent in it on one side when I ran over something (yes, I had it up on a lift and checked out...). I always assumed the clunk was due to that.
I have narrowed it down to it only happening in 4th gear when it downshifts 4-3-2. It only happens sometimes which is weird.

The transmission is tuned for fuel economy so it will always be in the gear that allows for the lowest RPM possible while also staying in a reasonably high gear (low #) so it can accelerate if needed. But it does stay on the conservative side, I'll tend to see it in 4th gear as i'm crawling in parking lots for a space. interesting behavior compared to cars in the past i've had.

either case your car should not be making any noises as you describe under any circumstances. unless you have a modified exhaust or something.

and your transmission is never disengaged while in drive.
This pop/clunk noise has been happening prior to my F- Sport axle back and recently installed Apexi Midpipe. But if my exhaust was to pop, it would be at a higher RPM no?

Also to add, when merging on the highway, the transmission will shift from 5th to 6th and once engaged in 6th gear the RPM will drop a bit as if I let off the gas then immediately go back up. Like you said very interesting behavior.
Old 09-06-18, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I have narrowed it down to it only happening in 4th gear when it downshifts 4-3-2. It only happens sometimes which is weird.

This pop/clunk noise has been happening prior to my F- Sport axle back and recently installed Apexi Midpipe. But if my exhaust was to pop, it would be at a higher RPM no?

Also to add, when merging on the highway, the transmission will shift from 5th to 6th and once engaged in 6th gear the RPM will drop a bit as if I let off the gas then immediately go back up. Like you said very interesting behavior.
I was more stating it's interesting how cars today can roam parking lots in 4th/5th gear due to more transmission ratios than in past cars. That's all.

As far as your car, just drive it. don't sweat it. little chance anything is wrong with your car. transmission logic is a very complicated thing and so the transmission will behave in different ways at times, leave it to the software, computer, and engineers. just enjoy the drive.
The following users liked this post:
JNP1227 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 08:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars

I was more stating it's interesting how cars today can roam parking lots in 4th/5th gear due to more transmission ratios than in past cars. That's all.

As far as your car, just drive it. don't sweat it. little chance anything is wrong with your car. transmission logic is a very complicated thing and so the transmission will behave in different ways at times, leave it to the software, computer, and engineers. just enjoy the drive.
Yeah. I have had this clunk for a long time - I'd say at least 18 months now. I didn't notice it till after I had the little incident which dented my exhaust, but the car feels fine - gas mileage is fine, there's no noise... Everything else checked out under the car except the dent. I suspect the pop/clunk under deceleration is benign.

If you want to mitigate it, you can try playing with the amount of brake pedal pressure as you decelerate. I find if I am super gentle on the pedal as I get down to around 20 MPH, the pop doesn't happen.
Old 09-06-18, 08:38 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah. I have had this clunk for a long time - I'd say at least 18 months now. I didn't notice it till after I had the little incident which dented my exhaust, but the car feels fine - gas mileage is fine, there's no noise... Everything else checked out under the car except the dent. I suspect the pop/clunk under deceleration is benign.

If you want to mitigate it, you can try playing with the amount of brake pedal pressure as you decelerate. I find if I am super gentle on the pedal as I get down to around 20 MPH, the pop doesn't happen.

Have had it for 20k+ miles and have narrowed it down when the brake is applied no matter how little or hard you brake but otherwise transmission is strong and no other issues. I guess if something happens what are extended warranties for right?
Old 09-06-18, 08:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Once in a while I'll heard a pop/clunk too when cruising at low speed and hit the gas to where the car has to drop down a gear. (lets say doing a "California rolling stop") My guess it's a trans mount getting funky or starting to show wear. Our drivetrains do flex a lot so i can see our mounts causing this as they age.

unless it gets worse, i'll just let it be for now. happens very seldom. don't want to spend a whole saturday morning at a dealer only for a tech to say "can't find anything wrong!" no time for that haha
Old 09-06-18, 11:03 AM
shsaing
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb question -
I have a 2014 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. Rearview camera does not have TURN Trajectories, I know it was introduced on 2015+ Models.

Is there a way for me to get turn trajectories? Do I have to upgrade a software or buy something in terms of parts? Or is it not possible
Old 09-06-18, 11:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Have had it for 20k+ miles and have narrowed it down when the brake is applied no matter how little or hard you brake but otherwise transmission is strong and no other issues. I guess if something happens what are extended warranties for right?
Pretty much

On the way back from lunch just now, I watched the Gear Position. I was able to reproduce the pop, and it was when downshifting from 4th into 3rd just like you. Mine doesn't occur that often though, maybe 10-20% of the time, seems to depend on the brake pedal pressure as I mentioned before.
Old 09-07-18, 07:45 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For all you out there with the heated steering wheel, does the entire wheel heat up, or just the left and right side? I used mine yesterday for the first time since I bought the car and noticed the top and bottom don't get warm. On my ATS the entire steering wheel would heat up.
Old 09-07-18, 07:47 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
For all you out there with the heated steering wheel, does the entire wheel heat up, or just the left and right side? I used mine yesterday for the first time since I bought the car and noticed the top and bottom don't get warm. On my ATS the entire steering wheel would heat up.
Just the sides.
Former5SFE (09-07-18)
Old 09-07-18, 07:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
The heated steering wheel in the IS is going to only heat up the 9-and-3 grip, so as you said, the leftmost and rightmost parts. For me that works out since I usually grip the steering wheel there anyway.
Former5SFE (09-07-18)

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!