IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 09:37 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Lol not a dumb question I have a G37S and it threw me off when I got the IS. I just let it find it’s way, though at first I was super conscious about it and would guide the lever. When I get in my G37S now it feels weird not feeling that zigzag though haha.
I think the zigzag is to try to minimize accidental movement of the lever but idk if someone else wants to input on that. Also might help to know that you changed into a different position since you’ll really feel it when you move the lever.

I don’t seem to have a Thanks button when I post from my phone, so Thanks!
Old 07-04-18, 09:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT

I don’t seem to have a Thanks button when I post from my phone, so Thanks!
Yeah I always keep the website on full version on my phone it’s annoying not having all the features so I don’t use mobile mode. And no problem!
Old 07-04-18, 10:39 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Really dumb question.

I am not used to this zig-zag gear shift.
My last two vehicles were a G35x and G37x.
Shift lever was straight back and fourth with a slot to go into manual.

1, Whats the the purpose of the zigzag?
2. Do you consciously guide the lever through the zigzag from park to drive? or just kind of let it find it’s way.
I'm a guider more interactive. but it finds its way just fine regardless. Pretty sure it's a metal track anyways no harm done.

also will be switching to full site mode and no more mobile mode ha.
Old 07-05-18, 07:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I don't know if I know the answer for sure, but I'd suspect the zig-zag pattern of the shifter is just a stylistic preference. It's also a way of avoiding having a button on the shifter. Both of those elements -- having a button and going straight up and down -- might make it seem like a low-end automatic budget car. I think luxury makes introduced the zig zag pattern a while back. I'm not completely sure though. Just seems fancier. I personally prefer it to straight up and down. I think in the near future though we're going to have digital shifters, **** shifters, or column mounted digital shifters to free up space in the center console.
The following users liked this post:
EoIS300NJ (09-24-20)
Old 07-05-18, 07:45 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I don't know if I know the answer for sure, but I'd suspect the zig-zag pattern of the shifter is just a stylistic preference. It's also a way of avoiding having a button on the shifter. Both of those elements -- having a button and going straight up and down -- might make it seem like a low-end automatic budget car. I think luxury makes introduced the zig zag pattern a while back. I'm not completely sure though. Just seems fancier. I personally prefer it to straight up and down. I think in the near future though we're going to have digital shifters, **** shifters, or column mounted digital shifters to free up space in the center console.
Ugh if **** shifters become mainstream I’m going to be so annoyed.
Old 07-05-18, 08:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

When I changed my fronts at around 15,000 miles, the very inner on the front tires were bald while the rest of the front tires had about 75% left--a huge waste I know. Now my car was lowered slightly (less than half an inch) so this could've sped the wear up. I got a custom alignment with my toe zeroed out so we'll see this time around if it wears the same. My rears wore much better with 10% remaining (maybe less than 1mm to the wear bars) and inners about bald. That was 21,500 miles. So about every 20,000 miles you'll need a new set of tires, assuming you are running summer tires. You can probably get 30-40k on all seasons.
I would like to pile on and say that with my AWD model with all-seasons, the service department told me I was having some accelerated inner tire wear at around 17k miles. They gave me a little bit more toe-in in order to put some additional weight on the outside of the tire during turns. So far the driving experience seems to be about the same, and the tires are still fine at almost 20k miles. So, more toe might be an option.
Old 07-05-18, 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Dunno about adding more toe-in. That would add wear. The tire is alreading leaning on it's edge and toe'd in on the factory alignment. So it's basically already sitting on the inside, already turned inward, while rolling down the road straight. And the dealer suggests turning it even more inward?

0 toe is optimal for wear under all scenarios.

Maybe the dealer meant camber? (as far as the pressure on the outside in turns)

None of that makes any sense. I'd take dealer advice with a grain of salt. They're usually not that knowledgeable and give very generic "what i heard at the auto parts store" or "things my granpappy used to say" or "things I heard at the gym" kind of advice, in my experience.

Anyway here's an idea of what the inner wear looked like on my old fronts.

I've put 5,000 miles on my new tires w/ 0 toe custom alignment. No noticeable accelerated wear. If they do though, I may just bite the bullet and get aftermarket CABs. They're wildly expensive though.

Anyway lets save this tire talk for the tire thread =) Lets let people ask their questions!
Old 07-05-18, 08:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Just to wrap up, he definitely mentioned both toe and camber, so I am sure he meant toe.
Old 07-06-18, 06:43 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

A couple common noises discussed before, but are they worth tracking down by the dealer?
More harm than good?:

1. Cabin noise: plastic ticking sound near the passenger door. Cabin must be cold to happen.
Either cold winter driving before the cabin heats up, or summer driving after the A/C has been on for a while.

2. Since I bought the car 6 months ago, on a morning start in the garage, there is a mild, sporadic thumping/thudding sound
within the first minute before putting it in gear. Motor mounts? Normal exhaust sound?
Old 07-06-18, 09:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

A couple common noises discussed before, but are they worth tracking down by the dealer?
More harm than good?:

1. Cabin noise: plastic ticking sound near the passenger door. Cabin must be cold to happen.
Either cold winter driving before the cabin heats up, or summer driving after the A/C has been on for a while.

2. Since I bought the car 6 months ago, on a morning start in the garage, there is a mild, sporadic thumping/thudding sound
within the first minute before putting it in gear. Motor mounts? Normal exhaust sound?
1) Depends on if the dealer having your car is worth it to you. The dealer likely won't find the noise and you'll have just been without your car for a while. But if it bugs you that much, it may bring you satisfaction to at least have it checked out once. Personally I'd investigate it myself and try to fix it myself. The door panel is very easy to pop off if you suspect it's in there.

2) Can you post a video? What car do you have/what year and how many miles? My turbo IS makes some noises on cold start idle in the morning but there's some wastegate stuff and other turbo noises going on. it's just a car doing car stuff.
Old 07-06-18, 09:34 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

1) What car do you have/what year and how many miles? My turbo IS makes some noises on cold start idle in the morning but there's some wastegate stuff and other turbo noises going on. it's just a car doing car stuff.
I have a 2017 IS300 Fsport with 3500 miles.
I thought the sporadic thudding on start was discussed in another thread, but I can't find it.
I am guessing it is normal, but I thought I would bring it up again in the "Dumb Question" thread.
I thought someone might say......oh yah, I know that noise.
Thanks, though.
Old 07-06-18, 09:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Cars usually sound grumpy on cold starts. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-06-18, 01:50 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was wondering do our 3IS have any system within our car that will tell us that something is wrong, such as your headlight bulb, taillights and other lights.. are burned out or not working???
Like my Audi and Benz anything that is not working or wrong, the system will pop up a message on the dash stating what and where is malfunction. Like euro cars with Can-Bus system. Any little thing you change if the system does not recognizes it, it will throw a fit.

Also what program or device Lexus use to scan and check our cars with?
Audi uses VAG (vcds) and Benz uses Star
Old 07-06-18, 05:50 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Yes the vehicle is equipped with a burnt out exterior bulb system.
And Techstream is the software that is used to scan Lexus/Toyota/Scion.
Old 07-09-18, 06:45 AM
arentz07
drives cars

This is probably a dumb question, and I am pretty sure I know the answer, just want to see what you guys think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LjJ8Zp1K9aSUjikf7

So I was going for a spirited drive yesterday (hey, it was Sunday after all ) and washed the car afterward. I noticed the brakes were pretty hot. While cleaning the wheels, I sprayed water onto the brake disc of the front right wheel. The water instantly turned to steam.

So I showed this to a friend and he said "maybe the brakes are warped?" I said, no, it was because I was actually using them . So I figure it's normal for them to get hot if used a lot in a short period of time. Any thoughts, confirmations?

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!