IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 08:58 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
5,000 RPM is nowhere near redline. Don't sweat it.
Right, I have no concerns whatsoever. There was a video review that we discussed in another thread, speculating that even the 350
is dialed back a bit with the chip.....we know that the aftermarket chip can improve it. Just pointing out that for being a very reliable engine,
it revs very high compared to my previous vehicles.
Old 08-08-19, 08:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It would be DOA as it's range is bad and it has to compete with Model 3 head on in terms of price.
They don't have Model 3 in UK?...

If you charge your car every night in your garage, I don't see 125 mile range as being bad.

I just like that's an EV that's palatable and not pretentious at the same time. As much as I love Tesla, it's sort of pretentious and you'd probably get a lot of attention for better and for worse. I like the idea of a sensible low-key but cool at the same time EV car
Old 08-08-19, 10:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
They don't have Model 3 in UK?...

If you charge your car every night in your garage, I don't see 125 mile range as being bad.

I just like that's an EV that's palatable and not pretentious at the same time. As much as I love Tesla, it's sort of pretentious and you'd probably get a lot of attention for better and for worse. I like the idea of a sensible low-key but cool at the same time EV car
With a 125 mile range, the issue of range anxiety is present. Tesla outsold all the EVs combined and then some. The issue all other EVs have is that they get lousy range and its hard to charge them outside of the home in the US. There aren't many level 2 chargers that give you 150 Kwh of charge in the US outside of Tesla. Its much more prevalent in Europe with companies like Ionity. You'd probably have to charge for a couple hours to fill that 125 mile range battery while it would take 30 minutes in a Model 3 to get 250 miles of range at Supercharger. Like I said, its DOA in the US.
Old 08-08-19, 10:39 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

A low-range EV could also supplement a household that already has a gas car, but can't quite afford the cost and insurance of a Tesla too.

i imagine this Honda E is light and fun (compared to a car w/ a biggery battery pack)

it's nice to have options. Jay Leno recently said there's no point (or an ever decreasing point) in owning a gasoline car anymore... he's right. We need more electric options though. anything manufacturers do to help achieve that, I welcome.
Old 08-08-19, 10:50 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

A low-range EV could also supplement a household that already has a gas car, but can't quite afford the cost and insurance of a Tesla too.

i imagine this Honda E is light and fun (compared to a car w/ a biggery battery pack)

it's nice to have options. Jay Leno recently said there's no point (or an ever decreasing point) in owning a gasoline car anymore... he's right. We need more electric options though. anything manufacturers do to help achieve that, I welcome.
EV’s are still in their infancy stage. As more automakers add EV’s to their lineups, more and more charging support will occur. If only Tesla was the one pushing the sector, it would take forever, but now that other automakers are joining in, it will speed up the adoption rate which will increase EV infrastructure. I want an EV myself once I get back to the States.
Old 08-08-19, 11:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I imagine the Honda E is better fit for European roads where all the cars are small. We don't get a lot of the smaller cars from Europe and Japan because they market for them is pretty small here. Our "small" cars are Civics and Corollas which are pretty big these days. I bet Honda will try to release a CRV type of electric car before bringing the Honda E here. Americans are still in love with the crossovers The Tesla Y will outsell all of Tesla's other products combined.
Old 08-08-19, 11:09 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How much are you paying for brake replacement? For the front brake pads and resurfacing rotors they are asking about $490 at two dealers here in S. California. I went with the one that I have a relationship with and they had a $50 "coupon" but I want to see if this is "normal" Lexus dealer pricing.
Old 08-08-19, 12:44 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by V350
How much are you paying for brake replacement? For the front brake pads and resurfacing rotors they are asking about $490 at two dealers here in S. California. I went with the one that I have a relationship with and they had a $50 "coupon" but I want to see if this is "normal" Lexus dealer pricing.
Lexus dealer told me $150 to turn the rotors, not sure how much for the whole job. All the job requires is to take off the wheels (5 nuts), take off the calipers (2 bolts), remove and turn the rotors, swap the pads, then re-assemble. You could essentially do it yourself, if you can take your rotors down to a place that will turn them for you.
Old 08-08-19, 01:00 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I imagine the Honda E is better fit for European roads where all the cars are small. We don't get a lot of the smaller cars from Europe and Japan because they market for them is pretty small here. Our "small" cars are Civics and Corollas which are pretty big these days. I bet Honda will try to release a CRV type of electric car before bringing the Honda E here. Americans are still in love with the crossovers The Tesla Y will outsell all of Tesla's other products combined.
Agree if anything we'll get an e-crossover first... i wouldn't mind a electric version of the UX F Sport.. damn.. i'd be all over that. or even just a damn plug in. lexus refuses to do plug ins. i don't know why..
Old 08-09-19, 10:27 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Lexus dealer told me $150 to turn the rotors, not sure how much for the whole job. All the job requires is to take off the wheels (5 nuts), take off the calipers (2 bolts), remove and turn the rotors, swap the pads, then re-assemble. You could essentially do it yourself, if you can take your rotors down to a place that will turn them for you.
Don't forget that the caliper may need some cleaning of the old brake material/dust...and of course pushing the 4 pistons back, which everyone may not figure out right away, or have a tool to do it.
Old 08-13-19, 12:07 PM
stillsbydr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Inverter Help

Hi! This is my first post on here, new member. I have a 3IS and am in love with it. I did install an iPhone mirroring kit from BeatSonic. Mainly wanted this because I do both Lyft/Uber on my downtime.

To be specific I have a 2017 IS200t w/o navigation.

BeatSonic sells the mirroring kit for both iPhone and Android. There is also kits that are sold for 3IS’s that come with factory navigation and kits for 3IS’s w/o navigation.

This is is the link for w/o navigation.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if02aep2.html

Reason I’m letting you know is because I ordered the wrong part ‘: D

The link for the 3IS w/ navigation is here.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html

The videos for the installs are also provided on both links.

Now that I know that I can mirror from an HDMI I came to realize that I can mirror my PS4 and play Gran Turismo Sport.

I reopened my center console and rerouted the HDMI w/ the HDMI to lighting to be accessed more easily so I can switch from my phone to PS4.

For power I got a power inverter eater 400W’s and connected it to the 12v plug. I tested it and it worked.
I later came to realize that the connection from the 12v only does 180v for short periods of time so when I tried to turn my PS4 on again it would only power and shut off immediately because it wasn’t getting enough power.

So now I am trying to figure out how to route my inverter from the trunk and connecting the positive and negative cables to the car battery.

I’m not pro electronics guy but if you know how to do this then please give your insight.

I don’t know if the video attachments uploaded. I did try like three times so if it shows up multiple times please disregard.

Heres the DB link to view the videos of the quality of the product and successful install.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kxz5js0rc...AR2GQdQka?dl=0

Please and and thank you!
Pedro D.
Austin, Texas

As everyone has different levels of car/3IS knowledge, I thought this may be helpful where people such as new and old owners alike can ask casual questions about their 3IS, maintenance, operation, service, etc. without feeling like they're asking dumb questions. Anything at all! There are no dumb questions (within reason of course).

Anyone with knowledge of course is welcome to help answer peoples questions as all of us don't know all the answers. We all have to learn somehow. Just make sure it's solid information. =)

So how about it, any very basic/simple or "dumb" 3IS questions you've always wondered about? Such as what's this light for? What's this button do? What happens when you ____?

Last edited by stillsbydr; 08-13-19 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 10-04-19, 01:15 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

When you pop your trunk, does it fully open on it's own or does it just un-latch and sit there with you having to manually push it up?
Old 10-04-19, 02:17 AM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to manually lift it. That's how it's designed unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
pngo (10-04-19)
Old 10-04-19, 07:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

You have to lift the trunk yourself. I like it that way. The trunk popping up reminds me of a rental ford taurus from the 90s. Sometimes it can be popped with inadvertent press of the key fob and it's embarassing for it to fly up.
Old 10-04-19, 09:14 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

You have to lift the trunk yourself. I like it that way. The trunk popping up reminds me of a rental ford taurus from the 90s. Sometimes it can be popped with inadvertent press of the key fob and it's embarassing for it to fly up.
When it lifts up upon unlocking, it actually is helpful many times. I've noticed if I go to a grocery store and carrying bags back that on my 3 series since it lifts up completely it actually makes it easier to put things away. What I do miss is the cargo net from my IS, man that thing was extremely helpful. My 3 does not have one sadly.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!