IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 08:28 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
probably one of the dumber questions is it bad to let the car auto downshift when coming to a stop when in manual mode or should be downshifting myself
Do you have the 8-speed tranny? When I let the car auto downshift in manual, I experience a jerk/lurch coming down to 3rd. I always downshift myself now to avoid this
Old 10-07-19, 08:35 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Do you have the 8-speed tranny? When I let the car auto downshift in manual, I experience a jerk/lurch coming down to 3rd. I always downshift myself now to avoid this
When I manually downshift, I have the same lurch, unless I'm really going for it. So basically the opposite of what you just said? Lol. I have the 6-speed though.

But yeah I'd echo E46CT, just do whatever you feel more comfortable with. The car is programmed to not damage its own transmission - the most you'll do by shifting yourself if put more wear on the engine (which is not too much of a concern if everything is up to temp).
Old 10-07-19, 09:07 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
When I manually downshift, I have the same lurch, unless I'm really going for it. So basically the opposite of what you just said? Lol. I have the 6-speed though.

But yeah I'd echo E46CT, just do whatever you feel more comfortable with. The car is programmed to not damage its own transmission - the most you'll do by shifting yourself if put more wear on the engine (which is not too much of a concern if everything is up to temp).
Oh yeah I do notice if I try to downshift myself at ~2200 rpm or lower, then I’ll get the same lurch. I’ve never owned a true manual so I’m not sure if this lurch is by design lol
Old 10-07-19, 09:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Oh yeah I do notice if I try to downshift myself at ~2200 rpm or lower, then I’ll get the same lurch. I’ve never owned a true manual so I’m not sure if this lurch is by design lol
I've driven other cars with manual modes on their auto transmissions, and not experienced anything like that. I think it's a quirk of these cars for whatever reason.
Old 10-07-19, 10:32 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
probably one of the dumber questions is it bad to let the car auto downshift when coming to a stop when in manual mode or should be downshifting myself
The car definitely does it on its own, almost every car with a manual mode will downshift by itself when slowing down. Upshifting on the other hand, usually doesn't happen by itself, but I've never actually tried to see if my car's computer would detect I was trying to blow my engine and shift for me lol.
Old 10-07-19, 01:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
The car definitely does it on its own, almost every car with a manual mode will downshift by itself when slowing down. Upshifting on the other hand, usually doesn't happen by itself, but I've never actually tried to see if my car's computer would detect I was trying to blow my engine and shift for me lol.
i've tried. i've tried tricking the computer. as aggressive and as often as i could, as fast as i could, during all scenarios, WOT, braking etc, multiple quick upshifts, downshifts, down/up shifts, up/down shifts. you can't defeat the computer. if it shouldn't happen, software locks you out. if it should happen, the computer will make it happen. no combination of anything you can muster up as far as shifting/not shifting etc can harm your car. same for all cars, really.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (10-31-19)
Old 10-07-19, 02:45 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
i've tried. i've tried tricking the computer. as aggressive and as often as i could, as fast as i could, during all scenarios, WOT, braking etc, multiple quick upshifts, downshifts, down/up shifts, up/down shifts. you can't defeat the computer. if it shouldn't happen, software locks you out. if it should happen, the computer will make it happen. no combination of anything you can muster up as far as shifting/not shifting etc can harm your car. same for all cars, really.
Not a true manual transmission car lol.
Old 10-10-19, 11:05 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
There was a point in production during 2014 that the IS was made able to bounce of the limiter, and as I understand not shift up while in manual mode. Production before that (late '14, Sep or Oct I think) the IS would upshift once it reached the limit. The car will also rev higher if in sport compared to normal mode.
Old 10-12-19, 08:03 PM
Chicago350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gotten color shifting headlights “demon eyes” on your 3rd gen IS? Got pictures? Videos?
Old 10-17-19, 11:35 AM
HieroGLFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody has a problem when refueling their car where the gas pump shuts off prior to the tank being full? I still have to test out other gas stations, but so far it happened to me on multiple pumps at a Costco Gas station (brand new pumps). When the nozzle is resting on the fuel filler, where the top of the nozzle touches the top of the fuel filler, the pump stops. But, when I hold on to the pump and maker sure the nozzle is pointing down, the pump doesn't stop until the tank is full.
Old 10-17-19, 11:45 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HieroGLFX
Anybody has a problem when refueling their car where the gas pump shuts off prior to the tank being full? I still have to test out other gas stations, but so far it happened to me on multiple pumps at a Costco Gas station (brand new pumps). When the nozzle is resting on the fuel filler, where the top of the nozzle touches the top of the fuel filler, the pump stops. But, when I hold on to the pump and maker sure the nozzle is pointing down, the pump doesn't stop until the tank is full.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-not-full.html
HieroGLFX (10-17-19)
Old 10-17-19, 11:46 AM
mvppadilla
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default yup

There's a thread here about this issue: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-sport-2.html

Personally, I've had issues with Costco and Chevron stations. I regularly pump at Shell and no issues there.
HieroGLFX (10-17-19)
Old 10-17-19, 01:31 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Been a lot talked about that, looks like you got some links.

In short,
Costco pumps (and pumps in general) are part to blame. Repeat offender for me too at Costco.
Attempting to top off your fuel after auto shuts off at full tank can cause this to happen too. Overflows into a cannister, etc.
Old 10-31-19, 07:25 PM
Cubanlegnd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First post, new here, hi ya'll. Looking into the 3IS and 2IS 350's and doing comparisons & research... so what's the option or package or trim where you get that awesome LFA inspired moving RPM cluster on the is350? and is it present on any model prior to 2014?

and is there a thread comparing the differences between the 2IS & 3IS gen 350's or IS generational differences in general?
also is there a thread for AWD vs RWD is350 details like 0-60, top speeds per gear for each, etc? trying ti figure out which i should look for.
Old 10-31-19, 11:15 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

How do I know if I have rain sensing wipers on my 16 IS 200 F Sport, short of turning a hose on the windshield? I totaled my MB CLA a few weeks ago and they were standard on it.
I know they're not standard on this car.
Also, I rescued all my stuff from my CLA, including my cargo tray. It fits beautifully in the back of the IS trunk. Is there any reason to use the cargo
net that came with my IS? I don't have anything rolling around in the trunk. It seems to be in the way at this point. Maybe I'm missing something great about it.
I downloaded the Lexus Enform App Suite, as someone on this thread said you can load destinations from it onto Navigation, which sounds quite useful. It did an update.
I'm hoping it improves its performance, as it's rated poorly in the iPhone App Store. Anyone use this thing, and if so, for what?
How many posts are needed to do a signature on the bottom of my posts?
Thanks a lot and there will be more dumb questions coming, I'm sure.

Last edited by Jazzrock; 10-31-19 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!