IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 04:40 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubanlegnd
First post, new here, hi ya'll. Looking into the 3IS and 2IS 350's and doing comparisons & research... so what's the option or package or trim where you get that awesome LFA inspired moving RPM cluster on the is350? and is it present on any model prior to 2014?

and is there a thread comparing the differences between the 2IS & 3IS gen 350's or IS generational differences in general?
also is there a thread for AWD vs RWD is350 details like 0-60, top speeds per gear for each, etc? trying ti figure out which i should look for.
Welcome to the forum...here are some answers to start you off.

1. so what's the option or package or trim where you get that awesome LFA inspired moving RPM cluster on the is350? All 3IS sedans with the F Sport trim will have the LFA inspired gauges
2. is it present on any model prior to 2014? It is not
3. is there a thread comparing the differences between the 2IS & 3IS gen 350's or IS generational differences in general? I'm not sure if there is a dedicated thread, but you will find bits and pieces of information in various threads
4. also is there a thread for AWD vs RWD is350 details like 0-60, top speeds per gear for each, etc? trying ti figure out which i should look for. If you're living in Florida, no need for the AWD, just get the RWD
The following users liked this post:
Cubanlegnd (11-01-19)
Old 11-01-19, 05:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke

1. so what's the option or package or trim where you get that awesome LFA inspired moving RPM cluster on the is350? All 3IS sedans with the F Sport trim will have the LFA inspired gauges
3. is there a thread comparing the differences between the 2IS & 3IS gen 350's or IS generational differences in general? I'm not sure if there is a dedicated thread, but you will find bits and pieces of information in various threads
4. also is there a thread for AWD vs RWD is350 details like 0-60, top speeds per gear for each, etc? trying ti figure out which i should look for. If you're living in Florida, no need for the AWD, just get the RWD
@Cubanlegnd I agree with Sasnuke here. The RWD is the way to go in this car unless you really need AWD. Preferably, the F Sport RWD, so you get the F Sport seats and gauge cluster.

Welcome!
Cubanlegnd (11-01-19)
Old 11-01-19, 06:11 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
How do I know if I have rain sensing wipers on my 16 IS 200 F Sport, short of turning a hose on the windshield? I totaled my MB CLA a few weeks ago and they were standard on it.
I know they're not standard on this car.
Also, I rescued all my stuff from my CLA, including my cargo tray. It fits beautifully in the back of the IS trunk. Is there any reason to use the cargo
net that came with my IS? I don't have anything rolling around in the trunk. It seems to be in the way at this point. Maybe I'm missing something great about it.
I downloaded the Lexus Enform App Suite, as someone on this thread said you can load destinations from it onto Navigation, which sounds quite useful. It did an update.
I'm hoping it improves its performance, as it's rated poorly in the iPhone App Store. Anyone use this thing, and if so, for what?
How many posts are needed to do a signature on the bottom of my posts?
Thanks a lot and there will be more dumb questions coming, I'm sure.
1. How do I know if I have rain sensing wipers on my 16 IS 200 F Sport, short of turning a hose on the windshield? At the end of the wiper stalk it will have an "AUTO" button...that is for the rain sensing wipers.
2. Is there any reason to use the cargo net that came with my IS? I'm not a cargo net user, nor have I had the need...I chalk this one up to personal preference and need.
3. I downloaded the Lexus Enform App Suite...Anyone use this thing, and if so, for what? No comment...I live in Canada and we don't get it...at least not for older 3IS, and only recently on some models.
4. How many posts are needed to do a signature on the bottom of my posts? Good question...I can't remember the exact number, but you have a ways to go...at least 100 posts I wanna say
Jazzrock (11-01-19)
Old 11-02-19, 10:14 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Long story short, both torsion bars in my trunk were replaced to rectify the worst rattle I’ve ever heard in a modern car.

It used to be when I opened the trunk partially, it would fall closed. Now I can open it to any angle and it stays there unless I purposely open it fully or close it. The trunk isn’t difficult to push either direction, it just doesn’t fall closed any more.

Can anyone confirm which functionality is normal/expected with the IS? The new functionality doesn’t bother me, I’m just curious if the trunk was actually broken from the factory since I’ve had it since new.
Old 11-02-19, 11:29 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
Long story short, both torsion bars in my trunk were replaced to rectify the worst rattle I’ve ever heard in a modern car.

It used to be when I opened the trunk partially, it would fall closed. Now I can open it to any angle and it stays there unless I purposely open it fully or close it. The trunk isn’t difficult to push either direction, it just doesn’t fall closed any more.

Can anyone confirm which functionality is normal/expected with the IS? The new functionality doesn’t bother me, I’m just curious if the trunk was actually broken from the factory since I’ve had it since new.
My trunk lid stays in place at any angle I leave it. Seems to be the normal functionality for me.
Old 11-03-19, 04:15 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by m1919
My trunk lid stays in place at any angle I leave it. Seems to be the normal functionality for me.
Same here.
Old 11-03-19, 07:26 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by m1919
Originally Posted by kj07xk
Same here.
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like my trunk lid never functioned the way Lexus designed until this recent fix then.
erx4 (08-22-20)
Old 11-03-19, 02:49 PM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Engine air filter question...2016 IS300 F Sport owner, 2nd owner. Been doing some searches and reading up on the K&N/F Sport drop in filter. Still debating if I want to add the F Sport Intake...anyway. Regarding the filter...my current filter is a paper filter. So my question is, is the F Sport drop in strictly an aftermarket upgrade or was it factory included on F Sport models? Just wondering if some dingus pulled it out of my car and replaced it with a paper filter.

Also, other than the oiling factor, is there much/any difference between the K&N filter vs the F Sport drop in? I've always run K&N in my vehicles and would clean/recharge every oil change. Never had any MAF sensor or other issues, as I was always careful to apply a light coat of oil on the "outer" side of the filter.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-03-19, 02:54 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bgross88
Engine air filter question...2016 IS300 F Sport owner, 2nd owner. Been doing some searches and reading up on the K&N/F Sport drop in filter. Still debating if I want to add the F Sport Intake...anyway. Regarding the filter...my current filter is a paper filter. So my question is, is the F Sport drop in strictly an aftermarket upgrade or was it factory included on F Sport models? Just wondering if some dingus pulled it out of my car and replaced it with a paper filter.

Also, other than the oiling factor, is there much/any difference between the K&N filter vs the F Sport drop in? I've always run K&N in my vehicles and would clean/recharge every oil change. Never had any MAF sensor or other issues, as I was always careful to apply a light coat of oil on the "outer" side of the filter.

Thanks for the help!
  1. Is the F Sport drop in strictly an aftermarket upgrade? Yes...from Lexus
  2. Was it factory included on F Sport models? No
  3. Is there much/any difference between the K&N filter vs the F Sport drop in? Other than the oiling I'm sure the filtration rate is not the same...couldn't tell you exactly what each one is though.
I've always run K&N in my vehicles and would clean/recharge every oil change - HOLY CRAP...I don't think you need it clean it that often, unless it's getting retardly dirty at each oil change.
I clean mine once a year...if I remember...and even when I forgot and eventually remember, it's not that dirty.
Old 11-03-19, 03:04 PM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up

1. Is the F Sport drop in strictly an aftermarket upgrade? Yes...from Lexus
  2. Was it factory included on F Sport models? No
  3. Is there much/any difference between the K&N filter vs the F Sport drop in? Other than the oiling I'm sure the filtration rate is not the same...couldn't tell you exactly what each one is though.
I've always run K&N in my vehicles and would clean/recharge every oil change - HOLY CRAP...I don't think you need it clean it that often, unless it's getting retardly dirty at each oil change.
I clean mine once a year...if I remember...and even when I forgot and eventually remember, it's not that dirty

HA HA HA...yeah, it's my OCD! . Then again, I'd like to think it's a small part of the reason my 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R that my son is now driving, is still going strong with 265,000 miles on it.

I'll do a little digging on the filtration rates. I was more interested if there was a big difference between one or the other, and it sounds like there's not.

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 11-06-19, 10:13 PM
zeldon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all--guess this can be my forum intro post--just picked up a '18 IS350, love it so far!

What's everyone's latest recommended source for the VCI cable and a good source for a compatible version of the Techstream software? Running Win10Pro, but happy to VM if need be
Old 11-07-19, 09:31 AM
Cubanlegnd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for thw warm welcome, @Sasnuke ,
1 &2 . great to know about the F-sport 3IS's (2014 & later) being a requirement for the LFA inspired gauges.. sadly all those are out of my price range right now... I may wait a few years before buying one used.. as they have other features over the 2IS models, like the fold-down rear seats which I LOVE in mu Corolla.
3.Yeah info about thr differences in features betweeen the 2IS and 3IS are hard to find, i basically have to find a detailed and in-depth review usually published around the time of the car's release to see all the details so i can compare.. so far i know that 3IS's have fold-down rear seats and the LFA gauges which i prefer immensely.. I just wish they were more affordable like the 2IS's are, the 2IS are totally within my price range even a 350.
4. Yeah the RWD sounds like the way to go, there's an added diff to maintain for the AWD, less miles per gallon, more weight, although i wish i had the 6-speed trans as i heard its got better gearing for dig pulls? But one major reason I'll go with the RWD is the increased support for mods over teh AWD, many axel-backs and even full-exhausts do'nt support the AWD model sometimes.

Originally Posted by arentz07
@Cubanlegnd I agree with Sasnuke here. The RWD is the way to go in this car unless you really need AWD. Preferably, the F Sport RWD, so you get the F Sport seats and gauge cluster.

Welcome!
Thanks @arentz07
Oh the F-Sport 3IS has better seats? Oh i need to see a comparison of these, is it just the fabric that is changed, the colors and pattern, or also the shape, or added customization too?
Old 11-07-19, 09:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubanlegnd
Thanks @arentz07
Oh the F-Sport 3IS has better seats? Oh i need to see a comparison of these, is it just the fabric that is changed, the colors and pattern, or also the shape, or added customization too?
It's the shape of the seats themselves that's improved. You still get NuLuxe (synthetic leather) upholstery, which, if I am being honest, is softer than a lot of real leather I've experienced in cars. But the seats in the F Sport are both comfortable but also well-bolstered. The only complaint I have about them is that the bottom cushion could have been slightly longer for my long legs, but even on longer drives I am still pretty comfortable.
Cubanlegnd (11-07-19)
Old 11-07-19, 09:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

yeah one thing i feel the Germans always do better is the bottom seat cushions. they're always long and extendable. all my Lexuses so far have short/small cushions. My old BMWs from the 90s had long comfortable extending cushions. makes a huge difference
Old 11-07-19, 04:04 PM
Cubanlegnd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's the shape of the seats themselves that's improved. You still get NuLuxe (synthetic leather) upholstery, which, if I am being honest, is softer than a lot of real leather I've experienced in cars. But the seats in the F Sport are both comfortable but also well-bolstered. The only complaint I have about them is that the bottom cushion could have been slightly longer for my long legs, but even on longer drives I am still pretty comfortable.
interesting... thanks for the answer, I'm 6'2 so longer bottom cushions would be nice..

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!