IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 08:34 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I believe 2017 is when they changed the front setup on the RWD model.
2014-2016 should all be the same.
Thanks. Looking at a set of coilovers from function and form but they do not have a set supposedly for the 2016 200t but they do for the 350 I had been under the impression that most of the components as far as brakes and suspension were interchangeable between the IS models.
Old 12-24-19, 10:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthLex
Thanks. Looking at a set of coilovers from function and form but they do not have a set supposedly for the 2016 200t but they do for the 350 I had been under the impression that most of the components as far as brakes and suspension were interchangeable between the IS models.
The components are. The IS200t RWD brakes are the same as the 350 RWD brakes.
There is an easy way to tell if you have the new or old style suspension in the front.
To put it into context just using the 350 and 200t...The 2014-2016 350 RWD has metal front lower control arms that are black. In that setup to front strut has the rubber bushing in the bottom of the strut.
In 2017 when they changed the front suspension, the front lower control arms were made of aluminum, so they are silver in appearance. Also, the bushing in the bottom of the strut was eliminated and put in the control arm.
Just turn you front wheels to full lock and stick you head and a flashlight behind the wheel, and have a look at the control arm. If it's black, you have the old setup, if it's silver (aluminum) colored, you have the new setup.
When you look for coilovers, just make sure it fits what you have.
The following users liked this post:
DarthLex (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 11:01 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I own a 2019 IS350 AWD F Sport with Navigation. Man I have to say the navigation system on this brand new car sucks! No apple play and navigation is outdated. Is there anyway you can update the software for navigation system to be better? I'm trying to keep the OEM system if possible.
Old 12-26-19, 11:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyenerr
I own a 2019 IS350 AWD F Sport with Navigation. Man I have to say the navigation system on this brand new car sucks! No apple play and navigation is outdated. Is there anyway you can update the software for navigation system to be better? I'm trying to keep the OEM system if possible.
Short answer: no. You would have to install an aftermarket head unit that gives you CarPlay.

As for the in-car system, here's my take. Disclaimer: I have a 2016, so its nav interface will be older. However, I am quite sure the software is the same or similar.

The nav system is great, but only once I've actually entered the destination. Entering the destination is the part that stinks. Therefore, I highly recommend using the Destination Search app that you integrate using Enform App Suite. If you use this, you can use your voice to dictate a search term, and then your phone is used to search for the destination. For me, this actually makes the system usable. Or, the presets (including "Go Home") make it super easy to just click and go. So, if you have somewhere you are going to navigate often, it might be a good idea to pre-load those destinations into the presets.

note: To use Destination Search, you have to say "Launch Destination Search" using a voice command.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
chicatemi (10-07-20), Nguyenerr (12-26-19)
Old 12-26-19, 05:13 PM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Short answer: no. You would have to install an aftermarket head unit that gives you CarPlay.

As for the in-car system, here's my take. Disclaimer: I have a 2016, so its nav interface will be older. However, I am quite sure the software is the same or similar.

The nav system is great, but only once I've actually entered the destination. Entering the destination is the part that stinks. Therefore, I highly recommend using the Destination Search app that you integrate using Enform App Suite. If you use this, you can use your voice to dictate a search term, and then your phone is used to search for the destination. For me, this actually makes the system usable. Or, the presets (including "Go Home") make it super easy to just click and go. So, if you have somewhere you are going to navigate often, it might be a good idea to pre-load those destinations into the presets.

note: To use Destination Search, you have to say "Launch Destination Search" using a voice command.
Thanks for the info. I've downloaded the app but haven't really used it. I'll give it a shot to see how I like it.
Old 12-27-19, 10:09 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

The components are. The IS200t RWD brakes are the same as the 350 RWD brakes.
There is an easy way to tell if you have the new or old style suspension in the front.
To put it into context just using the 350 and 200t...The 2014-2016 350 RWD has metal front lower control arms that are black. In that setup to front strut has the rubber bushing in the bottom of the strut.
In 2017 when they changed the front suspension, the front lower control arms were made of aluminum, so they are silver in appearance. Also, the bushing in the bottom of the strut was eliminated and put in the control arm.
Just turn you front wheels to full lock and stick you head and a flashlight behind the wheel, and have a look at the control arm. If it's black, you have the old setup, if it's silver (aluminum) colored, you have the new setup.
When you look for coilovers, just make sure it fits what you have.

so from what you are saying and from my attached image, I have the newer set up?

Old 12-27-19, 10:17 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

so from what you are saying and from my attached image, I have the newer set up?
Can't see the control arm from the photo, so can't tell which setup you have.
The steering knuckle, on the left, is aluminum on all the 3IS, and the struts are all black on all the 3IS.
If you can take another photo from the same position, but aim the camera about 6 inches downward, that will capture the lower control arm and the bottom of the strut...then you can tell.
Old 12-28-19, 10:38 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Can't see the control arm from the photo, so can't tell which setup you have.
The steering knuckle, on the left, is aluminum on all the 3IS, and the struts are all black on all the 3IS.
If you can take another photo from the same position, but aim the camera about 6 inches downward, that will capture the lower control arm and the bottom of the strut...then you can tell.

Don’t know what I was thinking . You did say lower control arm. Here is that picture. It is black not aluminum colored.
Old 12-28-19, 03:47 PM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Don’t know what I was thinking . You did say lower control arm. Here is that picture. It is black not aluminum colored.
Not sure what this picture is for but I'm going to assume this is about the rubber bushing on the IS models. If this is the case you need to look at the front control arms not the rear.

FYI there is no new setup. I own a 2019 IS350 AWD and i verified that I too have the rubber bushing.

Old 12-28-19, 10:47 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyenerr
Not sure what this picture is for but I'm going to assume this is about the rubber bushing on the IS models. If this is the case you need to look at the front control arms not the rear.

FYI there is no new setup. I own a 2019 IS350 AWD and i verified that I too have the rubber bushing.
Read the previous posts and you'll see what they are talking about. They are looking at the lower control arm to see if it's the new setup (aluminum) or the previous setup.
Old 12-29-19, 05:50 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a way to permanently turn off the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to have it always default to normal cruise control?
Old 12-29-19, 06:03 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gladius
Is there a way to permanently turn off the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to have it always default to normal cruise control?
Honestly it wasn’t until recently I found out how to use the cruise control on the 3IS with no radar by holding down the cruise control activation button which turns on cruise control with no radar. I hardly ever use cruise control so that’s why I never really looked into it. To my knowledge there is no way to PERMANENTLY disable the dynamic cruise control (the radar portion). You’ll just have to disable it every time you use it.
Old 12-29-19, 06:05 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Honestly it wasn’t until recently I found out how to use the cruise control on the 3IS with no radar by holding down the cruise control activation button which turns on cruise control with no radar. I hardly ever use cruise control so that’s why I never really looked into it. To my knowledge there is no way to PERMANENTLY disable the dynamic cruise control (the radar portion). You’ll just have to disable it every time you use it.
Uggh...that sucks. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 12-29-19, 06:55 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gladius
Uggh...that sucks. Thanks for the reply though.
If you really think about it, it’s not that much more work though. Just instead of pressing it when you’re going to use it just hold real quick maybe costs you like an extra 3 seconds max. I know it’s slightly annoying but Toyota/Lexus just makes the call on how they think their customers should use these things best haha.
Old 12-29-19, 08:49 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

You have the old setup, so any coilovers that fit 2014-2016 RWD will work just fine.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!