IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20 | 10:58 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Isn't that just putting in the latest SD card? Updating the system software itself is pretty quick.
SD card only contains map data. The unit contains firmware and software application so it's a separate update.
Old 01-10-20 | 11:09 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s3v3n
SD card only contains map data. The unit contains firmware and software application so it's a separate update.
If that's just the downloadable file for the infotainment system, it only takes maybe 10 minutes to update so hope the dealer wasn't actually charging 2.5 hours to do it.

Also, still surprised that nobody has figured out how to update the maps without having to buy a new card. They "bind" to the unit somehow, but anything like that should be hackable. Mine is dated 2013 so it's what came with the car, but I just use my phone's Googlemaps anyway because it integrates traffic.
Old 01-10-20 | 11:16 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

If that's just the downloadable file for the infotainment system, it only takes maybe 10 minutes to update so hope the dealer wasn't actually charging 2.5 hours to do it.

Also, still surprised that nobody has figured out how to update the maps without having to buy a new card. They "bind" to the unit somehow, but anything like that should be hackable. Mine is dated 2013 so it's what came with the car, but I just use my phone's Googlemaps anyway because it integrates traffic.
Not really worth the trip and the wait to be honest. Just like I mentioned, so far the maps on my car is on par with google maps so i'm no hurry to update it. With all the mods that I did to the car, I'm now in a position where I don't even want to have someone else drive it.
Old 01-10-20 | 11:34 AM
arentz07

Isn't that just putting in the latest SD card? Updating the system software itself is pretty quick.
No. They had to do some kind of software update, but I don't know the details.

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
When did you do this and will they charge for it if out of warranty? I imagine so.
I did it at my dealer, and they charged nothing for it. No idea on warranty - I suspect it's not a warranty issue.

They didn't charge me at all.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20 | 01:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
That's correct...the micro SD card only holds Map data...the unit software is updated via the USB port.
Mind you it doesn't take 2.5 hours, but between getting the vehicle into the shop, doing the update, washing the vehicle, and then returning it to the customer, 2.5 hours can pass in the blink of an eye.
The actual software update of the unit only takes a a handful of minutes.
Jazzrock (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20 | 01:52 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gladius
If I were to have my 2018 IS 300 factory radio replaced (the basic one with the crappy Scout GPS Link navigation), can it be swapped out with the one that has enform & factory navigation?
go with something like this

https://4x4shop.ca/
Old 01-10-20 | 08:49 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

what do you do with your gas cap while refueling? let it dangle?
Old 01-10-20 | 10:28 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
what do you do with your gas cap while refueling? let it dangle?
No. There’s a place for it on the fuel door. Look for a circular cut-out/post on the top of the hinge part. The cap fits on top of it (took me awhile to figure that out too).
Old 01-11-20 | 06:51 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LouisV
go with something like this

https://4x4shop.ca/
Seems from another thread, that unit is full of bugs and quirks. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 01-13-20 | 06:31 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Just ordered the F-sport air filter element. Should I disconnect the battery after installing to help the computer relearn the new air flow or let it ride and adjust as I drive?

Thanks
Old 01-13-20 | 06:46 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgross88
Just ordered the F-sport air filter element. Should I disconnect the battery after installing to help the computer relearn the new air flow or let it ride and adjust as I drive?

Thanks
There is another filter element located on the airbox cover that needs to be removed to ensure the best airflow. Also clean your mass airflow sensor while you're in there.
bgross88 (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20 | 09:49 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Seems from another thread, that unit is full of bugs and quirks. Thanks but no thanks.
If you get it from 4x4 Shop they worked out pretty much every bug and quirk. If you get it directly from Ali Express then it might be a little more complicated (they are the same hardware for the most part, but the software support is what matters). I've been running the unit from 4x4Shop for about a year and a half and I couldn't be happier, massive upgrade over stock tiny screen and I can run Apple CarPlay flawlessly which is all that mattered to me lol. BUT to each their own.
Old 01-13-20 | 09:57 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flash5
If you get it from 4x4 Shop they worked out pretty much every bug and quirk. If you get it directly from Ali Express then it might be a little more complicated (they are the same hardware for the most part, but the software support is what matters). I've been running the unit from 4x4Shop for about a year and a half and I couldn't be happier, massive upgrade over stock tiny screen and I can run Apple CarPlay flawlessly which is all that mattered to me lol. BUT to each their own.
Apple CarPlay would be my #1 “need”. I would have to research the unit more. Then find a shop to install it. Did they ever get the units of measurements figured out for U.S. standards?
Old 01-13-20 | 11:36 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Apple CarPlay would be my #1 “need”. I would have to research the unit more. Then find a shop to install it. Did they ever get the units of measurements figured out for U.S. standards?
That they did not, but to me it didn’t end up mattering since I’m in Germany for 3 years lol. Also, metric is better to me since I use the metric system in my work field.
Old 01-13-20 | 12:19 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flash5
That they did not, but to me it didn’t end up mattering since I’m in Germany for 3 years lol. Also, metric is better to me since I use the metric system in my work field.
Not to sound like a ungrateful DB, but that there alone would make me pass up on it. I'm just **** like that I guess and it would bug the crap out of me....lol

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!