IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 02:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Here's a thread for your battery question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

hth
Old 07-09-18, 03:02 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hammo842
I'll follow back up on my question about the battery draining problem on the 2014s. Was this an issue that occurred across the board or just to a select few? Was it resolved? As the owner of a 2014, I am wanting to know what to look out for.
It seems like it was a select few. I've had a '14 since November of '13 and never had a single issue with the battery drain. I just replaced my original battery in February because I could tell it was starting to get sluggish on some starts.
Old 07-09-18, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey guys,

I have brake pad question.

I have a 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport. It is CDM if it matters.

I know the AWD 350s have different front rotors than their RWD counterparts. But are the pads different too?

From what I am reading, Lexus offers two different front brake pads, more aggressive bite higher dust pad and a lower dust pad that is blue.

I am sitting on a set of OEM blues to install. I got it from a dealer and provided them with a VIN. Did I get the right pad?

I am.wondering if AWD IS350 F Sports get the regular low friction blue pads and like the base model and only RWD F sport models get the high friction pads.
Old 07-09-18, 07:46 PM
Intermediate

Also... how much does a sunroof weigh?

2014 IS350 AWD is a stripped down model aside from the F Sport package. No sunroof, no navigation or anything else .
Old 07-09-18, 08:13 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
Hey guys,

I know the AWD 350s have different front rotors than their RWD counterparts. But are the pads different too?

From what I am reading, Lexus offers two different front brake pads, more aggressive bite higher dust pad and a lower dust pad that is blue.

I am sitting on a set of OEM blues to install. I got it from a dealer and provided them with a VIN. Did I get the right pad?

I am.wondering if AWD IS350 F Sports get the regular low friction blue pads and like the base model and only RWD F sport models get the high friction pads.
The pads are the same fitment. F Sport got the dusty pads, the non F sport got the other ones. From a fitment perspective, they both physically with fit the 200t, 300, and 350 front calipers.
Old 07-10-18, 07:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 387
Also... how much does a sunroof weigh?

2014 IS350 AWD is a stripped down model aside from the F Sport package. No sunroof, no navigation or anything else .
Hard to say for your specific car, but I know in the past on a BMW 3 series, people have weighed the whole assembly at about 40 lbs. So possibly around there.

Don't forget when you lose the sunroof you also typically gain a reinforcing rib where the sunroof went and some steel panel around where the sunroof would sit. So you probably wouldn't get the full 40 lbs. I'm guessing your car is still around 3800 lbs being AWD still.

curious what a 3is headliner looks with no sunroof. can you take a pic. did you get it on purpose without sunroof?
Old 07-10-18, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Hard to say for your specific car, but I know in the past on a BMW 3 series, people have weighed the whole assembly at about 40 lbs. So possibly around there.

Don't forget when you lose the sunroof you also typically gain a reinforcing rib where the sunroof went and some steel panel around where the sunroof would sit. So you probably wouldn't get the full 40 lbs. I'm guessing your car is still around 3800 lbs being AWD still.

curious what a 3is headliner looks with no sunroof. can you take a pic. did you get it on purpose without sunroof?
I'll grab a pic tomorrow. It's black. And when it rains, there is so much pitter patter.

My 2014 IS350 AWD came with the F Sport Series 1 package. Just the F Sport specific upgrades. No backup camera either. Being CDM, it does come with a heated windsheild and headlight squiters though.

Premium package was a lot less money but those cars here came with the mesh 18s staggered, back up camera and a sunroof.

I got my car off lease. My cousin was the original leasee so I had no choice....
Old 07-10-18, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Another question.

My car has been lowered since I got it for about 25k kms. It is pretty low, but not dumped. Maybe RSR SD low or lower. It has 83k kms on it now.

Should I have any problems with axles in the near future? Can anyone who had a 2IS chime in? Ripped boots, balljoints, axle cups? New rear endlinks are already on the list.

Old 07-10-18, 10:11 PM
Clarjoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha performance dampers

Is there anyway I can see these dampers without removing the front bumper? What's the lifespan of these dampers?
Old 07-10-18, 11:43 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

To the person who asked about lowering problems... you might have issues with the bushings because most installers don't loosen and re-torque bushings at static ride height. you'd need 1) The knowledge 2) the care 3) ramps or an alignment rack so the car can be at rest.

When I lowered my car i made sure to loosen and retorque the control arm inner bolts as to remove preload on the bushings. A arms too. lexus instructs to do this when lowering as well.

As far as damper... my understanding from looking at parts on ebay is that the damper is under the engine area. not behind the bumper.
Old 07-11-18, 10:07 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,271 Posts

You keep saying "Adding" toe in but don't give an absolute #. You can add add add and still be negative. This is a precision topic so precision must be used.

I never said toe out doesn't cause tire wear. Any non-neutral position can (in any direction)

I've ran my BMWs with -2 to -2.5 camber and .10 toe in the past. Replaced Michelin Pilot Super Sports every 20k.

Our cars have a unique problem though. Normal sporty car tire wear coupled with extra dynamic wear. I am saying if you want to mitigate this extra dynamic (inner wear), adding toe in for a net total negative toe (or positive) isn't going to help. Last thing you want to do is turn the tire when it's trying to go straight. Friction is the enemy here.

Onto other topics now.
I did provide specific values several times in previous posts. But its specific to my vehicle, my driving style, and the load I carry. That said it may work for many!

Putting our opinions/experience aside (hard to do given that fact that I've aligned thousands of vehicles; cars, trucks, performance vehicles, motorhomes, trailers, ATVs, race cars, etc)....

Allow others to inquire about the best alignment for their needs and vehicle usage. Zero toe may sound ideal but is NOT ideal for all vehicles.

Bottom line is the user needs to pay attention to wear on new and used tires. Very small changes in pressure and toe can yield more miles from tires. This may require adjustments to pressure and toe along the way.

Old 07-11-18, 10:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 387
Hey guys,

You can always pull a pad to find out. Or do you get a lot of brake dust? If so it's probably high friction. If not a lot, and a more brownish dust, then probably low friction. I think cars equipped with summer tires got high friction and those with all seasons got low friction (would make sense).

Also if you have more than 15,000 miles on your current pads, they're probably not the high friction ones since they tend not to last that long =)
Old 07-11-18, 12:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

You can always pull a pad to find out. Or do you get a lot of brake dust? If so it's probably high friction. If not a lot, and a more brownish dust, then probably low friction. I think cars equipped with summer tires got high friction and those with all seasons got low friction (would make sense).
I believe the F Sport trim includes the high-friction pads regardless of drivetrain or tires. I know I have those pads on mine - I've had all the associated quirks, too, such as squeaking in cold weather and tons of brake dust.
Old 07-11-18, 01:02 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah even for canadian models? I can't imagine coupling high friction pad with grandma tires. i remember my dealer telling me that some ISs got the all seasons and some got summer. Hard to tell since at least you can look at the tires. OP, what color is the brake pads in the back? that could be a clue since you can see them clearly.
Old 07-11-18, 01:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Yeah even for canadian models? I can't imagine coupling high friction pad with grandma tires. i remember my dealer telling me that some ISs got the all seasons and some got summer. Hard to tell since at least you can look at the tires. OP, what color is the brake pads in the back? that could be a clue since you can see them clearly.
Yeah, I am having a hard time finding that information for Canada. I know in the US at least, all IS F Sport models come stock with the high-friction pads, or so I have been led to believe. My 2016 IS 300 AWD F Sport does, anyway... and it has the all-seasons.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!