IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 04:37 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Farizzl3
https://www.carid.com/carbon-creatio...pn-112999.html

Had a random question and wasn't sure where to ask. How difficult an install is this on my IS 350 f sport? Does it accommodate quad tip exhausts that fit 2017+ IS models?
The bumper would have to be removed for a proper install.
The only limitation on exhaust fitment on the 2014-2016 vs the 2017+ is the shape of the diffuser opening.
Physically any catback exhaust made for a 3IS will bolt to any 3IS...the only interference would be with the diffuser.
Since you are changing the diffuser, you shouldn't have an issue. If the exhaust isn't fitting perfectly centered in the diffuser, an exhaust shop can adjust it for you.
The following users liked this post:
Farizzl3 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 05:34 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

https://www.carid.com/carbon-creatio...pn-112999.html

Had a random question and wasn't sure where to ask. How difficult an install is this on my IS 350 f sport? Does it accommodate quad tip exhausts that fit 2017+ IS models?
The install itself is not so bad, and I considered getting it until I heard reports of fitment issues. Direct bolt-up would be great but I wasn't prepared to potentially have to wrangle it around to fit correctly.
Farizzl3 (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 05:41 AM
Farizzl3
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
The install itself is not so bad, and I considered getting it until I heard reports of fitment issues. Direct bolt-up would be great but I wasn't prepared to potentially have to wrangle it around to fit correctly.
I appreciate the input, I'm a novice and I'll stick to straight bolt ons for now. I also don't want to change too much while my car is under CPO.

PS: I also have an atomic silver IS and have been following your build thread for inspiration!
AtomicAWD (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 06:31 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I appreciate the input, I'm a novice and I'll stick to straight bolt ons for now. I also don't want to change too much while my car is under CPO.

PS: I also have an atomic silver IS and have been following your build thread for inspiration!
Hey thanks, hope it's been helpful!
Farizzl3 (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 10:08 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

When someone says italian tune-up? Is this also the same as revving your engine to redline in park/neutral? Can someone please elaborate?
Old 01-29-20, 10:14 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s3v3n
When someone says italian tune-up? Is this also the same as revving your engine to redline in park/neutral? Can someone please elaborate?
Wikipedia:
Italian tuneup is a slang automotive term for attempting to restore engine performance by driving a car at high engine speed (RPM) and load.
The term originated from Italian mechanics in the 1950s using this practice to burn off carbon deposits from the spark plugs of sports cars.
However, modern fuel injection and ignition systems have rendered Italian tuneups obsolete.
The practice is sometimes used prior to emissions testing, particularly for diesel engines.

I wouldn't agree with it being obsolete, carbon deposits still exist, so any way of reasonably removing them is still useful.
For the most part the definition above is accurate...I would put more emphasis on high load rather than high speed.

Revving a vehicle to red line in Park/Neutral only does one thing...shorten the life of your engine.
Jazzrock (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 10:31 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Wikipedia:
Italian tuneup is a slang automotive term for attempting to restore engine performance by driving a car at high engine speed (RPM) and load.
The term originated from Italian mechanics in the 1950s using this practice to burn off carbon deposits from the spark plugs of sports cars.
However, modern fuel injection and ignition systems have rendered Italian tuneups obsolete.
The practice is sometimes used prior to emissions testing, particularly for diesel engines.

I wouldn't agree with it being obsolete, carbon deposits still exist, so any way of reasonably removing them is still useful.
For the most part the definition above is accurate...I would put more emphasis on high load rather than high speed.

Revving a vehicle to red line in Park/Neutral only does one thing...shorten the life of your engine.
Can you elaborate on their differences? What is missing when revving to redline vs redlining it in a highway besides all the parts are moving?
Old 01-29-20, 10:41 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Can you elaborate on their differences? What is missing when revving to redline vs redlining it in a highway besides all the parts are moving?
couldn't imagine a difference here except your getting more air into the intake so maybe faster revs. 100% useless either way.

Never heard this before. This has been what's missing from my vehicle life....good ol' Itslian tune up lol.

I've had some older high mileage cars i guess I drove high rpms hard before the risky smog inspections here in strict California. Maybe the Italian tuneup is 98% useless.
s3v3n (01-30-20)
Old 01-29-20, 10:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

First it would be challenging to maintain red line at highway speed as presumably you would be in top gear (6 or 8 depending on AWD or RWD) and going about 3 times the speed limit.
Even if you mainly shifted it to try and maintain red line in any gear, the ECU would just upshift anyways.
That is why I put the emphasis on load rather than speed...with high load will inevitably come high speed, but not necessarily the reverse.
When you rev an engine in Park/Neutral there is no load on the engine...so all that is occurring is the parts spinning at a high rate of speed for no reason.
Since the vehicle is stationary there is no forced air coming through the intake as when it is moving, and the catalytic converter will never reach optimum temps to burn off any deposits that are trapped within it.
If you've ever seen a printout from a dyno, no car ever makes max power at red line...in fact, most cars will tend to start to lose power and torque before red line.
While engines are built to be durable, they are not meant to be spun for a consistently long time at maximum rpm...that's when they tend to grenade.
s3v3n (01-30-20)
Old 01-29-20, 10:59 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
First it would be challenging to maintain red line at highway speed as presumably you would be in top gear (6 or 8 depending on AWD or RWD) and going about 3 times the speed limit.
Even if you mainly shifted it to try and maintain red line in any gear, the ECU would just upshift anyways.
That is why I put the emphasis on load rather than speed...with high load will inevitably come high speed, but not necessarily the reverse.
When you rev an engine in Park/Neutral there is no load on the engine...so all that is occurring is the parts spinning at a high rate of speed for no reason.
Since the vehicle is stationary there is no forced air coming through the intake as when it is moving, and the catalytic converter will never reach optimum temps to burn off any deposits that are trapped within it.
If you've ever seen a printout from a dyno, no car ever makes max power at red line...in fact, most cars will tend to start to lose power and torque before red line.
While engines are built to be durable, they are not meant to be spun for a consistently long time at maximum rpm...that's when they tend to grenade.
Just trying to figure out if both of them has the same effects (release carbon buildup or cleans up the engine) in terms of mechanical perspective, but I get it now - magic is word is the engine "load" which makes the difference.

Btw, I'm talking "myth" here.

Old 01-29-20, 11:49 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

OP is asking what an Italian tune-up is. In layman's terms, the closest thing you can do legally to an Italian tune-up is to go wide-open throttle, allowing the car to rev to redline, through first and second gear, while accelerating on an on-ramp to a highway or something of that nature.

The reason it's different from revving in neutral is that in neutral, there's nothing stopping the engine from rotating other than its own inertia, meaning there's no notable heat buildup. You need to heat the engine to have the "Italian tune-up" work. By putting the engine under load, it's going to generate a lot more heat and remove deposits. Or, at least that is the theory. You could think of this in a similar way to how actually driving your car warms the car faster than letting it sit in park with the engine running. You're burning more fuel, which generates more heat, while the car is actually accelerating.

Revving in neutral, however, is asking the engine to do very little, and it will remain cold. It's also not moving your car at all - so you could argue it does nothing other than make sound. Revving in neutral is not good for your engine in any way.
s3v3n (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 01:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Italian tune up is just a funny way of saying driving your car hard, since I am guessing italians love to drive spiritedly.

The theory is a car that works hard keeps its internal parts hotter and free(er) of carbon build up.

Engineering explained channel put this to the test and more or less its correct, but it's not quite what people make it out to be,in terms of positive benefits for your car. Basically carbon still builds either way and for there to be a meaningful difference, you'd have to get your car extremely hot, hotter than most cooling systems would allow. And at that point, you're just creating add'l wear and tear that defeats the entire purpose of an italian tune up.

Moral of the story is just drive your car normally, often, and don't be afraid to "open her up" every once in a while.

Changing your oil and filters on time will yield much better results.
Jazzrock (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 04:38 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok, I'll play dumb here as much as it pains me to say it. Where do you access the connectors for the o2 sensors wiring. I am thinking about installing a set of mid pipes I have laying around and would rather not twist the wires on them and risk damaging a sensor.
Old 02-20-20, 06:04 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone know if Duplicolor makes a matching equivalent for NEBULA GRAY PEARL? If so, do you know the number? I looked online and and have seen 1H9(not Duplicolor) a few places, but would like to confirm.

Thanks to this forum I found the matching one to repair the small scratches on my wheels. Now, I'm looking to fix a few stone chips on my hood from the winter.
Old 02-20-20, 06:13 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
Ok, I'll play dumb here as much as it pains me to say it. Where do you access the connectors for the o2 sensors wiring. I am thinking about installing a set of mid pipes I have laying around and would rather not twist the wires on them and risk damaging a sensor.
The connectors are under the carpet on either side of the tranny tunnel inside the car. They are not terribly easy to access, so it may be more work than it's worth.
I know what you are saying about twisting the wires to get the sensors out, but in fact they will be just fine.
The sensors only have a few threads on them anyways, so you don't need to twist the sensor wires too extreme.
Also between the wires and loom it's more than durable to survive a removal/install.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!