IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 12:25 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With the excessive inner tire wears known on the IS, has anyone had any experiences with tire warranties? I have the tire and wheel protection but I know that doesn’t cover wear and tear...
Old 02-20-20, 12:40 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomzoom1
With the excessive inner tire wears known on the IS, has anyone had any experiences with tire warranties? I have the tire and wheel protection but I know that doesn’t cover wear and tear...
The tire protection only cover certain thread wear, I know for a fact that tirerack only replaces a tire with 8/32 or up. I have a tire and wheel replacement with Toyota and have gotten replacements from them. The major downside is they will only replace the bad tire with the corresponding OEM tire. So let say, I have a Michelin set now and one of them got punctured, it will be replaced with the unreliable OEM Bridgestone.
Old 02-20-20, 12:45 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
The tire protection only cover certain thread wear, I know for a fact that tirerack only replaces a tire with 8/32 or up. I have a tire and wheel replacement with Toyota and have gotten replacements from them. The major downside is they will only replace the bad tire with the corresponding OEM tire. So let say, I have a Michelin set now and one of them got punctured, it will be replaced with the unreliable OEM Bridgestone.
Well that’s news to me because all this time I thought the Tire and Wheel Protection did not cover any tire wears at all...here I was thinking I’m going to have pay for new tires every time the inner tire wears out
Old 02-20-20, 01:03 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Well that’s news to me because all this time I thought the Tire and Wheel Protection did not cover any tire wears at all...here I was thinking I’m going to have pay for new tires every time the inner tire wears out
I didn't mention anything about tire wear warranty so I don't think they will cover a tire with 4/32 thread left, if for example, I hit a nail and punctured it. If you hit a pothole, blew your tires out and dented the wheels, then absolutely they will cover and replace it.
Old 02-20-20, 01:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I have only gotten replacements due to tire bubbles and nails. However, I even got an entire wheel replaced when a pothole caused me to bend it.

That said, I have mostly used Costco's tire warranty, since my local Costco is a lot closer to me than my dealer is, lol. They will cover replacement, but it's prorated on your remaining tread depth.

Again, this has nothing to do with normal wear. It's only if you need a replacement due to some issue with your current tire.
Old 03-02-20, 06:01 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

Here's a fine dumb question. Is it possible to use my phone for Bluetooth GPS directions and play any other media at the same time, as in CDs or
Flash Drive from USB? I go to Media to get to Bluetooth, and then it starts playing music from my phone, of course. I can use Google Maps, but music
is played from my phone when directions are not being given over the speakers. I have no problem making or receiving phone calls. I use
Navigation on occasion, but as you well know, it's not so easy. I mostly use it for returning home as I only have to click on the entry for Home without entering
an address or doing it with voice command. Voice rarely understands what I am saying. Thanks a lot!
My car is now due for the 40,000 mile service which means oil and filter change and spark plugs, plus check brakes. I will change the cabin air filter myself.
I've had the car since the end of October and love it! 2016 IS 200t.
Old 03-02-20, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

My car is a little on the low side and I ripped up the splash shield that connects between the front bumper and subframe in 6" deep snow, probably when backing up in an unplowed parking spot. It drags when I hit dips now and when I enter the garage at my condo.

Can someone please provide a link to the parts diagram so I can figure out what needs to be replaced? I can't seem to find it on Lexus parts websites. I should be able to jack the car up and replace it without removing the bumper, right?
The following users liked this post:
Jshakil (03-03-20)
Old 03-02-20, 07:44 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
Here's a fine dumb question. Is it possible to use my phone for Bluetooth GPS directions and play any other media at the same time, as in CDs or
Flash Drive from USB? I go to Media to get to Bluetooth, and then it starts playing music from my phone, of course. I can use Google Maps, but music
is played from my phone when directions are not being given over the speakers. I have no problem making or receiving phone calls. I use
Navigation on occasion, but as you well know, it's not so easy. I mostly use it for returning home as I only have to click on the entry for Home without entering
an address or doing it with voice command. Voice rarely understands what I am saying. Thanks a lot!
My car is now due for the 40,000 mile service which means oil and filter change and spark plugs, plus check brakes. I will change the cabin air filter myself.
I've had the car since the end of October and love it! 2016 IS 200t.
Go to Google Maps navigation settings in the app, and turn on "Play voice over Bluetooth" and "Play as Bluetooth phone call". That should have Google Maps voice function as a phone call, which would play over your other media e.g. radio.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 08:55 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Go to Google Maps navigation settings in the app, and turn on "Play voice over Bluetooth" and "Play as Bluetooth phone call". That should have Google Maps voice function as a phone call, which would play over your other media e.g. radio.
Thanks so much. Play voice over Bluetooth was already on. So if I have the other media I mentioned playing and then turn on Google Maps, will it automatically
play over the sound system with these settings?
Old 03-02-20, 09:10 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
Thanks so much. Play voice over Bluetooth was already on. So if I have the other media I mentioned playing and then turn on Google Maps, will it automatically
play over the sound system with these settings?
It should if “Play as Bluetooth phone call” is on. It will mute whatever media you have playing while directions are being said
The following 2 users liked this post by pngo:
arentz07 (03-03-20), Jazzrock (03-02-20)
Old 03-03-20, 08:15 AM
Jshakil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
My car is a little on the low side and I ripped up the splash shield that connects between the front bumper and subframe in 6" deep snow, probably when backing up in an unplowed parking spot. It drags when I hit dips now and when I enter the garage at my condo.

Can someone please provide a link to the parts diagram so I can figure out what needs to be replaced? I can't seem to find it on Lexus parts websites. I should be able to jack the car up and replace it without removing the bumper, right?
Also looking for this
Old 03-03-20, 09:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by 387

Originally Posted by Jshakil
Also looking for this
Try this link: https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2014...2430-5102.html
You can do it with floor jack and jack stands without removing the bumper...safety first.
Old 03-06-20, 08:27 AM
Knoxes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a 2014 IS350. Is that really a DVD player? Could Mrs K and I have been binging season 4 of Scrubs all the way back from FL?
Old 03-06-20, 11:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Knoxes
Just bought a 2014 IS350. Is that really a DVD player? Could Mrs K and I have been binging season 4 of Scrubs all the way back from FL?
It's a CD player. Still a relic, so point taken.
Old 03-07-20, 07:18 AM
Sid03SVT
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Going to be taking my 3is350 fsport on a family vacation; what is the biggest cooler you all have been able to get into the trunk?

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!