IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 02:02 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah this was mentioned in another thread, too. I don't think I've ever seen my tires go above 41 or 42 even with 37 PSI cold. Must be really hot!
Late last year moved from CA to FL. You guys must be familiar with Florida temperatures? Last week we're in the 90s. Today 80s which is COOL. lol
Old 04-21-20, 06:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

okay, this for all of you audiophiles out there: i'm stuck at home with nothing to do (besides work from home) and thought that it would be a great time to work on my car (or have someone else work on my car) to meet my desires, and boy have i been doing just that. anyhow, is there a way to just swap out the sub for more bass without making the car sound like a 15 year old went to best buy and purchased the cheapest sub he could buy and made the car sound horrible whilst also not replacing the amp?

i do have the mark levinson system, but even still, i feel like the car is missing something when it comes to audio. i do notice slight improvements when i physically plug in my iphone as opposed to using bluetooth compressed audio, but not by much.

if the answer is yes, it is possible to not make the car sound worse and not also have to add an amp, then which sub would you recommend? audiophiles to the rescue?

edit: i should add that my goal is NOT to make the car loud, but rather to improve the overall quality of the audio.

Last edited by davyjordi; 04-21-20 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-21-20, 07:51 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

If you do a search in the threads, there are multiple audio threads for adding an amp and sub to get that desired extra bass. Multiple members on here have done it with great results. I believe @E46CT had made a thread on how to do it.
Old 04-21-20, 08:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

FWIW when I set the PSI to my CT200h tires to 40 PSI (for fuel economy) and if I drive extended highway with the sun facing one side of the car, the tires get hot enough to trip the pressure sensor creating a false alarm. Pulled over thinking I was low, and turned out both tires on the passenger side (facing the sun) were at 46 psi. Combination of the sun and the friction (heat) from highway driving was just enough to trip the warning. So now I run around 38 to avoid the chime. nitrogen might help out with this.
Old 04-21-20, 08:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
If you do a search in the threads, there are multiple audio threads for adding an amp and sub to get that desired extra bass. Multiple members on here have done it with great results. I believe @E46CT had made a thread on how to do it.
looked up @E46CT 's install and i don't want something that has to be controlled via a switch mounted anywhere in the cabin of the car. i want something plug and play, if possible. i suppose i'll continue to search. or i might just take it to an audio shop when this is all over and the world reopens.
Old 05-21-20, 07:40 PM
Lilbongi
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ‘17 hood on ‘15 f sport

Hey all, I found a forged carbon hood I like. The site claims it’s for 17+. Will this mount without issues on my car?
Old 05-22-20, 05:04 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilbongi
Hey all, I found a forged carbon hood I like. The site claims it’s for 17+. Will this mount without issues on my car?
All the 3IS hoods are the same...2014 to 2020.
Old 05-22-20, 09:25 PM
du3ce
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

theres a black button right above the ecu plug underneath the steering column that says reset what is that for?
Old 05-23-20, 05:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by du3ce
theres a black button right above the ecu plug underneath the steering column that says reset what is that for?
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)...it resets the threshold pressure in the TPMS ecu to what the current tire pressures are.
Typically you would use this after adjusting tire pressure (say at every oil change) or when replacing tires.
The threshold pressure is basically telling the ecu what the tires are set to right now...so if the tire pressure drops a pre-programmed amount below the threshold pressure, it will illuminate the TPMS light on your dash to warn you a tire is low.
To perform the reset you turn the ignition on, press and hold the reset button, then the tpms light on the dash will flash a few times and you're done. The owners manual has the instructions to reset the threshold pressure...I'm just going from memory.
Old 05-23-20, 11:46 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

My air vents blow out a bad smell (smells sour/moldy) after using the AC and turning it off. Is the AC system easy to check for mold? Not sure where to look
The following users liked this post:
chicatemi (10-07-20)
Old 05-23-20, 08:42 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
My air vents blow out a bad smell (smells sour/moldy) after using the AC and turning it off. Is the AC system easy to check for mold? Not sure where to look
I just used this product again today and have for years, never really researched it because I picked this up one day and it always did the trick.

Link to Autozone

It fixes the musty smell long after the nice scent of the product goes away. And it does smell great imo.

Now it would be a good idea to check the cannister and clean every once in a while, evap cannister maybe? Forgot what itd called right nowi havnt done it on the IS yet. But follow the instructions on a can of the stuff I linked and it will go through the system and fix the smell.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOMER350:
chicatemi (10-07-20), pngo (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 08:59 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
When was the last time you cleaned, or changed, your Cabin Air Filter?
Old 05-23-20, 10:07 PM
SpecNate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Wire NON ML

Hello all,
I am in the process of installing 2 12" subs w/ 1.2k amp
i know where the stock amp is at but i can't seem to find a specific remote wire running to it
Anyone know?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
2019 Lexus IS 300F
Old 05-24-20, 05:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
When was the last time you cleaned, or changed, your Cabin Air Filter?
This is a good question. However, even when the cabin filter was relatively new, my IS would occasionally get a funky smell during the summer months, especially if I left the air on recirculating mode all the time. If that's the issue, best to let the car do its own thing and automatically adjust the fresh/recirculating air with the automatic climate control. Though I will say, if you're already in there trying to fix the smell, replacing the cabin filter is easy enough to do at the same time.
Old 05-24-20, 09:50 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
This is a good question. However, even when the cabin filter was relatively new, my IS would occasionally get a funky smell during the summer months, especially if I left the air on recirculating mode all the time. If that's the issue, best to let the car do its own thing and automatically adjust the fresh/recirculating air with the automatic climate control. Though I will say, if you're already in there trying to fix the smell, replacing the cabin filter is easy enough to do at the same time.
that is a good question, want to keep that air filter clean too. Glad that was mentioned going into summer time to replace mine.

Any car AC will do this sometimes new filter or not. At least any ive had but I've only owed 3 makes of cars.

Another trick thing to prevent this. The last stretch before I get where I'm going I turn off the AC and continue to run the fans at full speed. If its not particularly hot outside I'll even turn on a little heat and open the windows and let the air dry out your internal ducts/vents.

The moisture from the AC running is what causes this smell so if you give in a few minutes of non-AC warmer air it'll help to dry the moisture and prevent the smell from coming back.

Anything over like 73F I run my AC so I use the thing pretty much all the time and these practices help to be rid of the musty smell.

The following users liked this post:
chicatemi (10-07-20)

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!