IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 03:38 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Still got the OEM Bridgetone tires on the rear and LEXUS rotated them!! That was after their recommendation. So wtf is going on? They also put on new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the front coz they're shredding lol
There’s literally no benefit. Probably wanted to make it seem like they were doing something for you lol.
Old 05-26-20, 04:30 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

When was the last time you cleaned, or changed, your Cabin Air Filter?
Below are both very helpful but the latter have a very nice smell.

https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargin...8oz/208870_0_0

https://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargin...ner/530806_0_0

The following users liked this post:
chicatemi (10-07-20)
Old 05-26-20, 04:53 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
There’s literally no benefit. Probably wanted to make it seem like they were doing something for you lol.
Hey now, what if I'm into daily clockwise donuts.
Old 05-26-20, 05:23 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Hey now, what if I'm into daily clockwise donuts.
If you’re doing donuts in your IS you’re wrong. Lol jk.
Old 05-26-20, 06:05 PM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I just used this product again today and have for years, never really researched it because I picked this up one day and it always did the trick.

Link to Autozone

It fixes the musty smell long after the nice scent of the product goes away. And it does smell great imo.

Now it would be a good idea to check the cannister and clean every once in a while, evap cannister maybe? Forgot what itd called right nowi havnt done it on the IS yet. But follow the instructions on a can of the stuff I linked and it will go through the system and fix the smell.
Yup.. still had to use it yesterday. Does it's job.
Old 05-26-20, 06:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Agree with outside re-circulation which is very important. But, what are you suggesting that "Auto" climate control does exactly? I've owned various Lexus for around 20 years, that Auto function has always been similar across models, and I always THOUGHT it's just a function of more quickly getting to the temperature that is set, and then after that monitoring & adjusting on its own.
Sometimes the Auto function in my IS would decide to change between fresh air and recirculating air on its own. Usually, it would go to recirculating if it was very hot outside, or automatically switch to fresh air if cold outside.

For staggered wheels, like on IS350 FSport, aren't you supposed to rotate between Driver's side & Passenger's?
Yeah I think most sporty-oriented tires are going to be directional, which means no rotation... You can, however, rotate even asymmetrical tires if the outside side is still outside.
Old 05-26-20, 07:48 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Sometimes the Auto function in my IS would decide to change between fresh air and recirculating air on its own. Usually, it would go to recirculating if it was very hot outside, or automatically switch to fresh air if cold outside.
Ya, are you sure that's more so not another/different indicator separate from the HVAC "Auto" function, reacting to emissions from other cars, outside foul air, carbon monoxide, etc? Forget right now the exact name of that thing / what it's called, but also think there's a separate button for it.

Last edited by LaZeR; 05-26-20 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 01:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Ya, are you sure that's more so not another/different indicator separate from the HVAC "Auto" function, reacting to emissions from other cars, outside foul air, carbon monoxide, etc? Forget right now the exact name of that thing / what it's called, but also think there's a separate button for it.
Well, mine clearly didn't work that way. It would let all manner of stinky air into the car if left on its own. Anyway, just saying, it seems like mine handled those smells the best if I just left it in auto mode.
Old 05-30-20, 05:31 PM
skyblueis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2017 IS200t

HI all!
New here so go easy on me,first time posting.
figured this would be a good place to post.
I just parted ways with my 09 is250 and now looking to get a 2017 is200t yes! I know its a 4cyl.
I have always loved the styling of the 3rd gens,i figured I get a certified used and save some$
Dumb Question I have is what's this cars maintainability aside from tires, brakes, and the usual.
any turbo issues? I just want to buy this sporty sedan and have peace of mind for years to come.

Thank you in advance for all your inputs
Old 05-31-20, 01:08 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skyblueis
HI all!
New here so go easy on me,first time posting.
figured this would be a good place to post.
I just parted ways with my 09 is250 and now looking to get a 2017 is200t yes! I know its a 4cyl.
I have always loved the styling of the 3rd gens,i figured I get a certified used and save some$
Dumb Question I have is what's this cars maintainability aside from tires, brakes, and the usual.
any turbo issues? I just want to buy this sporty sedan and have peace of mind for years to come.

Thank you in advance for all your inputs
I have yet to hear of any issues with the 4 banger turbo besides the turbo vacuum regulator valve going bad. The TSB for that issue so far seems to have rectified the issue for almost everyone on here. They modified the original TSB for this issue from just replacing the valve to also changing the hose assembly to a larger diameter one. I have also had 0 issues since having the TSB performed. One thing to note is that while turbo charged engines usually have a shorter life span than naturally aspirated, Lexus used the tiniest turbo ever and it’s not just direct injection it also has port injection so the longevity of this engine should be easily 200k miles give or take depending on how it’s maintained and how it’s driven. Other than that, the car is extremely solid. Take a look at the sticky for front inner tire wear though as that’s something else you should probably address if you do get a 3IS.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flash5:
arentz07 (05-31-20), Jazzrock (05-31-20), skyblueis (06-01-20)
Old 06-04-20, 06:09 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Default NEW Dumb/Stupid Question

OK time for a new stupid/dumb IS question - what was the first IS generation, or model year, to introduce staggered wheels? Thanks!

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-04-20 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 06:46 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

OK time for a new stupid/dumb IS question - what was the first IS generation to introduce staggered wheels? Thanks!
I asked this in a separate thread. I though the answer would be simple, but there was some debate. I may have stated it differently though,
when did the rear tires become 255?

Great question IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 07:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

OK time for a new stupid/dumb IS question - what was the first IS generation, or model year, to introduce staggered wheels? Thanks!
The 2nd-generation IS 250 and 350 RWD had staggered tires - and obviously so did the IS F.

However, if you go back to the original IS 300 Sport Cross (wagon), it also had staggered tires - 215/45R17 front and 225/45R17 rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Jazzrock (06-04-20), LaZeR (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 08:00 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I asked this in a separate thread. I though the answer would be simple, but there was some debate. I may have stated it differently though,
when did the rear tires become 255?

Great question IMHO.
So I'm not the most qualified to answer but most of the 1st gen IS were not staggered if I recall correctly....however they did offer it depending on trim I'm pretty sure. It wasnt "F-Sport" but they had a sport version.
But only real sporty cars had something like a 255 back then, the tires on the IS were much smaller like 215 front 225 rear setup. 7" or 7 ½". Have to look it up.

I know the 2IS (2006) IS350 came out with 255 rear staggered tire setup. In fact, I think the same specs on the 18" setup we have today on the 3IS.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOMER350:
Jazzrock (06-04-20), LaZeR (06-04-20)
Old 07-09-20, 03:49 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Question NEW Dumb Stupid Question

OK time to revive this thread with a NEW Dumb/Stupid question which trump would say is a real doozy...

Have you used usual/popular household products like Lysol, or Pledge, or disinfecting wipes to clean your IS350 and are they BAD or do harm to the dash, interior, seats, etc, or are they good, etc?

And, is Appliance Stainless Steel cleaner bad or good for OEM rims?

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!