IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 03:59 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

There are so many car-specific products,
I am not sure why you want to try these.

CL has a detailing forum I believe.

Most advice here is to use a damp microfiber cloth.

I use a cleaner occasionally and a protectant
couple times a year.

Do you have heavy dirt?

Old 07-09-20, 04:13 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
There are so many car-specific products, I am not sure why you want to try these. CL has a detailing forum I believe. Most advice here is to use a damp microfiber cloth. I use a cleaner occasionally and a protectant couple times a year. Do you have heavy dirt?
No, just want answers to those specific questions posted... I have all of those lying around the house and want to know if they're bad for the interior, or rims...
Old 07-09-20, 04:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I've been using Lysol disinfectant wipes on my car's interior cause it's been convenient and well I'd rather risk having discolored interior parts than being dead.

So far so good. And actually my steering wheel has never looked better since using lysol wipes on it. My steering wheel leather (same wheel as on the IS) is oil and dirt free and looks impressive. So i've been wiping my interior down quite a bit with it. Looks brand new.
The following users liked this post:
chicatemi (10-07-20)
Old 07-10-20, 07:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I had no issues using Chlorox disinfecting wipes with my IS's interior. I didn't use them on the leather, but on the seats and plastic panels they were fine. I also avoided using them on the infotainment screen and gauges obviously.

For wheels I always just used normal car wash soap or Quick Detailer spray (i.e. Rain-X or Meg's brand).
Old 07-10-20, 04:21 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
I had no issues using Chlorox disinfecting wipes with my IS's interior. I didn't use them on the leather, but on the seats and plastic panels they were fine. I also avoided using them on the infotainment screen and gauges obviously.
Why the latter? I mean the infotainment screen & gauges are just plastic...
Old 07-10-20, 04:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Why the latter? I mean the infotainment screen & gauges are just plastic...
The gauges and infotainment screen scratch pretty easily, so I'd just dust them.
Old 07-12-20, 06:56 AM
syed4gr
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy RR Racing Tune

I just installed the RR Racing tune on my IS-350 F-Sport and wanted to know what those of you with tune feel are best practices? I'm struggling to refrain from hitting the 7200 RPM redline and am constantly concerned that it's too high
Old 07-13-20, 08:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by syed4gr
I just installed the RR Racing tune on my IS-350 F-Sport and wanted to know what those of you with tune feel are best practices? I'm struggling to refrain from hitting the 7200 RPM redline and am constantly concerned that it's too high
I don't have the tune, but... my two cents. The engine is fairly oversquare and has no forced induction of any kind. The risk of damage is probably minimal. Having said that, if I had the tune, I'd probably keep my aggro driving stints to a short length. I know Lexus probably put the rev limiter where it is for a reason.

To give some perspective though, my GTI has a rev limit of 7200 RPM, from a longer-stroke, forced-induction engine... granted it has a forged crankshaft, but the 2GR has both a forged crankshaft AND connecting rods... This combined with the shorter stroke means, in theory, it'll take the revs just fine. Just don't abuse it.
Old 07-21-20, 01:06 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Question OEM tires Bridgestone Turanza ER33 Still On Car?

Hi, if you have the OEM tires Bridgestone Turanza ER33 still on your car - how many miles are you at - and how're they holding up? Thanks!!

Old 07-23-20, 09:07 AM
behlingout
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Square Set Up on 2018 F Sport

Hi guys. I'm new to CL but am quite enjoying reading all of the posts. I have a square set up on my car and am debating going staggered. Discount Tire wouldn't even mount the wheels and tires on my car for me, which made me think something was off but I went to Element Wheels, located here in AZ, and they said there wouldn't be any issues.

What do you guys think?

Also, since these were wheels from one of my older vehicles, I hadn't thought much about weight issues going from a V6 to my IS. Do you think I'm sacrificing too much with Savini BM 13 wheels? I may just get all new wheels or go back to stock rims but I wanted to ask this group first, as I can tell there are many much more informed people than myself. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!
Old 07-23-20, 10:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by behlingout
Hi guys. I'm new to CL but am quite enjoying reading all of the posts. I have a square set up on my car and am debating going staggered. Discount Tire wouldn't even mount the wheels and tires on my car for me, which made me think something was off but I went to Element Wheels, located here in AZ, and they said there wouldn't be any issues.

What do you guys think?

Also, since these were wheels from one of my older vehicles, I hadn't thought much about weight issues going from a V6 to my IS. Do you think I'm sacrificing too much with Savini BM 13 wheels? I may just get all new wheels or go back to stock rims but I wanted to ask this group first, as I can tell there are many much more informed people than myself. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!
Welcome to the forum @behlingout !

From your post I'm assuming you have the 4 cyl turbo motor IS.
19 inch is a popular upgrade for the wheels...and staggered is also popular whether it came that way or not.
I'll assume you don't have an F Sport as all F Sports come with the staggered 18's.

You may want to see if the Savini's will fit, i.e. width and offset. Do you know the specs for the wheels?
Old 07-23-20, 12:05 PM
behlingout
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply! I hope I’m replying to this correctly.

I do hav the 4 cyl turbo motor and I do have the F Sport model. The car obviously then did come with a staggered set up and since my wheels are 19 x 8.5, all the way around, Discount Tire wouldn’t touch them. However, they are on the car and I have no fitment issues. I got new tires when I put them on my IS in order for them to fit properly.

I had an IS300 F Sport as a loaner recently and it drove so much differently than my car. So I keep debating either getting new wheels (lighter, staggered) or going back to a stock setup.

I appreciate your thoughts.

This is my car, currently.

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum @behlingout !

From your post I'm assuming you have the 4 cyl turbo motor IS.
19 inch is a popular upgrade for the wheels...and staggered is also popular whether it came that way or not.
I'll assume you don't have an F Sport as all F Sports come with the staggered 18's.

You may want to see if the Savini's will fit, i.e. width and offset. Do you know the specs for the wheels?
Old 07-23-20, 12:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Stock squared setup (as long as its aggressive) is best for performance, so long as your suspension and alignment is tuned for it. Which I'm guessing it's not.

In your case then, I'd go stock staggered and call it a day.

Either is fine though as far as fitment. You won't have any problems there.
Old 07-23-20, 12:32 PM
behlingout
Driver School Candidate

What is an “aggressive setup”? Also, I’m willing and wanting to put some money into it to get the suspension and alignment right. I’m going to keep this car for quite some time and rather have some work done to it to make it mine than put the stock wheels back on.
Old 07-23-20, 12:59 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by behlingout
Thank you for your reply! I hope I’m replying to this correctly.

I do hav the 4 cyl turbo motor and I do have the F Sport model. The car obviously then did come with a staggered set up and since my wheels are 19 x 8.5, all the way around, Discount Tire wouldn’t touch them. However, they are on the car and I have no fitment issues. I got new tires when I put them on my IS in order for them to fit properly.

I had an IS300 F Sport as a loaner recently and it drove so much differently than my car. So I keep debating either getting new wheels (lighter, staggered) or going back to a stock setup.

I appreciate your thoughts.
I would imagine the loaner would have been a little smoother with the stock wheels...more sidewall.
I thought you were going to put the 19's on...didn't realize they were already on.
If they are 19x8.5...then likely the offset is +35 (or close to)...tire size could be anywhere from 225/35/19 to 255/30/19.

I guess maybe what you found different about the loaner might help make an informed decision about the next set of wheels.
Like if you found the loaner to rider smoother, and you like that, then going back to 18's would be a good idea. Maybe something wider you could put more tire on.
If it was the handling, then maybe staggered is best suited for you, and you could do 18 or 19 staggered...of the ride quality was ok between either vehicle.
There's tons of options.
The following users liked this post:
behlingout (07-23-20)

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!