IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 01:44 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugur
I hope the thread is still active. My question is is it okay to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery? Do I need to use OBD memory saver? If you’ve tried, did your idle messed up or caused any damage?
Some of your settings will get lost, though I'm not sure where the line is drawn. I know basically anything infotainment related could be wiped if you leave it disconnected for 30 minutes.
It shouldn't have any adverse effects on your engine performance.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 01:50 PM
Ugur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s a quick battery replacement video:
(at 1:33)

I really wonder if it’s so, why do they bother with attaching 12V power supply to battery cables?
Old 08-19-20, 01:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I really wonder if it’s so, why do they bother with attaching 12V power supply to battery cables?
Someone asked the question in the comments section of the video. The reply was (paraphrasing here...) just in case something in the ECU or other electronics of the vehicle needs to be reset, which is a process a driver may not be equipped to do at home. However, I've seen where many forum members here on CL have done this on their own with no issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
Jazzrock (08-19-20), Ugur (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 02:22 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Someone asked the question in the comments section of the video. The reply was (paraphrasing here...) just in case something in the ECU or other electronics of the vehicle needs to be reset, which is a process a driver may not be equipped to do at home. However, I've seen where many forum members here on CL have done this on their own with no issues.
Been doing it whenever I feel like it. All I need to redo is bluetooth connectivity.

One thing I found out about my new RC was after I reset the ECU (disconnect battery after 15 minutes), I had to reinstall the Enform update again, that I knew I already installed couple of days ago - first time it happened. Hopefully just a one-off.
The following 2 users liked this post by s3v3n:
arentz07 (08-19-20), Ugur (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 03:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

You can disconnect the Battery without issue. It's not a German car where everything needs to be calibrated.
You will need to reset the clock...but I think that's it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Jazzrock (08-19-20), Ugur (08-19-20)
Old 08-21-20, 05:56 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Does the 2016 200t F-Sport model include the boost-gauge and/or G-meter in the digital instrument cluster? Or was this introduced at a later model year?
Old 08-21-20, 06:04 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
Does the 2016 200t F-Sport model include the boost-gauge and/or G-meter in the digital instrument cluster? Or was this introduced at a later model year?
Pretty sure the 2016 200t F-Sport has the boost gauge.
pngo (08-26-20)
Old 08-27-20, 01:43 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
https://doubleclutch.ca/2016/04/11/2...s200t-f-sport/

This says it has the same boost gauge as from the NX.
pngo (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20, 04:53 PM
GNS
Intermediate

I was playing around with Sport S+ and I noticed that the IS (IS350 AWD F-Sport ) will downshift to 1st from a higher gear if you're going at or below a certain speed and you put the gas pedal right to the floor, as hard as you can. I was wondering what that cut off is on the speed, because I've sometimes stomped on the gas out of a turn and it stays in 2nd gear but the car should really have been in 1st.
Old 08-30-20, 06:33 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
I was playing around with Sport S+ and I noticed that the IS (IS350 AWD F-Sport ) will downshift to 1st from a higher gear if you're going at or below a certain speed and you put the gas pedal right to the floor, as hard as you can. I was wondering what that cut off is on the speed, because I've sometimes stomped on the gas out of a turn and it stays in 2nd gear but the car should really have been in 1st.
Am I missing something, or can you rephrase that? I get the automatic downshift ("downshift to 1st from a higher gear if you're going at or below a certain speed"), but if you step on the gas shouldn't it auto upshift again ("put the gas pedal right to the floor, as hard as you can")? Or... are you talkin bout paddle shifting?
Old 08-30-20, 07:57 PM
richwuhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb Question

Awesome thread btw! Here is my dumb question, I think it's also been answered in a different thread but I couldn't find it. For all my so-cal peoples, who is your go-to for all your lexus maintenance and upgrades needs besides the dealership?
Old 08-31-20, 06:18 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Am I missing something, or can you rephrase that? I get the automatic downshift ("downshift to 1st from a higher gear if you're going at or below a certain speed"), but if you step on the gas shouldn't it auto upshift again ("put the gas pedal right to the floor, as hard as you can")? Or... are you talkin bout paddle shifting?
No paddle shifting, just auto mode (Sport S+). What I'm talking about is the kickdown to a lower gear to get more torque out of the engine. In other words, kicking down to 1st from 2nd or 3rd gear (possibly 4th too?) as long as the car is below a certain speed threshold.

Here's the scenario:
- stop sign at an intersection, Sport S+
- start to make a right turn with very little throttle input
- speed is anywhere from 10 kmh to around 29, possibly 30 kmh (7 to 19 mph) and the car automatically upshifts to 2nd or 3rd by the time you complete the turn
- floor the gas pedal and it jumps straight to 1st and will maintain that gear to 6800

Before discovering this, I previously thought that it would never downshift to 1st (ie. in order to make the car feel as smooth as possible). I used to hit the left paddle to force it into D1, but this is unnecessary as long as I figure out the speed at which it will not downshift to 1st.

​​​​​​It's like the other kickdown I discovered, the one where you're going 85kmh / 53 mph or below and it can drop straight to 2nd gear for greater acceleration, but if you are going any faster it will take a bit of time to switch to 3rd gear instead.

​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 08-31-20, 10:19 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
No paddle shifting, just auto mode (Sport S+). What I'm talking about is the kickdown to a lower gear to get more torque out of the engine. In other words, kicking down to 1st from 2nd or 3rd gear (possibly 4th too?) as long as the car is below a certain speed threshold.

Here's the scenario:
- speed is anywhere from 10 kmh to around 29, possibly 30 kmh (7 to 19 mph) and the car automatically upshifts to 2nd or 3rd by the time you complete the turn
- floor the gas pedal and it jumps straight to 1st and will maintain that gear to 6800

Before discovering this, I previously thought that it would never downshift to 1st (ie. in order to make the car feel as smooth as possible). I used to hit the left paddle to force it into D1, but this is unnecessary as long as I figure out the speed at which it will not downshift to 1st.

​​​​​​It's like the other kickdown I discovered, the one where you're going 85kmh / 53 mph or below and it can drop straight to 2nd gear for greater acceleration, but if you are going any faster it will take a bit of time to switch to 3rd gear instead.
I imagine engine load will play a significant factor in the shift logic and will be dependent on speed as well.
Old 09-06-20, 01:27 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
You can find it in vehicle light settings. I think 60 seconds is the longest.
finally did this...it was through Nav Screen in Vehicle Customization settings i believe

2017+ may be longer but 2014 max is 30 seconds which is double and plenty of time from 15 seconds

thanks for the info guys
Old 09-06-20, 06:07 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GNS

Here's the scenario:

​​​​​​It's like the other kickdown I discovered, the one where you're going 85kmh / 53 mph or below and it can drop straight to 2nd gear for greater acceleration, but if you are going any faster it will take a bit of time to switch to 3rd gear instead.​​​​
​​​​​
So I think I figured it out. If I stomp on the gas pedal and put it all the way to the floor:
  • ~34 kmh (21 mph) or below: instantly downshifts to 1st and gives the best acceleration.
  • ~35 kmh or above: downshifts to or stays in 2nd gear.
  • ~84 kmh (52 mph) or below: instantly downshifts to 2nd and gives the best acceleration.
  • ~85 kmh or above: takes a half second to downshift to 3rd, then gives brisk acceleration, which is fine because you're going near highway speeds anyway.
This is for a 2019 IS350 AWD F-Sport, Canadian spec. For the second scenario (~35 kmh or above), this makes the car feel slow because 2nd gear doesn't come into its own until about 50 kmh (31 mph). It's like trying to get your bike going in a high gear from a slow roll, the gearing is not ideal.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!