IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 07:21 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINKLES
2020 IS 350 F sport.

Question: There's no memory settings buttons on the door. Is there a way to have memory settings for certain drivers? So when my wife drives, the seat adjusts to her, and vice versa to me?

Another question: What's the easiest way to switch between connected BT devices? Both my wife's and my phones are stored/connected to the car, but to change from one phone to the other, the only way I've seen to do this is to go a few layers deep into the menu settings and select it that way. Is there an easier way to toggle from one BT device to the next?
Question: There's no memory settings buttons on the door. Is there a way to have memory settings for certain drivers? So when my wife drives, the seat adjusts to her, and vice versa to me? No...you would need to have the Memory Seat option on the vehicle for it to do that.
Another question: What's the easiest way to switch between connected BT devices? Both my wife's and my phones are stored/connected to the car, but to change from one phone to the other, the only way I've seen to do this is to go a few layers deep into the menu settings and select it that way. Is there an easier way to toggle from one BT device to the next? No...you need to press Menu, then select Setup, and then Bluetooth. The vehicle will default to connecting to the last connected device that is currently in range. You can also set one device for Calls and the other for Bluetooth Audio simultaneously.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (06-18-21)
Old 06-18-21, 07:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINKLES
2020 IS 350 F sport.

Question: There's no memory settings buttons on the door. Is there a way to have memory settings for certain drivers? So when my wife drives, the seat adjusts to her, and vice versa to me?
I think the door is the only place I've seen memory seat controls in this car. If you don't have those buttons on the door, seat position memory is not equipped.

As for your Bluetooth question, I think you're right that there. I am looking through the Navigation and Multimedia System manual and don't see another way.
Old 06-18-21, 07:48 AM
SPRINKLES
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Good to know.

My dealer programmed the key fobs to auto start and I thought that was a cool little feature I wasn't expecting when we picked the car up. Figured the memory seats would also be something that's there, but not easily shown. Oh well, but nice to know so I won't keep looking for it.
Old 06-27-21, 10:36 PM
Ki3ren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I recently had the car serviced, it was for the 4 year (it's a 2017 IS200T) service which states the spark plugs should be changed. The mechanic took out the plugs to have a look (one pic below) and he said to not bother changing it.

Car has done 34,000 kms (about 21,000 miles). Do I need to change the plugs anyway or its good for awhile? Thanks
Old 06-27-21, 10:57 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ki3ren
Hi,
I recently had the car serviced, it was for the 4 year (it's a 2017 IS200T) service which states the spark plugs should be changed. The mechanic took out the plugs to have a look (one pic below) and he said to not bother changing it.

Car has done 34,000 kms (about 21,000 miles). Do I need to change the plugs anyway or its good for awhile? Thanks
My manual for my 16 200t said to change the plugs at 40,000 miles, which I did.
Old 06-28-21, 12:36 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ki3ren
Hi,

According to owner's manual, it should be done at 60,000 km.. from the looks of it, it's still good till then, but it would be better to take a look at all four plugs.
Jazzrock (06-28-21)
Old 06-28-21, 04:09 AM
Ki3ren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
According to owner's manual, it should be done at 60,000 km.. from the looks of it, it's still good till then, but it would be better to take a look at all four plugs.
Thanks for both the responses.

Had a look and they were all about the same. The mechanic was saying its distance not time based, so there's no point changing it till its 60,000kms just wondering if that's true. Heard with these engines it should still be changed based on time
Old 07-30-21, 12:15 AM
Deklan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Struggling to remove the rear axle to swap my diff. Wondering if anyone has any tips/instructions to get it out. I have a 2015 IS250
Old 07-30-21, 05:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Deklan
Struggling to remove the rear axle to swap my diff. Wondering if anyone has any tips/instructions to get it out. I have a 2015 IS250
From your post I'm guessing you're trying to get the driveshaft ends that are in the diff. out.
Here is the repair manual procedure on how to remove it:

Realistically you're not going to have the tool, but hopefully the pic gives you an idea of what they are trying to accomplish.
The driveshaft end is basically locked into the diff. by a snap ring that's at the end of the driveshaft.
To get the end out, the driveshaft needs a quick movement outward which will collapse the snap ring and allow the end to slide right out.
In the pic they are using a pulling motion, but you can also use a pushing motion.
If you have something like a pry bar with an angled end, you could hook the same lip the tool is grabbing in the pic and simply hammer the driveshaft out...you'd basically be positioned under the diff. at this point.
It would need a quick and forceful hit for the snap ring to collapse...gentle love taps ain't gonna do it.
When reinstalling the dirveshaft make sure the opening of the snap ring in facing down and it will go in easily, again with a little quick and forceful push inwards towards the diff...you should need any tools for that.
whoismiked (07-30-21)
Old 07-30-21, 05:22 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Another Dumb Moot Question

This might a dumb moot question belonging here but just curious... in Regular Driving Mode sometimes the green Eco Mode light comes on the left side of the dash - does this also happen for you?

This nevers happens in Sport (+) Mode.

Old 07-30-21, 05:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
This might a dumb moot question belonging here but just curious... in Regular Driving Mode sometimes the green Eco Mode light comes on the left side of the dash - does this also happen for you?

I also don't think the green like goes on when in manual mode. Haven't checked when in Sport + mode.

Old 07-30-21, 05:35 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR

It used to, until I turned this off.
Old 07-30-21, 05:46 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Eco light only turns on when:

* You're in automatic D mode. D1 - D6/D8 does not count.

* The drive selector is either Eco, Normal, or Customize with the powertrain set to Eco or Normal​​​
arentz07 (07-31-21)
Old 08-03-21, 06:28 AM
Arod41988
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone look at this and give me an idea on what could be causing this? That's the oil drain pan on the left. So far my oil level has been good and I haven't noticed any leaks coming from underneath. 2015 Lexus IS250 F sport

Old 08-03-21, 06:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Arod41988
Can someone look at this and give me an idea on what could be causing this? That's the oil drain pan on the left. So far my oil level has been good and I haven't noticed any leaks coming from underneath. 2015 Lexus IS250 F sport

I think there could be a lot of guesses on this one.

The area where the oil is at the bottom of the engine is also below where the oil filler is at the top of the engine.
So the first question is, is the oil coming from above? Which is beyond what the photo shows. It could be simply that someone spilled oil when filling after the last oil change...was the oil changed recently?

If we assume the the oil is only present in the pic and nowhere else, is it engine oil or diff oil? Since the front diff is right next to the oil pan.
Since the driveshaft goes through the pan, it could be engine oil leaking from that seal, or diff fluid leaking from the diff side that faces the pan.
Has the front diff fluid been replaced recently? Maybe it's the drain plug on the side of the diff. for the diff. fluid.
Oil has a tendency of weeping everywhere, so the leak is likely much smaller that it appears, hence why you haven't noticed any fluid missing.

I would suggest getting some engine shampoo or degreaser and spraying down the area followed with a power washer.
Might as well clean it all off and start fresh to see where it's actually coming from.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!