IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21 | 06:49 AM
Arod41988
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think there could be a lot of guesses on this one.

The area where the oil is at the bottom of the engine is also below where the oil filler is at the top of the engine.
So the first question is, is the oil coming from above? Which is beyond what the photo shows. It could be simply that someone spilled oil when filling after the last oil change...was the oil changed recently?

If we assume the the oil is only present in the pic and nowhere else, is it engine oil or diff oil? Since the front diff is right next to the oil pan.
Since the driveshaft goes through the pan, it could be engine oil leaking from that seal, or diff fluid leaking from the diff side that faces the pan.
Has the front diff fluid been replaced recently? Maybe it's the drain plug on the side of the diff. for the diff. fluid.
Oil has a tendency of weeping everywhere, so the leak is likely much smaller that it appears, hence why you haven't noticed any fluid missing.

I would suggest getting some engine shampoo or degreaser and spraying down the area followed with a power washer.
Might as well clean it all off and start fresh to see where it's actually coming from.
Yea, I took this photo during my last oil change about 1 week ago. I do my own oil changes and didn't spill any oil. I noticed the dark area during my previous oil change a few months ago but this time it seems more prominent.

I have never changed the differential oil but I was gonna male that my next project. Good idea and recommendation on the cleaning, I'm gonna try that.
Old 08-03-21 | 07:52 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arod41988
Can someone look at this and give me an idea on what could be causing this? That's the oil drain pan on the left. So far my oil level has been good and I haven't noticed any leaks coming from underneath. 2015 Lexus IS250 F sport

That's a lot of oil but it could just be a series of lousy oil changes - mechanic not caring just pouring the oil without using some funnel. Try tracing it from the top(oil cap area) and look if you see traces of excess oil. That looks like a drip from the top area. There are also oil traces on the body frame.

Old 08-03-21 | 08:58 AM
Arod41988
9th Gear

Originally Posted by s3v3n
That's a lot of oil but it could just be a series of lousy oil changes - mechanic not caring just pouring the oil without using some funnel. Try tracing it from the top(oil cap area) and look if you see traces of excess oil. That looks like a drip from the top area. There are also oil traces on the body frame.
Are you calling me a lousy mechanic?!

This is the funnel I've been using.

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-03-21 | 09:13 AM
RDix
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy AC drain location GS358 3rd generation

Does anybody know where the drain for AC is located so I can do a refresh kit to the evap box to eliminate mold smell?
Old 08-03-21 | 10:26 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arod41988
Are you calling me a lousy mechanic?!

This is the funnel I've been using.

​​​​​​ https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0791...b_b_asin_title
No and never I will call you that. Have you been doing the oil changes since mile 1? Main causes of engine oil leak are putting excessive oil or improper placement of oil filter (or worst - a coolant mixing with oil). Based on that picture, it looks like the leak has been there for a while. Have you tried checking the oil filter if it's installed properly? Have you tried looking for oil leak traces starting from the top of the engine? Have you been checking the engine oil dipstick level regularly or even at least every oil change?

Old 08-03-21 | 10:53 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Recently just reset my ECU and TCU by pulling the EFI and ETCS fuses for a couple of minutes. On the first cold start, the engine revved way below normal for my initial cold starts for a second or two before jumping up (<1000 rpm jumped to normal 2000 rpm).

Could this be an indication my throttle body is clogged up and the ECU needed to adjust a lot to correct this?
Old 08-04-21 | 01:37 PM
agm
Driver School Candidate

I think this qualifies as a dumb question... do the rear windows roll all the way down on the 2021+ IS models?
Old 08-04-21 | 02:00 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by agm
I think this qualifies as a dumb question... do the rear windows roll all the way down on the 2021+ IS models?
dumb answer: YES.
The following users liked this post:
agm (08-04-21)
Old 08-06-21 | 05:30 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pngo
Recently just reset my ECU and TCU by pulling the EFI and ETCS fuses for a couple of minutes. On the first cold start, the engine revved way below normal for my initial cold starts for a second or two before jumping up (<1000 rpm jumped to normal 2000 rpm).

Could this be an indication my throttle body is clogged up and the ECU needed to adjust a lot to correct this?
It might...be would be easy enough to just pull the intake tube off and check...wouldn't hurt to clean it at that point.
Usually every 2 years or 48,000kms is a good time frame to clean the throttle body as preventative maintenance.
Old 08-07-21 | 06:30 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pngo

I attached instructions on removing the throttle body...it's definitely not easy to access.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
200tTB.pdf (466.3 KB, 272 views)
Old 08-13-21 | 08:22 AM
ems67
Driver School Candidate

Default In Need of Assistance !! Springs or Coilovers for my IS?

I'm looking into which certain product I show use to lower my 2017 Lexus IS200t (Base Model).

I've been looking into RSR Springs (Down) which will lower my car 1.8in max. I was looking into the Super Downs but, unfortunately leaving my neighborhood it the road is somewhat like a hit and I plan on getting a front lip and it could possibly scrape. AND Going into my community, it will scrape. So super down is a no go.

Though I was also wondering if getting the RSR Down would be the best choice? I'm currently on 18s and I plan on getting 19s, I just don't want any rubbing or anything. Trying to prevent what may or may not happen.

Anyone selling coilovers compatible with my car? Or can anyone recommend any coilovers that would be good?

Would it be smarter to go with springs or coilovers?
Old 08-14-21 | 07:27 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ems67
I'm looking into which certain product I show use to lower my 2017 Lexus IS200t (Base Model).

I've been looking into RSR Springs (Down) which will lower my car 1.8in max. I was looking into the Super Downs but, unfortunately leaving my neighborhood it the road is somewhat like a hit and I plan on getting a front lip and it could possibly scrape. AND Going into my community, it will scrape. So super down is a no go.

Though I was also wondering if getting the RSR Down would be the best choice? I'm currently on 18s and I plan on getting 19s, I just don't want any rubbing or anything. Trying to prevent what may or may not happen.

Anyone selling coilovers compatible with my car? Or can anyone recommend any coilovers that would be good?

Would it be smarter to go with springs or coilovers?
The choice between springs and coilovers really come down to budget and intended use.

You will note from a pricing standpoint that coilovers are about 2-3 times more than springs...depending on the specific spring and coilover.
Also, if the vehicle is just going to be a daily driver that you would like to handle and look a little better, then you'll never get the true value out of the coilovers.
RSR is a reputable company and their springs are pretty popular with the 3IS crowd, so you can't go wrong there.
I would suggest if you wanted to go down to Superdown lowering heights, then I would switch to coilovers...reason being the ride quality is going to be significantly diminished with the Supedowns, so the adjustability of coilovers will bring back some of the comfortable ride the vehicle is know for.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (08-14-21)
Old 08-30-21 | 09:36 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Exclamation Dumb Stupid Possibly Moot Question

hi, this might be a dumb, stupid, possibly moot question, but i can't find any good info online...

If a tire gets flat down to the rim, & car is parked for 8+ months, is it OK just to pump back up & drive?

TIA
Old 08-30-21 | 09:59 AM
ronkelley
Racer

Originally Posted by LaZeR
hi, this might be a dumb, stupid, possibly moot question, but i can't find any good info online...

If a tire gets flat down to the rim, & car is parked for 8+ months, is it OK just to pump back up & drive?

TIA
--

Think about it. The tire has had a sharp crease (or two) in the sidewall in spots where it should be straight. Don't you imagine a sharp bend for a long time would deform the rubber and threads within? That would certainly make very weak points that could separate. If it went flat momentarily, then straightened out, it would probably be salvagable if no splits were visible, but several months? No.

--

Old 08-30-21 | 03:29 PM
XelaFyre
Rookie

I got one, anyone knows how to paint the rear trunk Lexus logo easily? I know you can tape around and plastidip, but can i remove the emblem, paint it with real paint so it doesnt come off, and then reapply? How do i remove the emblem AND without ruining it re-add it on the trunk? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!