IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 11:34 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Are ​​​​the ventilated seats in the 3IS/3.5IS linked to the fan speed and/or the AC setting? That is, if I run the ventilated seats without turning on the fan, they're pushing air but if I turn the fan on, will it make the airflow faster?

Also, if I turn the AC on and set it to a lower temperature (ie. LO) will that cause the air circulated in the ventilated seats to become cooler as well?
Old 10-11-21, 02:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
Are ​​​​the ventilated seats in the 3IS/3.5IS linked to the fan speed and/or the AC setting? That is, if I run the ventilated seats without turning on the fan, they're pushing air but if I turn the fan on, will it make the airflow faster?

Also, if I turn the AC on and set it to a lower temperature (ie. LO) will that cause the air circulated in the ventilated seats to become cooler as well?
Short answer - no. The ventilated seats do just that - they merely provide ventilation to the seat bottom and back. So, whatever air is in the car will be used. For this reason, I like to let the car cool down a bit before turning them on.

As for the fan speed, they seem to operate independently of the HVAC system.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
GNS (10-11-21), Jazzrock (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 02:23 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Short answer - no. The ventilated seats do just that - they merely provide ventilation to the seat bottom and back. So, whatever air is in the car will be used. For this reason, I like to let the car cool down a bit before turning them on.

As for the fan speed, they seem to operate independently of the HVAC system.
Thanks, I've been using the AC with ventilation seats most of the time anyway. Are the intakes on the lower back of the seats (ie in the rear passenger footwell)? If so, that would give me a reason to open the rear AC vents (as I have them completely shut, as in I turn them outwards until they click) in order to shoot cool air to the intakes for the seats.
Old 10-11-21, 02:29 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-seats-3.html
Old 10-11-21, 02:32 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS

If you want to increase the airflow to your ventilated seats, read this entire thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nted-duct.html
The following users liked this post:
GNS (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 03:29 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kj07xk
If you want to increase the airflow to your ventilated seats, read this entire thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nted-duct.html
I ordered it right away and will update this thread and the other one with my thoughts after I get it. Thank you for bringing my attention to this item.
Old 10-12-21, 03:12 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Here is a perhaps not so dumb question that I didn't see the need to make a thread for... Can a transmission oil cooler be fitted to both 6 speed and 8 speed transmissions? I saw a 2IS thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html) where a guy screwed some fittings into the two holes beneath the OEM heat exchanger. Apparently the oil cooler hose fittings for the 2008-2013 Sequoia and 2007-2019 Tundra will screw right into that transmission. Namely what I would like to know is if the heat exchanger holes are still threaded on the A760H and AA81E. I would assume they are as both are relatives to transmissions with threaded holes (I.E. the AA80E, and the A760e).
Old 10-12-21, 06:11 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question yet another dumb stupid question - Seeking Comments

Here's yet another dumb stupid question but can't find any answers online...

Going away for a few months, and a rear tire has sidewall leaking issues (< 0.5 lbs per day), so I jacked up the car at that one tire.

Leaving the car jacked up at one wheel for a few months is completely harmless right? TIA !!
Old 10-13-21, 04:58 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Here's yet another dumb stupid question but can't find any answers online...

Going away for a few months, and a rear tire has sidewall leaking issues (< 0.5 lbs per day), so I jacked up the car at that one tire.

Leaving the car jacked up at one wheel for a few months is completely harmless right? TIA !!
Depends where you're jacking it and how exactly it's going to be left.
Regardless the tire will be flat after a few months...it will probably be flat in a few weeks.
If you're worried about the tire going flat and the weight of the vehicle being on it, consider the car isn't going to be moving...it also sounds like you need a new tire anyways.
If you have a sidewall leak that bad then the tire is already compromised.
Old 10-13-21, 05:16 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yri
Here is a perhaps not so dumb question that I didn't see the need to make a thread for... Can a transmission oil cooler be fitted to both 6 speed and 8 speed transmissions? I saw a 2IS thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html) where a guy screwed some fittings into the two holes beneath the OEM heat exchanger. Apparently the oil cooler hose fittings for the 2008-2013 Sequoia and 2007-2019 Tundra will screw right into that transmission. Namely what I would like to know is if the heat exchanger holes are still threaded on the A760H and AA81E. I would assume they are as both are relatives to transmissions with threaded holes (I.E. the AA80E, and the A760e).
I don't recall seeing anyone mention doing this on a 3IS.
There was an entire thread exploring the possibility of installing a transmission cooler...it basically came down to one question, "Why?". Which there wasn't a legitimate answer for.
I guess you may want to consider the same question.
There is one member on here with a twin turbo IS350 RWD making almost 600rwhp, and he's running the stock transmission. Obviously he's not driving it like a little old lady.

The holes may be threaded, and for the time it takes to jack the car up and remove the 3 bolts holding the cooler on, you could find out quickly if they are and what size, thread pitch they are also.
Chances are if they are threaded it would be the same size as the 2IS holes since the trannys are in the same family as you mentioned.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
GNS (10-13-21), Yri (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 07:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Here is a question I wonder if someone knows?

Does anyone know what was done with the 3.5 V6 that changed the hp and tq ratings from the earlier years to the newer years rating from 306hp to 311hp. I know the engine code is different, but was it the intake, cams, exhaust? Anyone know exactly?
Old 10-13-21, 07:36 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I guess you may want to consider the same question.
There is one member on here with a twin turbo IS350 RWD making almost 600rwhp, and he's running the stock transmission. Obviously he's not driving it like a little old lady.
Any idea which kit this is, or is it a custom setup? I'm starting to think that I will have to do this after the warranty is up, in order to have the turbo AWD IS350 that Lexus won't make for me lol
Old 10-13-21, 07:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Here is a question I wonder if someone knows?

Does anyone know what was done with the 3.5 V6 that changed the hp and tq ratings from the earlier years to the newer years rating from 306hp to 311hp. I know the engine code is different, but was it the intake, cams, exhaust? Anyone know exactly?
I suspect it's partially to do with the changeover from VVT-i to VVT-iW on the intake cams. This increases the range of valve opening angles, which is mainly meant for improving fuel economy. However, the 3 lb-ft and 5 horsepower are insignificant gains, and in fact, I'd say the horsepower is mostly thanks to a small increase in rev limit. Other than an integrated catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold, allowing cooling of exhaust gases before the cat... I don't know of any other significant changes. Ultimately it's still a 2GR, just now it has some small efficiency improvements and part-time Atkinson cycle capability.
Old 10-14-21, 04:53 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GNS
Any idea which kit this is, or is it a custom setup? I'm starting to think that I will have to do this after the warranty is up, in order to have the turbo AWD IS350 that Lexus won't make for me lol
Most definitely all custom. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rbo-is350.html
The following users liked this post:
GNS (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 05:19 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
​​​​​​There goes my mini dream of twin turbocharging the IS350 without a literal bank attached to my wallet. That is an insane build!! At most I would rather go with the existing supercharger kit, as the IS350 just needs a little more low end torque.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!