IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21 | 07:04 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Fosterwv
Thanks for clarification

So I think I’ve figured it out lmao

IS300 RWD 4cyl turbo 8 speed
IS300 AWD 6cyl 6 speed
IS350 RWD AWD larger 6cyl 6 speed

Appreciate the help!
IS 350 RWD models have the 8 speed too. In fact, the only RWD cars that don't get the 8-speed are the 2014-2015 IS 250.
Old 12-25-21 | 05:56 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

When you change the battery, does the maintenance interval get reset?

Just curious because I always just took a picture of my mileage when I changed it before so I would know exactly when I did it. But last time I decided to just use the trip odometer. My battery was getting weak, so I swapped it out and my trip odometer reset to zero.
Old 12-25-21 | 08:01 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS

Just curious because I always just took a picture of my mileage when I changed it before so I would know exactly when I did it. But last time I decided to just use the trip odometer. My battery was getting weak, so I swapped it out and my trip odometer reset to zero.
When I had the battery replaced, the only thing I had to reset was the clock.
Old 12-25-21 | 08:19 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
When I had the battery replaced, the only thing I had to reset was the clock.
I have replaced mine before but never really noticed it having reset the trip odometer or maintanence before. But this time it did reset my trip odometer and I was using it to track my oil change. I reset the maintenance at the same time I changed the oil so just curious if that may still have the correct timing on it.

Its not really that big of a deal since I recently changed the oil and know I only have a 1,000 miles on it at best. Just a standard dumb question for this thread lol
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (12-25-21)
Old 12-25-21 | 08:21 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

I have replaced mine before but never really noticed it having reset the trip odometer or maintenance before. But this time it did reset my trip odometer and I was using it to track my oil change. I reset the maintenance at the same time, just curious if that may still have the correct timing on it.
I'm fairly sure it does.
Old 12-26-21 | 05:18 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

When you change the battery the Trip A and B will be reset to 0.
Jazzrock (12-26-21)
Old 12-26-21 | 02:16 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
When you change the battery the Trip A and B will be reset to 0.
What about the maintenance intervals?
Old 12-26-21 | 02:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

What about the maintenance intervals?
Those as well.
Old 01-01-22 | 11:04 AM
DoDoDozer
7th Gear

potential new owner for aIS300/ 350.....
in a nutshell what are the major to do's that arent covered in the service interval that you'd need to / expect to do for a v6 from 50 to say 140k ( loking to buy a used one 2015 to 2018)
I'd expect suspension, new cats possibly, uca and lca, ( no timing belt so good on that)
Any other parts to be aware of that would sneak up on or unique to this platform?
Old 01-01-22 | 11:35 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by DoDoDozer
potential new owner for aIS300/ 350.....
in a nutshell what are the major to do's that arent covered in the service interval that you'd need to / expect to do for a v6 from 50 to say 140k ( loking to buy a used one 2015 to 2018)
I'd expect suspension, new cats possibly, uca and lca, ( no timing belt so good on that)
Any other parts to be aware of that would sneak up on or unique to this platform?
Welcome.

Lexus claim that the transmission fluid is a "lifetime fluid", but many owners have reported issues with the transmission that could only be resolved by doing a fluid change. So you may keep that in mind. Some have recommended doing that every 40-50k. Honestly, outside of the transmission fluid, you should be doing your standard maintenance as per the service schedule and be just fine. Keeping an eye on suspension components, as you have alluded to, is a good idea with just about any car.
Old 01-01-22 | 11:38 AM
DoDoDozer
7th Gear

Originally Posted by arentz07
Welcome.

Lexus claim that the transmission fluid is a "lifetime fluid", but many owners have reported issues with the transmission that could only be resolved by doing a fluid change. So you may keep that in mind. Some have recommended doing that every 40-50k. Honestly, outside of the transmission fluid, you should be doing your standard maintenance as per the service schedule and be just fine. Keeping an eye on suspension components, as you have alluded to, is a good idea with just about any car.
They pull the lifetime fluid on the GX470 as well.. I've already swapped that out.
So.... is this engine/ platform.... "reliable" low cost... compared to say my Audi at 170k?
Old 01-01-22 | 11:46 AM
arentz07

They pull the lifetime fluid on the GX470 as well.. I've already swapped that out.
So.... is this engine/ platform.... "reliable" low cost... compared to say my Audi at 170k?
Overall, yes, especially compared to something like an Audi or other luxury brands. High mileage cars with the 2GR-FSE engine will sometimes see oil consumption, but that is also not so unique to Lexus. I mean, this is a close relative of the V-6 in the Toyota Camry, Sienna, Highlander, Avalon... the list goes on. It should be easy enough to get parts for it. Even without that Toyota connection, it has been in production for over 15 years if you include the newer -FKS version of the engine.

I mean, if I really stretch, I can think of an odd thing to go bad with the engine. A friend recently had his spark plug sleeve go bad on cylinder 5 in his 2IS 350. So, the engine burns a lot of oil. But, it can be fixed. And, this is an engine with just over 200,000 miles that has seen a lot of hard driving.

Overall I'd say to just make sure the car you're purchasing has a clean history and up-to-date maintenance and go for it!
DoDoDozer (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22 | 12:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

In good condition and serviced no one has even near the issues any Audi can have. Its what Toyota is known for.

From a owner of every German nice car from the past, I also say what pre owned German car does not need expensive repairs or does not have a Oil leak. Nice car but as soon as you spend $?k and say ok now I'm good, $?k comes along next needed for something else shortly. I would only least a German car under Warranty. From years of past and many owned I would never buy again.
Old 01-01-22 | 12:27 PM
DoDoDozer
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
In good condition and serviced no one has even near the issues any Audi can have. Its what Toyota is known for.

From a owner of every German nice car from the past, I also say what pre owned German car does not need expensive repairs or does not have a Oil leak. Nice car but as soon as you spend $?k and say ok now I'm good, $?k comes along next needed for something else shortly. I would only least a German car under Warranty. From years of past and many owned I would never buy again.
Sadly i'm with you. I like working on my cars. I enjoy it. Audi will kill you if the mechanic does everything. I have way too many hobbies and with 2 young kids, even less time to spend time replacing the camshaft or such.replacing HPFP, plug wire harness, coil pack replacement, oil pump vacuum seal etc etc... I've saved easy 3k in mechanic cost but lost on the stress/ time loss spending on kid time.

Are the current costs of is350 2016=2017ish crazy high now or just normal inflated due to "covid times" In the GX470 world they are crazy high, almost 30-40%higher vs an expected 15% higher
Any regional areas lesser / higher in cost? ( I am buying from a non rust belt state... dont want frozen borken bolts/ rusted wheel fenders, The GX is from TX a fly and buy/ drive)

Old 01-01-22 | 03:13 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Sadly i'm with you. I like working on my cars. I enjoy it. Audi will kill you if the mechanic does everything. I have way too many hobbies and with 2 young kids, even less time to spend time replacing the camshaft or such.replacing HPFP, plug wire harness, coil pack replacement, oil pump vacuum seal etc etc... I've saved easy 3k in mechanic cost but lost on the stress/ time loss spending on kid time.

Are the current costs of is350 2016=2017ish crazy high now or just normal inflated due to "covid times" In the GX470 world they are crazy high, almost 30-40%higher vs an expected 15% higher
Any regional areas lesser / higher in cost? ( I am buying from a non rust belt state... dont want frozen borken bolts/ rusted wheel fenders, The GX is from TX a fly and buy/ drive)
Yea I work on mine too. To me even worst when its time to get parts and play mechanic. The other problem is I'll fix this........ might as well do this too as advised (more work). But it never gets to the place where now I can just drive it and not worry on a German car. Believe me you there are some nice Audi, BMW, MB's I think about, and then I go, hell no, I know what it's going to be like. Non stop fixing.

Price wise I shop patiently. Know what I want, color, equipment condition miles, then buy when I see the best price with that. I also quit doing the buy and drive back. Deliver with less miles and my time. Don't buy into a nice trip to drive my new car. Will own it long enough to do that.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!