IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 06:14 PM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Could someone explain traction control VS vehicle stability control and if any modes disable them?
Old 01-01-22, 07:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by BillCannon
Could someone explain traction control VS vehicle stability control and if any modes disable them?
I can sort of basically describe what's going on, but someone may have to fill in the gaps...

Traction control is mainly just associated with making sure the wheels are actually putting power to the ground and moving the car instead of spinning in place. It does this through the use of sensors, such as wheel speed sensors, and cutting engine power delivery to maintain traction. VSC is more about making sure the car is following its intended path and not sliding around. It does this by using various sensors to detect where the four wheels of the car are going and, for example, applying brakes when needed to straighten the car out. Of course, you can be sure these two systems are integrated.

As far as disabling these systems goes, unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to disable anything without turning everything off. For instance, you can temporarily disable ONLY traction control by pressing the TC Off button. However, it will return after a short period of time or after a certain speed is reached. It's possible to disable BOTH traction control and vehicle stability control by holding down the TC Off button for a couple of seconds while stationary. Because the VSC system is integrated with things like emergency braking, those features are also disabled when VSC is disabled. Curiously, this is also the only way to get the engine to ping off the rev limiter unless you also have Sport+ mode. This makes me curious as to whether Sport+ mode also causes a reduction in either traction or stability control - if so, it isn't telegraphed to the driver.
Old 01-01-22, 08:12 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Technically, Sport+ would make the VSC and TC more lenient and slightly less intrusive, as would regular Sport mode. There is a maneuver to disable both VSC and TC which is known as the "pedal dance". Basically, it puts the car into a sort of hoonigan mode. There are a few videos of that on Youtube. Just beware that disabling VSC and TC can make a car completely transform, whether that's from an understeering behemoth to an agile racecar or an agile racecar to an oversteering buffoon.
Old 01-01-22, 09:42 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Yri
Technically, Sport+ would make the VSC and TC more lenient and slightly less intrusive, as would regular Sport mode. There is a maneuver to disable both VSC and TC which is known as the "pedal dance". Basically, it puts the car into a sort of hoonigan mode. There are a few videos of that on Youtube. Just beware that disabling VSC and TC can make a car completely transform, whether that's from an understeering behemoth to an agile racecar or an agile racecar to an oversteering buffoon.
How do you know that the traction and stability control are different in Sport or Sport+ mode?

FWIW, I haven't noticed any difference between the pedal dance and having TC fully off.
Old 01-02-22, 05:36 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Well I can't completely say Sport+ lowers the VSC/TC intrusiveness but, logistically, it should, as the name is 'Sport' or 'Sport +'. As far as I know most German manufacturers do this so I would assume the IS is the same.

And from what I've heard the pedal dance turns VSC and TC fully off, as in truly fully off. I remember somebody mentioning that turning the VSC/TC off using the button will turn it off for the most part until it detects that you're pretty much in an oh crap moment. Sort of like the Expert mode on the RC F (though that does more). So basically you'd really have to be doing something really, really stupid to get the VSC/TC to activate, if my hypothesis proves correct. Just remember to take this with a grain of salt.
Old 01-02-22, 07:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Yri
Well I can't completely say Sport+ lowers the VSC/TC intrusiveness but, logistically, it should, as the name is 'Sport' or 'Sport +'. As far as I know most German manufacturers do this so I would assume the IS is the same.

And from what I've heard the pedal dance turns VSC and TC fully off, as in truly fully off. I remember somebody mentioning that turning the VSC/TC off using the button will turn it off for the most part until it detects that you're pretty much in an oh crap moment. Sort of like the Expert mode on the RC F (though that does more). So basically you'd really have to be doing something really, really stupid to get the VSC/TC to activate, if my hypothesis proves correct. Just remember to take this with a grain of salt.
Cool. I mean, we'll probably never know definitively without asking someone who knows technical details about the ECUs, but I'll say that, sliding around in the snow, I could do whatever I wanted - slides, donuts, etc. - with just a long press of the TC off button. However, that was at lower speeds - maybe the "oh crap" moment is only at high speeds?

Furthermore, with respect to the Germans, I think we all know Lexus marches to its own drummer... Besides, in my wife's BMW, the way to reduce TC and ESC is pretty explicit. There is a reduced TC mode called M Dynamic Traction Control, then there's fully-off. Putting the car in Sport mode doesn't seem to do anything to the TC or ESC. Just an example.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (01-03-22)
Old 01-03-22, 06:26 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
... maybe the "oh crap" moment is only at high speeds?
Maybe the ventilated seats have a built in sensor that detects foul odors and the ECU does a correction?!? (lol)
arentz07 (01-03-22)
Old 01-14-22, 05:38 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for it or not but I thought I'd ask and get y'alls opinions. So I bought a 2022 IS350 with DHP two weeks ago exam and I'm still in the process of learning the car but had some questions about some things I've noticed and I'm not sure if they are an issue or not.
1. Rear defroster
So today my rear glass had a bunch of dew on it and it was a bit cold (for Florida standards) so I got in the car and turned on the heated seats & steering wheel, and then turned on the rear defroster. I sat in the car for like 10 minutes to let the car warm up and I noticed that it had barely defrosted anything! I got out and touched the outside of the glass near the defroster lines and it was very slightly warm. On the inside though, the defroster lines were warm. Is this glass thicker and it takes a while or was the fact that I also had the seat warmer and steering wheel warmer the cause of the issue? Perhaps @Sasnuke or @flipside909 with the electrical diagrams may be able to chime in. Maybe those functions are under the same fuses/circuit?
2. Alignment
Last Saturday I took my car in to Lexus to have the alignment checked because I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly off center when the vehicle was driving straight. They checked the alignment and found the front and rear passenger toe was out of spec and they adjusted it. The steering wheel is straight, but I still feel the car pulling ever so slightly to the right. The service advisor informed me that these cars tend to favor the crown of the road because of the low profile tires. I did some research on it and I found other IS owners with similar issues in the past and one suggestion one person said to confirm if it was the crown, was to drive on the opposite side of the road (obviously when nobody was coming down it lmfao) and see if the car then pulled to the left. I did that with my car and it did in fact pull ever so slightly to the left. Would this then be something that can be considered "normal" and I should just ignore it?
Old 01-14-22, 05:49 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I'll let the expert chime in on #1.

On point #2, there is some truth to the car following the road so that makes sense to me. What I have also noticed every time I buy a new car, and maybe it's in my head but I find for the 1st 1000 km or so, this is a bit more pronounced and then seems to go away and not sure if it is partially related to the new tires and almost as if they need to "wear out to the road" if that makes any sense...Can't explain it well....If you had an alignment done and all is within spec, I wouldn't worry too much for a little while and see if it gets less noticeable. Also, try and find different roads to drive it on and see if that happens as well
TipsyTonio (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:01 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I'll let the expert chime in on #1.

On point #2, there is some truth to the car following the road so that makes sense to me. What I have also noticed every time I buy a new car, and maybe it's in my head but I find for the 1st 1000 km or so, this is a bit more pronounced and then seems to go away and not sure if it is partially related to the new tires and almost as if they need to "wear out to the road" if that makes any sense...Can't explain it well....If you had an alignment done and all is within spec, I wouldn't worry too much for a little while and see if it gets less noticeable. Also, try and find different roads to drive it on and see if that happens as well
Right, some people mentioned the same thing as well; with time it got better. I have the print out of the alignment and everything was set correctly so I'm not too concerned by it. I've tried it on a bunch of roads and on some it is more pronounced than others.

Your insight on question #1 might actually be really helpful since you basically live in the North Pole. What has your experience been with the defroster? Slow or fast? Or never used it because your car is a garage queen
Old 01-14-22, 06:07 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Well, I have found the Lexus a bit weak on the heated steering/seats when I did use it as with the defroster but again, the odd times I have used it was in the late fall or early spring when we would get colder conditions. The part I wanted the experts was your part of the diagram as I wouldn't have that at my finger tips.

My Spark (GM) is amazing with heating by my Elantra is also very weak, especially the rear defroster and heat in the cabin - The heated seats are fantastic though
TipsyTonio (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:15 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Right, some people mentioned the same thing as well; with time it got better. I have the print out of the alignment and everything was set correctly so I'm not too concerned by it. I've tried it on a bunch of roads and on some it is more pronounced than others.

Your insight on question #1 might actually be really helpful since you basically live in the North Pole. What has your experience been with the defroster? Slow or fast? Or never used it because your car is a garage queen
For #2 that's normal.
For #1, it really depends on the size of the water droplets.
For us here, the "frost" is really a fine layer of moisture that the defroster will clear in minutes. But when you talk about actual water, then that means it's not cold enough to be frost, therefore the defroster is likely not going to do much, if anything.
And yes the inside of the glass will feel warmer as the defroster lines are closer to the inside of the glass than the outside. Realistically the frost is usually built up on the inside, so this is where the defroster tries to make the most impact when operating.
Without actually seeing the vehicle in action for #1, I'm going to assume it's also normal.
For a place like southern Florida I can only see defrosters being useful in some very specific scenarios, considering the weather you get. For us in the North Pole it wouldn't be uncommon to use the defrosters several times a week, if not daily, during January and February especially.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
arentz07 (01-14-22), TipsyTonio (01-14-22), wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:20 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Well, I have found the Lexus a bit weak on the heated steering/seats when I did use it as with the defroster but again, the odd times I have used it was in the late fall or early spring when we would get colder conditions. The part I wanted the experts was your part of the diagram as I wouldn't have that at my finger tips.

My Spark (GM) is amazing with heating by my Elantra is also very weak, especially the rear defroster and heat in the cabin - The heated seats are fantastic though
Ah man! I thought you and I had a spark going! Sorry @Carolina50
Originally Posted by Sasnuke
For #2 that's normal.
For us here, the "frost" is really a fine layer of moisture that the defroster will clear in minutes. But when you talk about actual water, then that means it's not cold enough to be frost, therefore the defroster is likely not going to do much, if anything.
And yes the inside of the glass will feel warmer as the defroster lines are closer to the inside of the glass than the outside. Realistically the frost is usually built up on the inside, so this is where the defroster tries to make the most impact when operating.
Without actually seeing the vehicle in action for #1, I'm going to assume it's also normal.
For a place like southern Florida I can only see defrosters being useful in some very specific scenarios, considering the weather you get. For us in the North Pole it wouldn't be uncommon to use the defrosters several times a week, if not daily, during January and February especially.
Sasnuke always coming in clutch! You're the man. Yeah I guess I've been using the defroster wrong all this years and had the concept misconstrued. I will admit that what was outside the glass was condensation more than anything. Just touching it ever so slightly with my finger to feel the temperature would clear the layer of water on the surface. I don't think we've ever truly gotten "frost" on a car down here. I'm just used to my Corolla where in like 5 minutes that glass was super clean. It's a double edged sword though because as we speak the Corolla is at the tint shop getting the rear tint replaced because it was starting to lift up near the defrosters. I appreciate the help though! I was getting a little nervous because I'm scheduled to get tints tomorrow and I didn't want to get tints if there could be a problem with the defroster.
wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:26 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
For #2 that's normal.
Oh I forgot about my third “issue”. There’s this weather stripping in the rear drivers side window that does not want to sit flush with the window frame! I’ve tried lowering the window to push it and everything. Nothing. I’m considering mentioning it to the service department but I really don’t want them to have to take apart the door panel on a car with 400 miles. Would this require even removing the door panel to have it replaced? And I guess my main concern, can water even get in as it is? What do y’all think?

Old 01-14-22, 06:35 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I doubt water would get in. I would ask the dealer next time you are in and see what is involved to have repaired and then decide if its worth it or not. I am surprised that it can't just be pushed in but its hard to tell for sure....To me, it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!