IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 06:39 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I doubt water would get in. I would ask the dealer next time you are in and see what is involved to have repaired and then decide if its worth it or not. I am surprised that it can't just be pushed in but its hard to tell for sure....To me, it is more of a cosmetic thing than anything
I'm going to try with a plastic pry tool this weekend and see, but with my ID card and my finger, I had no luck
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I doubt it's an issue, but my policy with brand-new cars like this is to not touch anything lest I get denied a warranty claim later.

My weather stripping doesn't look perfectly flush either, but I should go take a look.
TipsyTonio (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:54 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
I doubt it's an issue, but my policy with brand-new cars like this is to not touch anything lest I get denied a warranty claim later.

My weather stripping doesn't look perfectly flush either, but I should go take a look.
I feel you. But I've had experiences where I take a car in for one problem, and then leave with 3 lmao. I already have an appointment to get the plastic trunk trim replaced because it came scratched from the factory, and I'm a little scared of them messing it up big time. Please do keep us posted!
arentz07 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 06:58 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
So I'm not sure if this is the right place for it or not but I thought I'd ask and get y'alls opinions. So I bought a 2022 IS350 with DHP two weeks ago exam and I'm still in the process of learning the car but had some questions about some things I've noticed and I'm not sure if they are an issue or not.
1. Rear defroster
So today my rear glass had a bunch of dew on it and it was a bit cold (for Florida standards) so I got in the car and turned on the heated seats & steering wheel, and then turned on the rear defroster. I sat in the car for like 10 minutes to let the car warm up and I noticed that it had barely defrosted anything! I got out and touched the outside of the glass near the defroster lines and it was very slightly warm. On the inside though, the defroster lines were warm. Is this glass thicker and it takes a while or was the fact that I also had the seat warmer and steering wheel warmer the cause of the issue? Perhaps @Sasnuke or @flipside909 with the electrical diagrams may be able to chime in. Maybe those functions are under the same fuses/circuit?
2. Alignment
Last Saturday I took my car in to Lexus to have the alignment checked because I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly off center when the vehicle was driving straight. They checked the alignment and found the front and rear passenger toe was out of spec and they adjusted it. The steering wheel is straight, but I still feel the car pulling ever so slightly to the right. The service advisor informed me that these cars tend to favor the crown of the road because of the low profile tires. I did some research on it and I found other IS owners with similar issues in the past and one suggestion one person said to confirm if it was the crown, was to drive on the opposite side of the road (obviously when nobody was coming down it lmfao) and see if the car then pulled to the left. I did that with my car and it did in fact pull ever so slightly to the left. Would this then be something that can be considered "normal" and I should just ignore it?
#1 Since you're in Florida, it's very humid there. Rear window defroster works well in drier climates. I would highly recommend using the A/C but raise the temperature to help dehumidify the cabin and the glass. Auto setting on your climate control works wonders. I have window tint on all my cars so I never use the rear defroster. I've just learned to modulate the temperature with the A/C on to help keep the humidity in the cabin low. A/C is not just to keep the car cool, it's there to assist with the heater and to help keep the humidity in the car low.

#2 Vehicle pulling to the right slightly is normal. Roads are crowned by design for water drainage and your safety so you don't inadvertently drive into oncoming traffic. All the IS' i've ever owned tend to have inner tire wire overtime due to the geometry of the suspension and handling characteristics. It's normal, but always keep an eye on your tire pressures and abnormal wear.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipside909:
TipsyTonio (01-14-22), wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 07:03 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by flipside909
#1 Since you're in Florida, it's very humid there. Rear window defroster works well in drier climates. I would highly recommend using the A/C but raise the temperature to help dehumidify the cabin and the glass. Auto setting on your climate control works wonders. I have window tint on all my cars so I never use the rear defroster. I've just learned to modulate the temperature with the A/C on to help keep the humidity in the cabin low. A/C is not just to keep the car cool, it's there to assist with the heater and to help keep the humidity in the car low.

#2 Vehicle pulling to the right slightly is normal. Roads are crowned by design for water drainage and your safety so you don't inadvertently drive into oncoming traffic. All the IS' i've ever owned tend to have inner tire wire overtime due to the geometry of the suspension and handling characteristics. It's normal, but always keep an eye on your tire pressures and abnormal wear.
Thanks man! I appreciate it. Interestingly I guess I have to go back and change my settings lol. I had turned off the AUTO climate in the infotainment because I was getting a little annoyed with the car automatically changing the air direction, and one time, I could've sworn it even switched from recycled air to outside air. I will switch it back and see if it makes a difference. Thank you though for all the insight!
Old 01-14-22, 07:05 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ that is a good suggestion to use the fan and blow more air into the cabin to help that process but I would try and use the manual settings, I dislike the auto climate with a passion....I hate auto everything to be honest (auto high beam, auto sensing wipers etc..)
TipsyTonio (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 07:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

^^ that is a good suggestion to use the fan and blow more air into the cabin to help that process but I would try and use the manual settings, I dislike the auto climate with a passion....I hate auto everything to be honest (auto high beam, auto sensing wipers etc..)
Why not just let your robot overlords make the decisions for you? That way, we can replace all these physical controls with menus.

Personally, I am an auto guy when it comes to climate, but with the high beams, not sure. Am I the only one around here who thinks the auto high beams in the IS are pretty dumb? They tend to turn off far too late, and I have even had instances where they turn on while a car is in plain view only to turn back off a second later.

wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 07:33 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I wouldn't know, I turn all that stuff off, including lane keep, auto cruise and everything else! Mind you, I never drive in the rain either so I wouldn't even know how to activate my auto wipers (lol) My wipers will disintegrate before they wear off
arentz07 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 07:35 AM
arentz07
drives cars

^^ I wouldn't know, I turn all that stuff off, including lane keep, auto cruise and everything else! Mind you, I never drive in the rain either so I wouldn't even know how to activate my auto wipers (lol) My wipers will disintegrate before they wear off
Rain sensing/auto wipers are the best. I had them first in my 2016 GTI and was astounded my 2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD didn't have them given the price difference. Every car since that GTI has had them. I like that I don't have to adjust the speed in the rain - it just adapts to how much water is hitting the windshield.
Old 01-14-22, 07:39 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Rain sensing/auto wipers are the best. I had them first in my 2016 GTI and was astounded my 2016 Lexus IS 300 AWD didn't have them given the price difference. Every car since that GTI has had them. I like that I don't have to adjust the speed in the rain - it just adapts to how much water is hitting the windshield.
My experience has been the opposite. I was excited to have them but they're annoying me. Lately I've been getting small drizzles on my way to work and I have to have the wipers in the lowest sensitivity for the auto function, or it wipes way too fast. but then its a double edged sword because when the rain picks up, the wipers speed up, but not enough and I'm left blind for a little, so I have to bump up the sensitivity. But I will keep using them because I rather do that than use the stupid stalk that returns back to center. I hate it
wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22, 07:49 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I totally agree, that has been my experience on some of the car rentals I have used (for work related travel) - slight drizzle and then they would start to speed up and then a truck would send a crap of water in my windshield and would take like 3 sec to react. I was like argggggg!

Now for my daily drivers (because I still find wipers annoying), I find applying rain-X prevents me from having to use my wipers at all time except to clean dirt periodically
Old 01-14-22, 08:10 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

^^ I totally agree, that has been my experience on some of the car rentals I have used (for work related travel) - slight drizzle and then they would start to speed up and then a truck would send a crap of water in my windshield and would take like 3 sec to react. I was like argggggg!

Now for my daily drivers (because I still find wipers annoying), I find applying rain-X prevents me from having to use my wipers at all time except to clean dirt periodically
Totally agree. The one drawback I've found the rain x is that it hardens my wipers
Old 01-14-22, 08:31 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
I feel you. But I've had experiences where I take a car in for one problem, and then leave with 3 lmao. I already have an appointment to get the plastic trunk trim replaced because it came scratched from the factory, and I'm a little scared of them messing it up big time. Please do keep us posted!
So I went and checked my car just now. It looks pretty flush actually - maybe I was remembering it wrong when I said it wasn't flush. The outermost edge of the trim doesn't go flush, but further up, it definitely meets with the door edge.

Old 01-14-22, 08:32 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

So I went and checked my car just now. It looks pretty flush actually - maybe I was remembering it wrong when I said it wasn't flush. The outermost edge of the trim doesn't go flush, but further up, it definitely meets with the door edge.

Thanks for sharing this! Yeah mine is like yours everywhere except in the rear driver's door along the edge of the gloss black metal bar. How is yours there?
Old 01-14-22, 08:38 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

...so you actually put your pants on and went out to check it, that is determination (lol)
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
arentz07 (01-14-22), TipsyTonio (01-14-22), zhifan1 (01-15-22)

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!