IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22 | 10:10 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Thanks for sharing this! Yeah mine is like yours everywhere except in the rear driver's door along the edge of the gloss black metal bar. How is yours there?
Well, I had to put my pants back on, but I checked it. Looks pretty uniform all the way across the window.

The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22 | 10:22 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, I had to put my pants back on, but I checked it. Looks pretty uniform all the way across the window.

Thanks for posting this bud. I think we are focusing on two different parts tho lol. I took your picture and circled the area where mine is sticking out and yours seems to be the same ever so slightly. I can’t tell well from that angle

thank you regardless!
arentz07 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22 | 11:21 AM
arentz07

Thanks for posting this bud. I think we are focusing on two different parts tho lol. I took your picture and circled the area where mine is sticking out and yours seems to be the same ever so slightly. I can’t tell well from that angle

thank you regardless!
Oh, duh. Sorry I was probably not reading closely enough. It's Friday and we have a release coming up, so been a little burnt out this week.

So, yeah looks like it's a similar story with my window. I never noticed that before. Good eye.
TipsyTonio (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22 | 11:56 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Here is mine...

And because mine is in the garage, I didnt have to put my pants on...lol

Last edited by wthrman2; 01-14-22 at 12:01 PM.
TipsyTonio (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22 | 12:02 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Here is mine...

Ah shucks. Yours is flush. I really dont want to have to take apart my door panel lol
wthrman2 (01-14-22)
Old 01-14-22 | 02:40 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Oh I forgot about my third “issue”. There’s this weather stripping in the rear drivers side window that does not want to sit flush with the window frame! I’ve tried lowering the window to push it and everything. Nothing. I’m considering mentioning it to the service department but I really don’t want them to have to take apart the door panel on a car with 400 miles. Would this require even removing the door panel to have it replaced? And I guess my main concern, can water even get in as it is? What do y’all think?

My wife's CT also has issues with the weather stripping on the rear driver side window. It is pushed into the door and permanently deformed. I asked the dealer about it and they said that's cosmetic and it would cost me to replace. Different place as you but similar idea. No amount of strength can bring it back to shape and out of the jam. I thought I was the only one.
TipsyTonio (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22 | 07:42 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by macmaster
My wife's CT also has issues with the weather stripping on the rear driver side window. It is pushed into the door and permanently deformed. I asked the dealer about it and they said that's cosmetic and it would cost me to replace. Different place as you but similar idea. No amount of strength can bring it back to shape and out of the jam. I thought I was the only one.
Damn, sounds like I’ll have no luck with my dealer then. But then it also means I shouldn’t be concerned of water intrusion then
arentz07 (01-16-22)
Old 01-17-22 | 07:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Oh I forgot about my third “issue”. There’s this weather stripping in the rear drivers side window that does not want to sit flush with the window frame! I’ve tried lowering the window to push it and everything. Nothing. I’m considering mentioning it to the service department but I really don’t want them to have to take apart the door panel on a car with 400 miles. Would this require even removing the door panel to have it replaced? And I guess my main concern, can water even get in as it is? What do y’all think?
They will need to pull the door panel and window glass out to access that weatherstrip. Take it in to your service department to get it looked at.
Old 01-17-22 | 07:52 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by flipside909
They will need to pull the door panel and window glass out to access that weatherstrip. Take it in to your service department to get it looked at.
Oh hellll no. Not on a brand new car. Maybe when I’m at 47k miles lmao. Thanks for letting me know
arentz07 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 03:17 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I agree, for something so minor, I would not have my door panel removed and potentially introduce rattles and wind noise...
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
arentz07 (01-18-22), TipsyTonio (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 06:00 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Oh hellll no. Not on a brand new car. Maybe when I’m at 47k miles lmao. Thanks for letting me know
I would bring it to their attention so that it can be documented on the work order...now there will be a record of the issue should they question it later on.
They may even want to take pics and send to HQ quality control department so they can see what the issue is before actually making a repair attempt.
If enough people have this issue, which is possible, then Toyota should look at correcting it.
You can simply let the advisor know you are bringing the issue to their attention, not looking to have your car ripped apart at this time to fix it.
If enough vehicles have this issue then HQ can find a guinea pig to use for investigation and repair attempts...doesn't need to be your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
TipsyTonio (01-18-22), wthrman2 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 06:04 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I would bring it to their attention so that it can be documented on the work order...now there will be a record of the issue should they question it later on.
They may even want to take pics and send to HQ quality control department so they can see what the issue is before actually making a repair attempt.
If enough people have this issue, which is possible, then Toyota should look at correcting it.
You can simply let the advisor know you are bringing the issue to their attention, not looking to have your car ripped apart at this time to fix it.
If enough vehicles have this issue then HQ can find a guinea pig to use for investigation and repair attempts...doesn't need to be your car.
Thanks for the feedback Sasnuke! I had already texted it to my service advisor but he kinda went MIA as soon as I sent him the picture lol. I have to go in this Saturday to get a trunk piece replaced, so I'll mention it then and see what they say. My main concern is the risk of water intrusion, so if no water can get it, I won't sweat it much.
Old 01-18-22 | 07:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

This must be your first new Lexus lol. These cars are built pretty well from the factory. Even if they remove the door panels, the techs check their work and test everything before closing out the ticket.

Also, each car is tested for water leakage at the end of the manufacturing process for quality checks. I'm pretty confident that misaligned weather strip is doing its job keeping water out. Just tell your service advisor of things that look to be of defects and they will check out out for you. It's good to build rapport with your service dept. They will take care of you in different ways later down the road.
TipsyTonio (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 07:31 AM
arentz07

This must be your first new Lexus lol. These cars are built pretty well from the factory. Even if they remove the door panels, the techs check their work and test everything before closing out the ticket.

Also, each car is tested for water leakage at the end of the manufacturing process for quality checks. I'm pretty confident that misaligned weather strip is doing its job keeping water out. Just tell your service advisor of things that look to be of defects and they will check out out for you. It's good to build rapport with your service dept. They will take care of you in different ways later down the road.
Mine is slightly misaligned and has been driven in rain and (for the moment, until we move into the new house in a couple weeks) is parked outside. Never had any water intrusion.
TipsyTonio (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22 | 07:47 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

First Lexus, but not first Toyota product. And I've taken cars in for recalls and left with broken components. Theoretically, yes, the dealer will have to replace anything they break, but what if it develops a rattle? The door panel I'd consider, but removing the window is a big no no for me especially since that would require peeling back the plastic film behind the door panel, and I already know they're not going to glue it back properly because nobody is going to see it.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!