IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 09:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
First Lexus, but not first Toyota product. And I've taken cars in for recalls and left with broken components. Theoretically, yes, the dealer will have to replace anything they break, but what if it develops a rattle? The door panel I'd consider, but removing the window is a big no no for me especially since that would require peeling back the plastic film behind the door panel, and I already know they're not going to glue it back properly because nobody is going to see it.
The moisture barrier is attached by silicone adhesive, removing and replacing it is no big deal as you're not breaking any kind of major seal. You really have nothing to worry about, and they will put it back together correctly. This is Lexus we're talking about, not a Toyota dealer.
The following users liked this post:
TipsyTonio (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 09:41 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The moisture barrier is attached by silicone adhesive, removing and replacing it is no big deal as you're not breaking any kind of major seal. You really have nothing to worry about, and they will put it back together correctly. This is Lexus we're talking about, not a Toyota dealer.
Actually, the moisture barrier is held in place with Butyl Tape, so it's actually reusable to an extent if you are careful removing and reinstalling it. It doesn't harden, so it's always pliable.
Obviously the ideal scenario is to remove and replace the moisture barrier without any damage, but even if it was slightly damaged, any water that gets in the door will drain out the bottom through the drain holes...this is independent of the fact if the moisture barrier is perfect or slightly damaged...or missing.
I probably would have said, "This is Lexus we're talking about, not a Tesla dealer."
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Jazzrock (01-18-22), TipsyTonio (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 07:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Actually, the moisture barrier is held in place with Butyl Tape, so it's actually reusable to an extent if you are careful removing and reinstalling it. It doesn't harden, so it's always pliable.
Obviously the ideal scenario is to remove and replace the moisture barrier without any damage, but even if it was slightly damaged, any water that gets in the door will drain out the bottom through the drain holes...this is independent of the fact if the moisture barrier is perfect or slightly damaged...or missing.
I probably would have said, "This is Lexus we're talking about, not a Tesla dealer."
Butyl tape is not used in Toyota and Lexus applications. The black adhesive sealant is applied with a gun at the factory. This is what we used at the bodyshops as a replacement.
  • 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Tube - 5 oz. - 08008
Old 01-19-22, 05:18 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Butyl tape is not used in Toyota and Lexus applications. The black adhesive sealant is applied with a gun at the factory. This is what we used at the bodyshops as a replacement.
  • 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Tube - 5 oz. - 08008
You may want to reach out to your contacts at Toyota/Lexus and ask them to correct every repair manual they have then if you're 100% sure it's not Butyl Tape.
You can clearly see from the pic below it states Butyl Tape for item #7.
Every door panel I've ever taken off a Toyota or Lexus has had Butyl Tape holding the moisture barrier in place. In Winter it's firm and thick like Tofi and in Summer it's much softer with an almost tar like consistency.
I don't think I need to comment on this any further. I would suggest that the term "tape" is misleading as it's not really "tape" in the conventional sense that we think of, but nonetheless that is what the product is called.

TipsyTonio (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 06:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You may want to reach out to your contacts at Toyota/Lexus and ask them to correct every repair manual they have then if you're 100% sure it's not Butyl Tape.
You can clearly see from the pic below it states Butyl Tape for item #7.
Every door panel I've ever taken off a Toyota or Lexus has had Butyl Tape holding the moisture barrier in place. In Winter it's firm and thick like Tofi and in Summer it's much softer with an almost tar like consistency.
I don't think I need to comment on this any further. I would suggest that the term "tape" is misleading as it's not really "tape" in the conventional sense that we think of, but nonetheless that is what the product is called.
I've seen the adhesive applied at the factory and at the repair shops in my previous professional career in this industry. The terminology definitely needs updating as the material is not applied by a roll. I just sent a note to my old teammates about this.

Regardless of the tape or adhesive used, it should be cleaned up and replaced if a door panel or the door assembly is replaced.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-19-22 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-05-22, 03:48 PM
Madvlad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to replace the struts and shocks on my 16' IS300 FSport soon. Looking it up by VIN, Lexus gives me several options including AVS for the rear shocks but just wanting to confirm that from my understanding only the 350's came with that option? When I look at the front struts on the parts fiche, only gives me one option for L&R and doesn't mention anything about AVS on the description, so again my assumption is that I'll need non AVS rear shocks but well again just wanting to confirm. Yes, I did use the search button but didn't come up with anything searching under AVS and or Adaptive Suspension in the 3IS forum, thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-22, 08:59 AM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Just bought my first Lexus. 2022 IS350 DHP in ultra white. 2022 dropped the rear F Sport badge, I want it back. Anyone have the part number for the 2021's?
arentz07 (02-07-22)
Old 02-06-22, 10:32 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
Just bought my first Lexus. 2022 IS350 DHP in ultra white. 2022 dropped the rear F Sport badge, I want it back. Anyone have the part number for the 2021's?
Ayyy. You and I are Yin Yang. Weren’t you holding out for an IS500 though? Post some pictures! What other options does yours have

Heres your part number: 75443-53270
Papa Joe can correct me if I’m wrong

Last edited by TipsyTonio; 02-06-22 at 10:39 AM.
Yaroze86 (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 08:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

@Yaroze86 Congrats. I am not sure how I feel about the removal of the F Sport badge, but I sort of suspected it based on how the IS 500 doesn't have one either.

I think it'll simplify things going forward with the whole F Sport Style/Handling/Performance lineup - they'll only need to make those differently-colored fender badges instead of the ones for the trunk lid as well.
Yaroze86 (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 10:22 AM
Yaroze86
Pit Crew

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Ayyy. You and I are Yin Yang. Weren’t you holding out for an IS500 though? Post some pictures! What other options does yours have

Heres your part number: 75443-53270
Papa Joe can correct me if I’m wrong
I was but I talked myself out of it. It's more a car then I need. I would feel bad about driving a Serialized numbered car as a daily as well. I have the AE86 for fun drives.

Panoramic View w/ Cross Traffic
DHP Package
Triple Beam Headlights
Navigation/Mark Levinson Package
Moonroof
All Weather Mats
Door Edge Guards
Trunk Mat/Cargo Net/Wheel Locks
The following 2 users liked this post by Yaroze86:
arentz07 (02-07-22), TipsyTonio (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 06:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Probably covered before, but not coming up with any search results. Does our car have the ability to program the auto-turn signal feature to blink five times instead of three? This would be for a 2020 IS350 F-Sport w/o nav. I could have sworn I read about it years ago, and I do see the manual list "5 blinks" as an option. Just don't see any instruction on where to go in a menu or how to do it. Service advisor says he can't find anything either. Thanks!
TipsyTonio (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 06:16 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaroze86
I was but I talked myself out of it. It's more a car then I need. I would feel bad about driving a Serialized numbered car as a daily as well. I have the AE86 for fun drives.

Panoramic View w/ Cross Traffic
DHP Package
Triple Beam Headlights
Navigation/Mark Levinson Package
Moonroof
All Weather Mats
Door Edge Guards
Trunk Mat/Cargo Net/Wheel Locks
Nice man! Enjoy it. I am of the same sentiment as you. I had a deposit on an IS500 but I canceled it back in August and instead ordered a 350 to my taste and I really don't regret. Now that I'm past my break in period and I did a break in oil change, I may or may not be beating the snot out of it, and its an amazing driver's car! I'm curious; how come you didn't get the memory package or the sunshade? Both of them were added in 2022 and amount to about $700 more and its truthfully the only thing that sets apart a 22 from a 21. Great car nonetheless. Enjoy it!
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Probably covered before, but not coming up with any search results. Does our car have the ability to program the auto-turn signal feature to blink five times instead of three? This would be for a 2020 IS350 F-Sport w/o nav. I could have sworn I read about it years ago, and I do see the manual list "5 blinks" as an option. Just don't see any instruction on where to go in a menu or how to do it. Service advisor says he can't find anything either. Thanks!
Yes it can be done but it needs to be done by the dealer using Techstream. It varies dealer by dealer but they may decide to charge you. And they are kind of inept. My '22 has some options that I want to change and when I asked the service department to change it when I bought the car, they told me they couldn't see certain options because Techstream recognized it as a '21. I wanted them to change features related to my sunshade and the memory seating, both of which were added in '22 so they couldn't change it. I'm 99% sure that its because they were using an outdated version of it. So depending on the year of your car, make sure you tell them to be updated lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
arentz07 (02-07-22), wthrman2 (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 06:30 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

EDIT #2 - http://s3.amazonaws.com/lexus.site.t...U/OM53E98U.pdf

P 399 (section 8-2) customization by Lexus tech

Last edited by wthrman2; 02-07-22 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 10:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2

Excellent. Thank you both. It appears my dealer has never had this request before. I'll be the first on my next visit.
wthrman2 (02-08-22)
Old 02-14-22, 05:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wthrman2

Could that just be for the 2021+ models? I went to the same section in my 2020's manual and it does not show anything for the turn signal. Similar other customization options are present, but nothing for the signal.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!