IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 06:13 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Could that just be for the 2021+ models? I went to the same section in my 2020's manual and it does not show anything for the turn signal. Similar other customization options are present, but nothing for the signal.
it exists for the 2014+ model. Whether it’s on the manual I can’t say. You guys also got a separate personalized setting form which is available on the Lexus Drivers website
The following users liked this post:
Fizzboy7 (02-14-22)
Old 02-15-22, 03:59 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Probably covered before, but not coming up with any search results. Does our car have the ability to program the auto-turn signal feature to blink five times instead of three? This would be for a 2020 IS350 F-Sport w/o nav. I could have sworn I read about it years ago, and I do see the manual list "5 blinks" as an option. Just don't see any instruction on where to go in a menu or how to do it. Service advisor says he can't find anything either. Thanks!
Yes. This was from the GS forum and I did it for my '19 IS350, setting it to 5 blinks. You can do it yourself.

1. Start with the car completely off

2. Use the rotary **** on the wiper control to set how many blinks you want. This **** has four positions:- 1st (bottom) position = 3 blinks- 2nd position = 5 blinks- 3rd position = 7 blinks- 4th (top) position = no automatic blinks

3. Hold the wiper lever in the all-the-way-up position, and keep holding it there

4. With foot OFF brake pedal, press the start button twice so the gauges light up (keep holding that wiper lever up!)

5. Continue to hold the wiper lever all the way up for 5 seconds or more (if you go too fast you will have to start all over!)

6. Let the wiper lever come down one position and hold it there for 5+ seconds (don't let it go back to the middle, just let it come down one position)

7. Hold with wiper lever all the way up again for another 5+ seconds

8. Let with wiper lever come down one position again, and hold it for 5+ seconds

9. Let go of the wiper lever. The right turn signal should flash once. If it doesn't, turn the car off and start again at step 1.

10. Briefly move the turn signal lever down 1 position and let go of it again. The left turn signal should flash to confirm your setting, but not in the way you might expect.

It will blink 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to match where you set the rotary **** on the wiper control, so:

- 1 flash = set for 3 blinks

​​​- 2 flashes = set for 5 blinks-

3 flashes = set for 7 blinks-

4 flashes = no auto blinks
The following 2 users liked this post by GNS:
GoHorns (02-16-22), kj07xk (02-17-22)
Old 02-16-22, 08:44 AM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

Starting to think that the Lexus engineers played a lot of Nintendo growing up.
Old 02-16-22, 10:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHorns
Starting to think that the Lexus engineers played a lot of Nintendo growing up.
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. It will be a miracle if I can get the above to work. But will give it a try...
Old 02-16-22, 11:08 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Some visual.

Last edited by zhifan1; 02-16-22 at 11:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zhifan1:
cuellooo (03-01-22), kj07xk (02-17-22)
Old 02-16-22, 11:08 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. It will be a miracle if I can get the above to work. But will give it a try...
It's easier than you think. The video posted shows how easy it is. It's just that the order of instructions differs a little, he moves the wiper speed rotary dial after letting go of the wiper stalk. Tapping the turn signal at the end is just telling the computer to confirm the setting.

I went down to my car just now and tried it like the video and that works too. I was able to set it to 7 auto blinks and back to 5 auto blinks.

There is one inconsistency - the written instructions at step 10 say that it will flash from 1 - 4 times, depending on the setting you requested by turning that wiper stalk rotary dial.

The video shows his turn signals flashing 5 times in confirmation.

All I know is that my car (2019 IS350) behaves exactly like how the written instructions said it would. It flashed 3 times to confirm the 7 auto blink setting, and 2 times to confirm the 5 auto blink setting.

Last edited by GNS; 02-16-22 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fizzboy7 (02-16-22)
Old 02-16-22, 05:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Thank you both for taking the time to post the notes and video. I will give it a go!
Old 02-21-22, 07:54 PM
Brian55534
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Spark plug torque: 13 ft.lbs
Do you happen to know if that’s the same for the is250?
Old 02-23-22, 10:03 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Is the shift **** physically connected to transmission? If I rest my hand on it for long periods while driving will I cause slight wear on the transmission?
Old 02-24-22, 09:28 AM
Esco250
Driver School Candidate

I like the grill on my 15 IS250 base. What bothers me is the lower "mesh" part. On all other Lexus models of the same years don't have it. Anyone know if the lower part from another Lexus would fit? I've tried looking for an aftermarket but no luck.
Old 02-24-22, 09:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Is the shift **** physically connected to transmission? If I rest my hand on it for long periods while driving will I cause slight wear on the transmission?
It's a cable-operated gear selector, so, in theory, there is a physical connection. Unless you're really putting weight on it, I wouldn't worry. For me, I occasionally rest my hand on it, with my elbow on the armrest.

Originally Posted by Esco250
I like the grill on my 15 IS250 base. What bothers me is the lower "mesh" part. On all other Lexus models of the same years don't have it. Anyone know if the lower part from another Lexus would fit? I've tried looking for an aftermarket but no luck.
What do you want the lower part to look like? Just off the bat, I doubt you could simply pilfer the lower grille opening from an ES, for example. The cars across the lineup all have differently-styled front fascias.
Old 02-24-22, 09:55 AM
Esco250
Driver School Candidate

On the 17 base, the grill style looks the same all the way down. I like the straight opening as opposed to the mesh look. I just wanted to know if there was an alternative for the lower part. I've seen previous posts where OP is looking to change the whole grill.
Old 02-24-22, 10:01 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

On the 17 base, the grill style looks the same all the way down. I like the straight opening as opposed to the mesh look. I just wanted to know if there was an alternative for the lower part. I've seen previous posts where OP is looking to change the whole grill.
Gotcha. I am not aware of anything like that off-hand but hopefully some owners can chime in if this has been done.
Old 02-24-22, 01:08 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

​​​​​​I know exactly what you mean. The lower mesh bothers me too. I searched for aftermarket grill options for a long time and never found anything for our cars.

It did cross my mind at one point, but I don't want to do an F Sport bumper swap as I actually really like the base bumper. I'm just not in love with the grill being mismatched.
Old 02-24-22, 03:03 PM
hscott771
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear light tint installation help

Originally Posted by E46CT
As everyone has different levels of car/3IS knowledge, I thought this may be helpful where people such as new and old owners alike can ask casual questions about their 3IS, maintenance, operation, service, etc. without feeling like they're asking dumb questions. Anything at all! There are no dumb questions (within reason of course).

Anyone with knowledge of course is welcome to help answer peoples questions as all of us don't know all the answers. We all have to learn somehow. Just make sure it's solid information. =)

So how about it, any very basic/simple or "dumb" 3IS questions you've always wondered about? Such as what's this light for? What's this button do? What happens when you ____?

Hello all, has anyone installed the Lamin-X rear marker covers on their 3is? They don't come with any instructions, they dont have any videos on their website (only fog light install), and I dont see any on youtube from the community.

link:
https://lamin-x.com/lexus-is-17-20-r...er-covers.html

Maybe I am over thinking this but it is a lot of pieces (5) for a single light lol

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!