IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22 | 06:41 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The 2GR-FSE spark plug torque is 13 ft-lbs...most Toyota/Lexus are 13 ft-lbs, but you are correct that the old 2IS was 18...odd isn't it?!
Great to see you back on the forum! I wished you a happy birthday on Facebook, but you aren't on it, it seems, so Happy Birthday!!
Old 12-11-22 | 07:55 AM
dnsis
3rd Gear

Default New to me IS F sport

I've wanted an IS for the past few years and am finally about to purchase. I'm torn between 2 I've found and was hoping for insight and opinions.

16 is 300 F sport AWD with 37k miles on it, slightly overpriced but only 1-2 owners. It has all the options I'd want, especially the ML audio. I don't crank my music up excessively but I do love to listen to all types of music. I've read that if you find one with the Levinson audio package, to take it.

20 is 350 F sport AWD with 17k mi. But no ML audio. Lexus certified which of course would come with warranty and this vehicle is only $6500 more than the 4 year older is 300.

was planning to chip the 300 if i go with it to undetune the engine to it's intended 350 power. I know Lexus is a rock solid vehicle (Can't wait to have one!) so the warranty doesn't really scream something i need, especially with such a low mileage newer car, but it does feel good knowing it's there. I prefer the newer style with the headlights and interior but still contemplating the older low mileage with the options.

any insight or opinions will be welcome reads. thank you so much!

Last edited by dnsis; 12-11-22 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-11-22 | 08:14 AM
iamcc88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dnsis
I've wanted an IS for the past few years and am finally about to purchase. I'm torn between 2 I've found and was hoping for insight and opinions.

16 is 300 F sport AWD with 37k miles on it, slightly overpriced but only 1-2 owners. It has all the options I'd want, especially the ML audio. I don't crank my music up excessively but I do love to listen to all types of music. I've read that if you find one with the Levinson audio package, to take it.

20 is 350 F sport AWD with 17k mi. Lexus certified which of course would come with warranty and this vehicle is only $6500 more than the 4 year older is 300.

was planning to chip the 300 if i go with it to undetune the engine to it's intended 350 power. I know Lexus is a rock solid vehicle (Can't wait to have one!) so the warranty doesn't really scream something i need, especially with such a low mileage newer car, but it does feel good knowing it's there. I prefer the newer style with the headlights and interior but still contemplating the older low mileage with the options.

Personally I think the extra cost is worth it for the newer one unless it doesn’t have ML audio. I would not buy a Lexus without that.
Old 12-11-22 | 10:46 AM
GNS
Intermediate

20 is 350 F sport AWD with 17k mi. But no ML audio. Lexus certified which of course would come with warranty and this vehicle is only $6500 more than the 4 year older is 300.

I think I would pick the 20 IS350 AWD F-Sport even without the Mark Levinson. Lower mileage, Lexus CPO, 4 years newer and has the updated styling with the squared exhaust tips and diffuser. I think the interior trim is also a little nicer in that it's a dark aluminum-looking plastic instead of the silver-ish trim, which also looks good but the darker trim. Taillights are also a different design. Check to see if this one has the triple beam LEDs, which became an option for the 2019 - 2020 model years.
Old 12-11-22 | 03:12 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The 2GR-FSE spark plug torque is 13 ft-lbs...most Toyota/Lexus are 13 ft-lbs, but you are correct that the old 2IS was 18...odd isn't it?!
Thanks for clarifying. it is odd and that is exactly why I asked. I've changed them a few times on my 2IS but never had to do it on any of my 3IS. I read that it said 13 but seemed strange they were different.
Old 12-11-22 | 08:40 PM
ronkelley
Racer

--

Maybe it's just my lack of sophistication, but when I listen to the stock radio on my '15 IS, I'm thrilled. And that's when I'm just sitting outside my garage because I get better reception (if I'm on SiriusXM). I don't need no sinkin' fancy ML speakers! And when I'm driving, I don't know that the difference in quality would be noticeable.

Of course, when the top is down, some quality is lost anyway.

--
Old 12-11-22 | 09:16 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

Maybe it's just my lack of sophistication, but when I listen to the stock radio on my '15 IS, I'm thrilled. And that's when I'm just sitting outside my garage because I get better reception (if I'm on SiriusXM). I don't need no sinkin' fancy ML speakers! And when I'm driving, I don't know that the difference in quality would be noticeable.

Of course, when the top is down, some quality is lost anyway.

--
I had the base audio in my 2016, and it was not bad by any means. I think you need the Mark Levinson if you are listening to high-quality audio and you want to impress your friends or something, but the base audio is more than serviceable.

Maybe I am biased now that I have ML in my 2021, but I think it'd be hard to go back to a base system. Took my mother-in-law out shopping today and she was jamming in the passenger seat on the way home. lol
Old 12-11-22 | 09:39 PM
ronkelley
Racer

[QUOTE=arentz07;
Took my mother-in-law out shopping today and she was jamming in the passenger seat on the way home. lol[/QUOTE]

--
Hmmm. Probably smart to put someone like that in the back seat.
--
Old 12-12-22 | 11:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

On one hand i'd get the 2020 (over the 2016) for the updated (safety wise) body alone. Plus i think the 2020 got the revised front suspension if i'm not mistaken. i like newer stuff so I'd go newer. so i'd probably pick the newer one.

though I do like the original design (2014-2016) visually. But only if left stock, with the exception of a mild mild drop (an inch or so) Basically my 2016 F Sport I miss that car. and it's already almost 7 years since I experienced it new. here it is brand new less than 200 miles on it. though i don't remember if it's the stock height here. i'm pretty sure it is.

Old 12-12-22 | 01:50 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

I'm perfectly happy with the stock system in my 16 IS. It's all subjective, of course.
Old 12-16-22 | 07:51 AM
dnsis
3rd Gear

thanks for your input folks!! i was going to go newer but the dealership reached out to me before i made the 2 hour trip saying it had just been sold the other night. so i went 2 hours the other direction for the 2016. the ML audio is nice, but i feel like it doesn't show it's true performance until almost max volume. jmo. Was really wanting the 2020, but am enjoying the one i got. Glad to finally join the Lex fam. Next step, chip, to utilize the engine fully.
The following 2 users liked this post by dnsis:
arentz07 (12-16-22), Jazzrock (12-29-22)
Old 12-16-22 | 07:33 PM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

thanks for your input folks!! i was going to go newer but the dealership reached out to me before i made the 2 hour trip saying it had just been sold the other night. so i went 2 hours the other direction for the 2016. the ML audio is nice, but i feel like it doesn't show it's true performance until almost max volume. jmo. Was really wanting the 2020, but am enjoying the one i got. Glad to finally join the Lex fam. Next step, chip, to utilize the engine fully.
An OBD chip won’t do jack for your engine utilization.
Old 12-16-22 | 07:45 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by ScytheDC
An OBD chip won’t do jack for your engine utilization.
???

I think, or I hope, they meant an ECU tune. Though it's good to clarify that.
Old 12-17-22 | 07:26 AM
dnsis
3rd Gear

yeah my b. of course i meant the tune. duh.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (12-17-22)
Old 12-29-22 | 06:19 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Have been looking for a video or how to on changing the differential and transfer case FLUID on a 2014 AWD IS350 F-SPORT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (12-29-22)

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!