IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 08:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by PersianOne
They work, just seems a little low on output to me. Maybe I'll get around to installing some fog lights instead.
From what I remember they weren't that bright. Hows the condition of your headlights? you can try polishing them for best light output results.
Old 03-29-23, 04:04 PM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
From what I remember they weren't that bright. Hows the condition of your headlights? you can try polishing them for best light output results.
​​​​​​​Pretty clean, not any build up or anything like that. They work fine and as intended, just wish they were a tad brighter. Compared to my g37, which once you turn on the high beams, they give a significant light output, my 350's seem to only give a smidget more.
Old 03-30-23, 04:06 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
When you change the battery, does the maintenance interval get reset?

Just curious because I always just took a picture of my mileage when I changed it before so I would know exactly when I did it. But last time I decided to just use the trip odometer. My battery was getting weak, so I swapped it out and my trip odometer reset to zero.
Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I'm fairly sure it does.
Originally Posted by Sasnuke
When you change the battery the Trip A and B will be reset to 0.
Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
What about the maintenance intervals?
Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Those as well.
I just wanted to circle back around to this. I don't think it resets the maintenance interval. I changed my spark plugs a little while ago and had the battery unplugged for a bit while I did it. It did reset my trip A and B, but the maintenance reminder just popped up saying it's coming up soon but I only have 1,500 miles on my trip odometer since I replaced the plugs.

Unfortunately I just replaced the battery on my Tundra and did the same thing and forgot where I stand on that oil change as well. I guess I will just go ahead do both for peace of mind.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 03-30-23 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-02-23, 09:01 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
That is what Sport mode is designed to do. If the transmission has 8th gear engaged at lower speeds, the engine will be spinning at low RPM. Lower RPM means less power available to you. If you've selected Sport mode, you are asking the car to give you enhanced performance - and being at a very low RPM is not good for performance.

So, to answer your question, no. The car is working as intended! Just enjoy it.
one of the reasons I asked is that I had a 2017 GS 350 F sport that did go into 8th gear. I assumed the transmission would be the same.
Old 04-02-23, 03:18 PM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if the trunk dimensions are the same from a 2014 is350 to a present day is350? I want to get the trunk spoiler on the newer is350's and put it on my 2014 model but I'm not sure if it would fit.
Old 04-02-23, 05:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
one of the reasons I asked is that I had a 2017 GS 350 F sport that did go into 8th gear. I assumed the transmission would be the same.
The transmission is the same, but it's possible some software differences have been introduced since the 2017 GS.
I still think it's normal, though.
Old 04-02-23, 05:33 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

How long are front brake pads and rotors lasting on the IS350?
Old 04-06-23, 03:34 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Question on GS/RC Lower Cntrl Arm BUSHINGS

Hi, time for another dumb, stupid, question, but would appreciate responses & comments nonetheless...

1) finally got the GS/RC lower control arm BUSHINGS installed on an is350 fSport rwd & just wondering - am i supposed to FEEL a difference when driving - what do you FEEL that's different?

2) is it necessary to get an Alignment ASAP even if i got one around ~1,500 miles ago? (Reasoning is based on the arms get moved around / lowered / raised when trying to install the bushings).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-06-23 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 03:44 PM
Zoomzoom1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got these maybe a couple months ago and I did not feel anything different. I was expecting a drastic change. I was seriously contemplating if the ones I purchased were just OEM bushings for the IS...
Old 04-06-23, 03:46 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zoomzoom1
I got these maybe a couple months ago and I did not feel anything different. I was expecting a drastic change. I was seriously contemplating if the ones I purchased were just OEM bushings for the IS...
You don't know if you got the GS/RC ones... can you post the part #s you got?

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-06-23 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-17-23, 10:36 AM
MRM4
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I briefly owned a '06 IS350 several years ago. I sold it. One thing I didn't like about the car was the different size tires on the front and the back. I understand the current gen IS's are the same way. How do you manage the wear of the tires when they can't be rotated without putting on hard tires or driving like a grandmother?
Old 04-17-23, 10:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by MRM4
I briefly owned a '06 IS350 several years ago. I sold it. One thing I didn't like about the car was the different size tires on the front and the back. I understand the current gen IS's are the same way. How do you manage the wear of the tires when they can't be rotated without putting on hard tires or driving like a grandmother?
You simply maintain tire pressures and replace as needed. There is no other option other than swapping to a square setup (i.e., both front and rear tires and wheels are the same size). You could also shop based on tire wear characteristics. For instance, I wouldn't buy some Pirelli P Zero tires if I was considering wear as my top priority - I'd probably go with some Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires instead.

Square setups are pretty common on these cars, for what it is worth.
Old 04-17-23, 11:35 AM
MRM4
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
You simply maintain tire pressures and replace as needed. There is no other option other than swapping to a square setup (i.e., both front and rear tires and wheels are the same size). You could also shop based on tire wear characteristics. For instance, I wouldn't buy some Pirelli P Zero tires if I was considering wear as my top priority - I'd probably go with some Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires instead.

Square setups are pretty common on these cars, for what it is worth.
I was thinking if I got another one I'd want the same size on both ends, if that was even feasible. I'm assuming the front wheels will work on the rear and not vice versa?
Old 04-17-23, 12:17 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I got my 2016 IS200t in base trim (non f-sport), and it comes with square setup on all four corners from factory, I could rotate front and back and even though I changed to aftermarket wheels not long after getting the car, I decided on square setup as rotating tires was impt to me.

Originally Posted by MRM4
Old 04-17-23, 01:19 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

If tires have "OUTSIDE" stamped on them it's OK to swap them from one side to the other, which doesn't do a helluva lot, but the fact that they're now rotating in the opposite direction has a tiny impact / effect.

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-17-23 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!