IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 03:16 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Rotating tires mostly just spreads the wear to all 4 tires instead of just two. Braking west, cornering wear, acceleration wear.

Also I’d be at least a little concerned about liability in case there was a crash deemed to be caused by loss of traction. If you fishtail causing a crash on tires more narrow than were the approved size originally fitted to your car, your insurance might try to deny coverage. “Was the car modified?” is a question insurance companies will ask.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (04-17-23)
Old 04-17-23, 03:53 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MRM4
I briefly owned a '06 IS350 several years ago. I sold it. One thing I didn't like about the car was the different size tires on the front and the back. I understand the current gen IS's are the same way. How do you manage the wear of the tires when they can't be rotated without putting on hard tires or driving like a grandmother?
--

As suggested, you can rotate side to side. This helps keep the wear even on the two same size tires. A rear drive will often wear the right rear tire faster as it is the more unweighted side under power and has less pavement traction. But who says you have to change the front and rear at the same time? You'll be going into the tire shop for a rebalance of your tires every 5,000 miles or so anyway, so you can just get the two you need at that time.

--
Old 04-17-23, 04:10 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ronkelley
... who says you have to change the front and rear at the same time? You'll be going into the tire shop for a rebalance of your tires every 5,000 miles or so anyway, so you can just get the two you need at that time.
NOT being facetious but it's weird some drivers don't know this. Been buying new tires ONLY in PAIRS, rotating Bridgestone &/or Michelin, over DECADES of car ownership, over ~5 different cars. However, the better tread pair should ALWAYS go on the rear, but this described practice can sometimes be challenging with a staggered set up.
Old 04-17-23, 06:23 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by MRM4
I was thinking if I got another one I'd want the same size on both ends, if that was even feasible. I'm assuming the front wheels will work on the rear and not vice versa?
Yes. The rears would be too wide to fit up front (easily).

However, the better tread pair should ALWAYS go on the rear, but this described practice can sometimes be challenging with a staggered set up.
Yep. Keeping more tread at the rear is best for safety in rain.
Old 04-18-23, 05:30 PM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it normal to have such a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear when in manual mode? My rpms won't even be that high yet the downshift is so harsh as to what I assume is the engine braking. Nothing sounds wrong, it just feels very sudden even when going slow and I make the shift from 2nd to 1st. Maybe it's just normal though.
Old 04-19-23, 06:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by PersianOne
Is it normal to have such a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear when in manual mode? My rpms won't even be that high yet the downshift is so harsh as to what I assume is the engine braking. Nothing sounds wrong, it just feels very sudden even when going slow and I make the shift from 2nd to 1st. Maybe it's just normal though.
Every 3IS with the 2GR engine I've driven has had a sudden/jerky downshift into 1st gear regardless of RPM. The only exception has been my IS 500, which doesn't have a buttery-smooth downshift, but it does properly rev-match, unlike my former IS 350.
I simply avoid downshifts into first.
PersianOne (04-19-23)
Old 04-20-23, 10:21 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After months of waiting and finally having our (me & wife) 2023 IS 500 build at port and reserved last week we had to sadly let it go. Budgeting for a new place, moving, and a baby on the way convinced us to settle on the IS 350 F Sport for now. I'm sure other first time parents can relate. I'm asking this question here regarding the panoramic view monitor option because my dealership isn't 100% sure regarding its configurations and unlike the 500 the 350 requires much more adding of options and accessories. Does the Panoramic View Monitor Option come with the larger 10in display (on its own) or is purchasing Navigation the only way to get the larger display?
Basically, Does Panoramic Option (without Navigation Package) = 8 or 10 in display?

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-20-23, 10:27 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by albertcado
After months of waiting and finally having our (me & wife) 2023 IS 500 build at port and reserved last week we had to sadly let it go. Budgeting for a new place, moving, and a baby on the way convinced us to settle on the IS 350 F Sport for now. ...
@albertcado you mean cozza SAVINGS of around $10,000 +/- ? Wise Choice IMO.

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-20-23 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-20-23, 11:15 AM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
@albertcado you mean cozza SAVINGS of around $10,000 +/- ? Wise Choice IMO.
Yes yes will definitely be saving more than 10k and also with fuel efficiency. Currently driving a manual mustang gt and the cost on fuel is quite high especially with a lot of city driving. Do you by chance have any insight or knowledge on the question I had regarding the Panoramic View Monitor screen?
LaZeR (04-20-23)
Old 04-20-23, 07:26 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by PersianOne
--

Not sure how to describe it exactly, but the gear ratio of 1st gear is 4.60, 2nd is 2.72, 3rd is 1.86, 4th is 1.46, 5th is 1.23, 6th is 1.00. So you can see the spread between 1st and 2nd is quite high and as the gears go up numerically, the spread is much narrower. So the jump up, or resistance pull down, from a lower gear is much more likely to be felt and is much more of a jolt on the gears. Point here is you are putting a much more strain on the gears (and actually the whole drive train and tires) when you force a down shift manually.

Probably would not hurt it if it was done occasionally, but there's much more chance that continuing to do it could be harmful. I don't know what that number of times would be, but probably beating it like on a race course would be more taxing.

--
PersianOne (04-23-23)
Old 04-20-23, 08:07 PM
frid4
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by albertcado
After months of waiting and finally having our (me & wife) 2023 IS 500 build at port and reserved last week we had to sadly let it go. Budgeting for a new place, moving, and a baby on the way convinced us to settle on the IS 350 F Sport for now. I'm sure other first time parents can relate. I'm asking this question here regarding the panoramic view monitor option because my dealership isn't 100% sure regarding its configurations and unlike the 500 the 350 requires much more adding of options and accessories. Does the Panoramic View Monitor Option come with the larger 10in display (on its own) or is purchasing Navigation the only way to get the larger display?
Basically, Does Panoramic Option (without Navigation Package) = 8 or 10 in display?

Thanks in advance,
Only the nav package comes with the 10 in screen
Old 04-21-23, 06:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars

--

Not sure how to describe it exactly, but the gear ratio of 1st gear is 4.60, 2nd is 2.72, 3rd is 1.86, 4th is 1.46, 5th is 1.23, 6th is 1.00. So you can see the spread between 1st and 2nd is quite high and as the gears go up numerically, the spread is much narrower. So the jump up, or resistance pull down, from a lower gear is much more likely to be felt and is much more of a jolt on the gears. Point here is you are putting a much more strain on the gears (and actually the whole drive train and tires) when you force a down shift manually.

Probably would not hurt it if it was done occasionally, but there's much more chance that continuing to do it could be harmful. I don't know what that number of times would be, but probably beating it like on a race course would be more taxing.

--
Of note, if you are used to a Volkswagen DSG transmission or something like a ZF 8-speed (as in BMWs), you may be expecting a rev-matched down-shift into first gear. Rev-matching brings the RPMs of your engine up so that the "resistance pull down" isn't further magnified by the engine speed having to get pulled up. You won't get rev-matching into first gear in the IS 350/300 no matter whether it is RWD or AWD. One of the annoyances of those transmissions is that they seem to be inconsistent with how they rev-match - but one consistent point is that I've never seen a rev-matched shift into first, no matter what I was doing. (The one exception in the IS lineup is the IS 500, which has a different transmission.)
Old 04-21-23, 06:56 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

--

--
Playing GT7 and messing with car PP, this all makes sense to me. lol
Old 04-22-23, 03:39 PM
frid4
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

The F sport air filter from the 2015-2018 350 should fit in the 2023 350s air filter box since they're similar engines correct? Also would the 2023 also fit the air box lid with the graphic on it?

part # for filter PTR0353141AA
part # for upper air box lid PTR0353141AB

Old 04-22-23, 04:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by frid4
The F sport air filter from the 2015-2018 350 should fit in the 2023 350s air filter box since they're similar engines correct? Also would the 2023 also fit the air box lid with the graphic on it?

part # for filter PTR0353141AA
part # for upper air box lid PTR0353141AB
I would think so. Engine bay is virtually the same.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!