IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 01:28 PM
DS03
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcats98
Maybe I need to program the seat memory first. Ill give that a whirl.

I got out the manual so RTFM applies here. On page 117 of mine it indicates that you have to program the Reverse mirror angle while the car is in R and save it to the seat memory.
That's crazy! On all other cars that have this feature it's automatic when the vehicle is put into reverse and the side mirror is active. No programming involved.
Old 03-20-24, 09:51 AM
Bearcats98
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

2021 IS350 engine is still both port and direct?
Old 03-20-24, 10:07 AM
DS03
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

2021 IS350 engine is still both port and direct?
Yes. 2GR-FKS.
The following users liked this post:
Bearcats98 (03-20-24)
Old 04-01-24, 07:11 PM
Bearcats98
Driver

21 Fsport AWD. Black Chromed or regular paint? I like the color and rims are nice enough. Budget doesnt allow for new rims. Previous owner apparently parked using braille method. 😔
Old 04-02-24, 09:25 AM
Primordius
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to buy 2024 IS 350, is the F SPORT PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SYSTEM worth it CAD$2200? Or should I wait after warranty to buy an aftermarket like Borla?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-02-24, 02:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

21 Fsport AWD. Black Chromed or regular paint? I like the color and rims are nice enough. Budget doesnt allow for new rims. Previous owner apparently parked using braille method. 😔
It is black chrome if it is a US-market car. I think Canada gets metallic gray.

Most likely, it'll need to be re-chromed or else replaced. I think the cost of either option will be pretty high... might as well replace if you want them looking like new again.
Old 04-02-24, 02:49 PM
Bearcats98
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
It is black chrome if it is a US-market car. I think Canada gets metallic gray.

Most likely, it'll need to be re-chromed or else replaced. I think the cost of either option will be pretty high... might as well replace if you want them looking like new again.
I was afraid that was going to be the answer. US market. And since they are making it very hard for vendors to chrome; the cost to rechrome is pretty high and walks right into your statement. Oh well. Ill ride em out for now and when I come due Ill rerim/tire and use these as winters.
Old 04-02-24, 08:36 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. US market. And since they are making it very hard for vendors to chrome; the cost to rechrome is pretty high and walks right into your statement. Oh well. Ill ride em out for now and when I come due Ill rerim/tire and use these as winters.
There are wheel repair guys that work magic. I would call a few Lexus dealerships and ask the service guys what rim repair company they use to fix their cars. Usually some scrub will come out to your house for $150 or less, you'll be anxious but man, they won't be scrubs no more because some do amazing work with paint. They'll sand down the bad areas and repaint to match if you're looking for a cheap route.

I seen a guy do a BBS matte black wheel and I swear I couldn't tell a difference unless you took a flash light and looked 1' away, then you could barely see the paint difference.
The following users liked this post:
Dancingrobot (04-07-24)
Old 04-02-24, 08:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by prophecywhiteis500
There are wheel repair guys that work magic. I would call a few Lexus dealerships and ask the service guys what rim repair company they use to fix their cars. Usually some scrub will come out to your house for $150 or less, you'll be anxious but man, they won't be scrubs no more because some do amazing work with paint. They'll sand down the bad areas and repaint to match if you're looking for a cheap route.

I seen a guy do a BBS matte black wheel and I swear I couldn't tell a difference unless you took a flash light and looked 1' away, then you could barely see the paint difference.
I've been through trying to repair one of the dark chrome wheels, and it did not turn out well. It was very obvious. The chrome finish is like a mirror - no paint is going to be able to replicate that effect. I ended up getting it replaced. Thankfully the damage wasn't my fault, so the other party paid for it.
Old 04-02-24, 08:54 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I've been through trying to repair one of the dark chrome wheels, and it did not turn out well. It was very obvious. The chrome finish is like a mirror - no paint is going to be able to replicate that effect. I ended up getting it replaced. Thankfully the damage wasn't my fault, so the other party paid for it.
This is true but I figured it might be worth a shot asking the Lexus guys who they use for those type of wheels and see if the repair guy can do it for a cheap fix to hold him over. I'm not sold that Lexus just replaces every chrome like wheel that gets scuffed. As mentioned, a friend got a guy a lot of dealerships use around here and he "claims" he fixes all IS wheels.
Old 04-03-24, 07:11 AM
Bearcats98
Driver

Yes, there is a very good wheel shop near me. They do GREAT work (used before). However (isn't there always a "but"?) the caveat is that they don't do chroming of any kind due to licensing and EPA issues and he states that getting a proper finish was difficult from a quality perspective.

I like the color of OEM rims and shape is "ok". So for 200 a rim to get em back to stock was a cost Id spend. I dont like em enough to buy brand new. So I guess Ill start saving and when I have enough start looking for new rims.
Old 04-04-24, 02:46 AM
daily35
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who have a twisting sunshade and store them in the back pockets of the front seats, has it caused any stretching or deformation to those NuLuxe back pockets?
Old 04-04-24, 07:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by daily35
For those who have a twisting sunshade and store them in the back pockets of the front seats, has it caused any stretching or deformation to those NuLuxe back pockets?
I think I used to keep them in those pockets with my 2016 IS. As long as it's a pretty thin twisting shade like you'd get at Auto Zone, it should be fine.
Old 04-24-24, 09:34 AM
Gunner41
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mysterious sounds.

Here's my doozy. 2005 ES 330. 251K (Still going) Mysterious sound coming while sitting in the cab D seat. A low roar that can only be heard while in car. Thought it was the flex pipe so I took it to a muffler shop that does it regularly. No that wasn't it. Thought it was the exhaust seals. Replaced them and no difference. Checked for intake leak with carb cleaner. No response.
Thought it could of been P/S pump. No Squeal.
Sitting in the front seats the roar comes from directly behind the dash. You can hear it from the engine compartment. Just for giggles I popped the rear seat and tried to listen to the pump. Couldn't get to it. I listen to the lines under the car and head sounds from one of the four fuel lines. Wondering if the EVAP cannister was going bonkers but the car but according to what I found there are no symptoms of it being bad.
I took it to two more shops. Nope. Couldn't find it.
Any suggestions would be great ya'll.
OOps sorry yall. Wrong area. Not sure how to delete it.

Last edited by Gunner41; 04-24-24 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Wrong area
Old 04-24-24, 09:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Gunner41
Here's my doozy. 2005 ES 330. 251K (Still going) Mysterious sound coming while sitting in the cab D seat. A low roar that can only be heard while in car. Thought it was the flex pipe so I took it to a muffler shop that does it regularly. No that wasn't it. Thought it was the exhaust seals. Replaced them and no difference. Checked for intake leak with carb cleaner. No response.
Thought it could of been P/S pump. No Squeal.
Sitting in the front seats the roar comes from directly behind the dash. You can hear it from the engine compartment. Just for giggles I popped the rear seat and tried to listen to the pump. Couldn't get to it. I listen to the lines under the car and head sounds from one of the four fuel lines. Wondering if the EVAP cannister was going bonkers but the car but according to what I found there are no symptoms of it being bad.
I took it to two more shops. Nope. Couldn't find it.
Any suggestions would be great ya'll.
OOps sorry yall. Wrong area. Not sure how to delete it.
No problem! I think the area you want is here - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...1990-2006-179/

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!