IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18 | 04:10 PM
xMdoza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Where did you get that info?

I see no distinction in part #s/diagrams for AWD models with respect to the rotors. Unless I am missing something, you would simply be switching from 250 rotors and pads to 350 rotors and pads. AWD does not seem to specify its own rotors. Check my recent thread for part #s.

you would need to change your splash shields though. seems they have their own part #
I responded to you earlier, but I came across this post and is where I got confused.
I looked at your recent thread, I will be referencing those part #s.
Old 08-04-18 | 12:46 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by KBScooby
Also, the transmission whines in low gears. Is this normal?
Are you sure it's the transmission? A good way to check this would be to rev the car in neutral or park and see if the whine still can be heard. The V-6 engine has a characteristic sound in the GS, IS, and RC which some describe as a whine. If it's still audible in neutral, I am willing to bet there is nothing wrong with the car.

Last edited by arentz07; 08-06-18 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-04-18 | 09:48 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Where did you get that info?

I see no distinction in part #s/diagrams for AWD models with respect to the rotors. Unless I am missing something, you would simply be switching from 250 rotors and pads to 350 rotors and pads. AWD does not seem to specify its own rotors. Check my recent thread for part #s.

you would need to change your splash shields though. seems they have their own part #
Originally Posted by xMdoza
I responded to you earlier, but I came across this post and is where I got confused.
I looked at your recent thread, I will be referencing those part #s.
The AWD front rotors are different from the RWD front rotors.
This was established in a couple other threads.
@xMdoza...if you’re looking for part numbers, I have a spreadsheet for my 2014 250 that I used to convert to the 350...AWD of course.
Old 08-08-18 | 06:35 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

This was discussed before, but I forget where.
So dumb question. What are the flaps in front of each front wheel? I know not peculiar to the IS.

When I back out of a driveway with a slight slope to the street, my IS bottoms out apparently on these flaps. I am extremely careful with the low clearance, but every once and a while I have to back out of a driveway with a sloped apron. The lip is fine. Should I be concerned about any damage to the flaps?
Its only happened twice so far.
Old 08-08-18 | 06:38 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
So dumb question. What are the flaps in front of each front wheel? I know not peculiar to the IS.

When I back out of a driveway with a slight slope to the street, my IS bottoms out apparently on these flaps. I am extremely careful with the low clearance, but every once and a while I have to back out of a driveway with a sloped apron. The lip is fine. Should I be concerned about any damage to the flaps?
Yeah I started a thread on this and it came down to it’s for aerodynamics. You should be fine I’ve scraped them too a few times now but they seem pretty sturdy I don’t have any real damage to them. I just lowered my car so now I’ll really be scraping them more often we will see how long they hold up.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (08-08-18)
Old 08-08-18 | 09:47 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT

They're made out of very durable rubber. very flexible. you can crush them crash them scrape them all you want. very hard to destroy. and if you ever do, they're simple and cheap to replace. don't sweat it. the whole front of the car around the bottom is designed to be repeatedly bashed and smashed. as is with most cars.

and yeah they help deflect water and air from the tire path.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (08-08-18)
Old 08-09-18 | 10:19 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Is there an oil life/oil change reminder light that can be reset every time you change the oil on these cars? Can't find anything in the manual about it
Old 08-09-18 | 11:27 AM
daibunjau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Hey y'all,

Could anyone give me some recommendation for adjusting the rubber hangers holding the exhaust for a bit more separation on the passenger side. I believe this is causing a bit of a rattle when hitting some bumps/flex.

Did anyone add a flange gasket to their aftermarket systems?

Plan is to ask a friend to adjust/hold the exhaust tips while i tightening to bolts on the flange.. hopefully that can solve the height and rubbing issue.

What exhaust is that? Custom tips? If so, please tell me your whole exhaust setup and where you purchased. I've been looking for an exhaust for my 2018 RWD IS350 rear diffuser. Thanks.
Old 08-09-18 | 11:55 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
Is there an oil life/oil change reminder light that can be reset every time you change the oil on these cars? Can't find anything in the manual about it
On page 413:
■ Resetting the message indicating maintenance is required (For vehicle sold in U.S.A. and IS200t for Canada)

After the required maintenance is performed according to the maintenance schedule, please reset the message.
To reset the message, follow the procedure described below:
  1. While the engine is running, switch the multi-information display to the “Settings” screen. ( P. 81)
  2. Select “Scheduled Maintenance” on the “Settings” screen.
  3. Select “Yes” on the “Scheduled Maintenance” screen.

A message will be displayed when the reset procedure has been completed
That's just for the general required maintenance reminder. I think you can select individual items as well through the infotainment, but I don't recall offhand - might be in vehicle settings.
Old 08-09-18 | 01:14 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
On page 413:

That's just for the general required maintenance reminder. I think you can select individual items as well through the infotainment, but I don't recall offhand - might be in vehicle settings.
Thanks. So this is just an alert that goes off every 5k miles or whatever the service interval is? I was wondering if there was an actual oil life gauge like on a lot of cars that takes into account time, mileage, and engine operating characteristics. My Cadillac had one. It didn't just go off after a certain amount of miles
Old 08-09-18 | 01:27 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
Thanks. So this is just an alert that goes off every 5k miles or whatever the service interval is? I was wondering if there was an actual oil life gauge like on a lot of cars that takes into account time, mileage, and engine operating characteristics. My Cadillac had one. It didn't just go off after a certain amount of miles
I know that the required maintenance reminder is purely mileage-based. I don't think we have an oil life gauge.
Old 08-09-18 | 07:28 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I know that the required maintenance reminder is purely mileage-based. I don't think we have an oil life gauge.
Nope! We do not have an oil life gauge. I personally wouldn’t want one either because it’s stuck on whatever oil type the manufacturer recommends so my sisters Honda uses synthetic blend so if she were to use full synthetic the oil life gauge would go off based on synthetic blend regardless. Pretty useless. I rather do it at the mileage I want.
Old 08-10-18 | 10:55 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by daibunjau
What exhaust is that? Custom tips? If so, please tell me your whole exhaust setup and where you purchased. I've been looking for an exhaust for my 2018 RWD IS350 rear diffuser. Thanks.
This is a RC axel back quad exhaust system.. It only looks okay because of the newer diffuser. Be aware that the tips are not the same size (inner tips are larger than the outer). Take a look into the Tanabe and Apexi exhausts for probably a better flow of exhaust tips...

Overall sound is great though, no drone..
Old 08-10-18 | 01:23 PM
daibunjau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
This is a RC axel back quad exhaust system.. It only looks okay because of the newer diffuser. Be aware that the tips are not the same size (inner tips are larger than the outer). Take a look into the Tanabe and Apexi exhausts for probably a better flow of exhaust tips...

Overall sound is great though, no drone..
Thanks. The Tanabe exhaust looks nice, but sounds almost like stock. The Apexi exhaust seems like it would be too droney.
Old 08-11-18 | 12:34 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Would anyone know if you can order a new oem front bumper tow hook cover in the same color as the color? Or does it all come in black or unpainted?
I try to look up the part and the part# but it does not show the color or anything.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!