IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HomeLink Garage Programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 04:38 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Default HomeLink Garage Programming

I have 2 garage door openers, both 1/2 HP Liftmaster Professionals (guessing from 2003-2004?). I have a universal 3-button garage door remote as well that I previously programmed for both doors and it works fine (ie. each garage door is programmed and working using the remote)

With my new 2018 IS350, I first cleared HomeLink on the rear view mirror by holding the first and 3rd buttons. Then I tried programming HomeLink for my garage doors and was able to get one door programmed doing this:

1. Holding the appropriate remote button 1-3 inches away from the rear view mirror along with holding the button I want programmed on the mirror
2. HomeLink light changes from flashing orange to rapidly blinking green, within 5 seconds
3. I go to the actual garage door motor, climb the ladder, then press the "Learn" button
4. I go back in the car and hit that button on the mirror I want programmed a few times
5. After 2-3 presses, the garage door opens and can closes using that newly programmed button

I try doing the same thing for my other garage door, but the HomeLink light never changes from flashing orange to blinking green for that button I want programmed on the mirror. I tried the sequence above multiple times, but it never changed to a blinking green... just kept flashing orange. I even pulled my car directly in front of that garage door to see if that would help, but nothing happened.

Why doesn't it work or what am I doing wrong? I'm doing that same exact thing for the same exact garage door opener.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-18, 12:47 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you using the liftmaster remotes to program or the universal ones? I found when I tried programming mine it didn't work with the universal but worked just fine with the original remote.
Old 07-05-18, 01:06 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

When I bought the house, I didn't get the original remotes that came with the garage doors. I have an older Corolla without HomeLink so I bought a Chamberlain universal 3-button remote I think from Lowes? (Link Here). Back in the day I programmed the primary (big) button and the second button for each of my garage doors and currently they open/close the garages fine.

I successfully programmed the garage door that corresponds to the primary (big) button on the universal remote for my HomeLink button #2. However, for my HomeLink button #1 (or #3 for that matter), I can't seem to get the remote button and the HomeLink button's to connect for the other garage door. When I hold down the remote's second button along with the HomeLink button #1 and have the remote 1-3 inches away from the mirror, the blinking orange light never changes to a rapidly blinking green. It just stays blinking orange.

Last edited by unioncorps; 07-05-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 01:29 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had trouble before using remotes to program Homelink. I am currently living in my fourth house since getting my car. If I couldn't get the opener to program using the actual remote, I'd use the opener motor itself - always worked. Try the second door using only the opener itself, no remote.
Old 07-05-18, 01:37 PM
BULLITT1
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

CHECK THIS WEBSITE, IT MAY HAVE THE INFO YOU NEED.
http://www.homelink.com/lexus
Old 07-05-18, 05:27 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I've had trouble before using remotes to program Homelink. I am currently living in my fourth house since getting my car. If I couldn't get the opener to program using the actual remote, I'd use the opener motor itself - always worked. Try the second door using only the opener itself, no remote.
I'm assuming you mean just going to the garage motor itself, getting on a ladder and pressing the "Learn" button then getting back in the car to press/hold the HomeLink button on the mirror. I've tried that but it didn't work. Did you do something different to get it to work for your car?

Originally Posted by BULLITT1
CHECK THIS WEBSITE, IT MAY HAVE THE INFO YOU NEED.
http://www.homelink.com/lexus
Thanks Bullitt, I've reviewed those training videos and it's the same process as I did. With the handheld garage remote, HomeLink programming worked for one garage door but not the other (although both are the same models) and I'm not sure why.
Old 07-05-18, 05:57 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I'm assuming you mean just going to the garage motor itself, getting on a ladder and pressing the "Learn" button then getting back in the car to press/hold the HomeLink button on the mirror. I've tried that but it didn't work. Did you do something different to get it to work for your car?
No, that’s what I did. I had one opener that I could’ve swore wasn’t gonna work. Have you cleared everything and tried using only the openers (with ladders) to program both? I just can’t imagine that it won’t work.
Old 07-05-18, 06:49 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by doodlebug

No, that’s what I did. I had one opener that I could’ve swore wasn’t gonna work. Have you cleared everything and tried using only the openers (with ladders) to program both? I just can’t imagine that it won’t work.

I've cleared the HomeLink settings before I began. After pressing the "Learn" button on the opener, I think you have like 30 seconds to finish the programming. When you went back to your car, what exactly did you do on the HomeLink mirror?

For the garage door that actually works correctly with HomeLink, I initially tried to program without using my handheld remote and was unsuccessful. I pressed the "Learn" button on the opener, then ran back to the car. I then pressed the button I want to program in 1 second intervals after returning to the car, but it seems all I'm doing is turning off and on the HomeLink learning (ie. flashing orange light on the mirror). I've also pressed and held the HomeLink button I want programmed for a few seconds as well, but it seemed to do the same thing - I'm not sure if I'm holding it long enough? Then I tried using my remote to program following the steps I wrote out in my first post and it worked, at least for that opener.

Now as far as the other garage, I just tried to program also without using the remote following above. Didn't work.

Appreciate your help man - it's just getting frustrating because it shouldn't be this difficult. I know both openers I have are rolling code ones.
Old 07-06-18, 05:10 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I've cleared the HomeLink settings before I began. After pressing the "Learn" button on the opener, I think you have like 30 seconds to finish the programming. When you went back to your car, what exactly did you do on the HomeLink mirror?

For the garage door that actually works correctly with HomeLink, I initially tried to program without using my handheld remote and was unsuccessful. I pressed the "Learn" button on the opener, then ran back to the car. I then pressed the button I want to program in 1 second intervals after returning to the car, but it seems all I'm doing is turning off and on the HomeLink learning (ie. flashing orange light on the mirror). I've also pressed and held the HomeLink button I want programmed for a few seconds as well, but it seemed to do the same thing - I'm not sure if I'm holding it long enough? Then I tried using my remote to program following the steps I wrote out in my first post and it worked, at least for that opener.

Now as far as the other garage, I just tried to program also without using the remote following above. Didn't work.

Appreciate your help man - it's just getting frustrating because it shouldn't be this difficult. I know both openers I have are rolling code ones.
After hitting the learn button I got back in my car and held the button on the mirror for 2 seconds, let go, press and hold for 2 seconds, leg go, press and hold for 2 seconds, let go. This is three times in one cycle. It may take a couple of these "cycles of three".

The rental house I'm currently living in didn't have any remotes. I had no choice but to program it this way.
Sometimes I've been able to program it with the car outside of the garage. I had to have my car inside the garage for this one.

Side note - our last house that we built brand new came with builder grade openers and the the main board started to go out on that thing in two years, we had to replace it. That's always a possibility.

Good luck. Believe me, I know how frustrating this task can be.
Old 07-06-18, 06:35 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Thanks Doodlebug, I'll try that out to see if it works.

I'll also try other things that other folks have tried when they were having difficulties syncing HomeLink with their openers - not sure if anyone knows if these were confirmed to work:

1. Replace garage remote's battery (I think the battery is OK, but I'll swap out to see if it makes a difference)

2. When trying to have HomeLink detect the handheld remote signal, click the remote button multiple times (vs. pressing and holding the button) as if I were using the remote to open/close the garage door. I've read that some remotes may stop sending the signal to the opener after the button is pressed longer than a second or two for battery saving purposes.

3. Literally hold the remote and touch the mirror housing itself to see if that will help with the learning of the signal

4. Remove the visor clip on my handheld remote when trying to program. Maybe that metal visor clip interferes with the signal somehow, preventing it to pair or sync for whatever reason. Not sure if this really would do anything, since I was able to successfully program one of my garage doors with the visor clip still on the remote but it's worth a try.

I'll report back what I find out.
Old 07-06-18, 12:15 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Outside chance the opener that is not taking the signal is "full" having been programmed
to accept more opener pairings than the one that is cooperative? Hold the "learn" button
for 10-15 seconds to clear it out and start over. This will mean the outside keypad, your
other car, the Harley and/or lawnmower, the car that is off at College.
Old 07-07-18, 07:19 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Results from what I tried below...

Thanks Doodlebug, I'll try that out to see if it works.

I'll also try other things that other folks have tried when they were having difficulties syncing HomeLink with their openers - not sure if anyone knows if these were confirmed to work:

1. Replace garage remote's battery (I think the battery is OK, but I'll swap out to see if it makes a difference) - Did not help, still didn't work.

2. When trying to have HomeLink detect the handheld remote signal, click the remote button multiple times (vs. pressing and holding the button) as if I were using the remote to open/close the garage door. I've read that some remotes may stop sending the signal to the opener after the button is pressed longer than a second or two for battery saving purposes. - Tried this and the blinking orange light on the mirror stayed blinking orange.

3. Literally hold the remote and touch the mirror housing itself to see if that will help with the learning of the signal - Made no difference, still didn't work.

4. Remove the visor clip on my handheld remote when trying to program. Maybe that metal visor clip interferes with the signal somehow, preventing it to pair or sync for whatever reason. Not sure if this really would do anything, since I was able to successfully program one of my garage doors with the visor clip still on the remote but it's worth a try. - Made no difference, still didn't work.

Another thing I tried was clicking on the "Learn" button on the garage opener, then pressed/held the HomeLink button for 2 seconds multiple times. That didn't work for me.

I'll report back what I find out.
BUT I DID MANAGE TO GET IT WORKING... after some time:

So... what DIDwork for me got me thinking about the handheld remote itself. The remote is a 3-button Chamberlain 953EV. Since I was able to program one of the garage doors using the remote with HomeLink, I wondered maybe HomeLink only understood the primary/main button of the remote and not the other 2 buttons. Here's what I did:

1. On the remote, I reprogrammed the primary/main button to the garage door that I don't have programmed on HomeLink.
2. I performed the same steps to program HomeLink when I first started and I got the blinking orange to turn to rapidly flashing green!
3. Got on the ladder and clicked the "Learn" button on that garage door opener
4. Pressed/held the HomeLink button I wanted configured and the garage door was now synced
5. I reprogrammed that primary/main button on the remote back to the other garage door, as I had it before

Apparently, even though the remote is able to open/close my garage doors specifically using button 1 (primary/main) and 2, HomeLink was only able to detect the signal from button 1 and no others for some reason. I'm guessing HomeLink was designed to work with independent and separate garage door remotes vs. a single one controlling multiple doors?

Thanks to everyone's help and assistance!

Last edited by unioncorps; 07-07-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 07:35 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
Are you using the liftmaster remotes to program or the universal ones? I found when I tried programming mine it didn't work with the universal but worked just fine with the original remote.
Another thought to try another remaining memory location since it needs to control only 2 doors.
Old 07-27-18, 09:39 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

^ Yep, did that as well and had previously experienced the same problem. I had started from scratch and cleared the memory from my cars along with the garage opener motors themselves. I also removed the casing of the garage door remote and left it off, tried to re-program following the same steps as noted above and for some reason it worked as it should of the first time around (ie. programming with that second button on the remote).

Not sure why it worked this time around, but everything is good now. Perhaps clearing all memory across the board (cars and garage motors) removed any other conflicts that apparently was present.
Old 11-19-18, 02:37 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Nothing worked for me until I googled and found this..... worked on first try.

had to press and hold homelink button and a garage door opener at the same time until the homelink button flashed AFTER THAT.... I ALSO HAD to put my garage door opener in learn mode, walk to car and press homelink button for 2 sec., pause, 2 sec........ worked.

I kept trying one or other other..... the key was to do both methods consecutively

Quick Reply: HomeLink Garage Programming