IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 11:53 AM
apod
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acceleration problems

My 2015 IS250 with 21000 miles isn't accelerating properly and consistently. Some days it's fine, so I know how it normally accelerates, but some days it's completely off. It happens mostly at complete spots, when I press on the gas it won't move forward. After a few seconds, it's like the car realizes I'm pressing on the pedal and it jerks forward. From then, acceleration is choppy and still has a slight hesitation.

I'm reading other threads about the same problem but it's mostly on older cars with much more miles. Many of the reasons and answers are things that shouldn't be happening on a 3 year old car with low miles. I'm also not the first owner. After buying the car, I was able to get access to the car's service history and the previous owner complain of the same issue. Lexus dealer scanned the car then for any DTCS and none were found and they couldn't duplicate the problem during the road test and said the car is operating as designed.

I thought it might be the gas I'm using, so I only fill up premium and at new gas stations, but that didn't fix it. It also seems to happen after a longer period of driving comparred to my usual commute. Longer as in about 30 min. (My usual work commute is 5-15 min. ) After the 30 min ride, when I start the car back up to go home, it usually starts acting up then. It accelerates like this for a few days and randomly goes back to normal.

Has anyone had this problem and/or what is the cause so that I can fix it?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-18, 12:06 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I would request to ride with the tech so you can show him what you perceive to be a problem. Hard to say over the internet. As you say you only have 21k miles so there's not much to get dirty/clogged etc to cause that.

The only thing I'd suspect would be a sticking throttle plate so if you're handy with tools, it may come down to inspecting stuff yourself. Wouldn't hurt to check the air filter too since it's easy to inspect. Make sure there's not a dead mouse in there or something.
Old 07-05-18, 07:58 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by apod
My 2015 IS250 with 21000 miles isn't accelerating properly and consistently. Some days it's fine, so I know how it normally accelerates, but some days it's completely off. It happens mostly at complete spots, when I press on the gas it won't move forward. After a few seconds, it's like the car realizes I'm pressing on the pedal and it jerks forward. From then, acceleration is choppy and still has a slight hesitation.

I'm reading other threads about the same problem but it's mostly on older cars with much more miles. Many of the reasons and answers are things that shouldn't be happening on a 3 year old car with low miles. I'm also not the first owner. After buying the car, I was able to get access to the car's service history and the previous owner complain of the same issue. Lexus dealer scanned the car then for any DTCS and none were found and they couldn't duplicate the problem during the road test and said the car is operating as designed.

I thought it might be the gas I'm using, so I only fill up premium and at new gas stations, but that didn't fix it. It also seems to happen after a longer period of driving comparred to my usual commute. Longer as in about 30 min. (My usual work commute is 5-15 min. ) After the 30 min ride, when I start the car back up to go home, it usually starts acting up then. It accelerates like this for a few days and randomly goes back to normal.

Has anyone had this problem and/or what is the cause so that I can fix it?

Thanks!
same like my old 2nd Gen IS250 AWD, when i press the gas pedal slowly the car jerks forward, 1st 2nd 3rd gears, smooth at 5th 6th gears though, 4th gear fell little hard but not noticeable . sometimes car won't go for seconds like you described. i changed and filled Transmission fluid 5 times it got better but jerking still there it worst when the car's fully warm, i traded in for 2011 IS350 AWD, same thing on the IS350 AWD 1st and 2nd gear, 4-5-6 were smooth but it only jerk forward when i drive like an old man slow n relax.

around year half ago i traded them in for a 3rd Gen IS350 AWD F-sport, i do feel 2nd gear jerks as well so i thought these LExus IS series car built like this, when i 1st got the car i drove smooth slow and relax and i do feel the 2nd gear and 3rd little harsh, so i told myself Fck it lets drive like a Man, if the car break down buy another......by driving like a moron for around 10 months now the GEAR SHIFTING is smooth out and i did not change transmission fluid on the 3rd Gen IS350 AWD F-sport, now i use Manual shifting gear almost everyday and put in D when listen to music , not so long ago i heard my brother was talking about Transmission Valve body stuck open, he told me sometimes i gotta drive the car hard and rough and use manual shifting to flush out the fluids from valve body, i wasn't sure and didn't believe, i don't know bro, just this will give you a HINT as i know Lexus IS Transmission is not smooth for 6 speeds Automatic, they'll not gonna die just annoying with jerking and jump forward, here the IS250 Transmission valve body and welcome to the Forum bro PS: your car is still under warranty, book an appointment and tell the tech, they might as well fix or replace your defect transmission, good luck.

Last edited by Solara350; 07-05-18 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 09:10 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If there is no pending codes history codes or current codes there’s nothing techs can do. I do know if the throttle body plate was moved open with power on engine off it will throw the calibration off, so to reset this is to remove all EFI fuses and leave off for 10 mins, and ETBC fuse. This will reset anything throttle fuel related. Good luck. The transmission shift commands also runs off the throttle body

If if you are super concern with this and it is happening more often is to record it happening. Show the tech and get the Lexus engineers on the line
Old 07-06-18, 11:43 AM
apod
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LexoDAV
If there is no pending codes history codes or current codes there’s nothing techs can do. I do know if the throttle body plate was moved open with power on engine off it will throw the calibration off, so to reset this is to remove all EFI fuses and leave off for 10 mins, and ETBC fuse. This will reset anything throttle fuel related. Good luck. The transmission shift commands also runs off the throttle body

If if you are super concern with this and it is happening more often is to record it happening. Show the tech and get the Lexus engineers on the line
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind.
Also, by recording, do you mean a Solus scanner or with what?
Old 07-06-18, 11:45 AM
apod
9th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
I would request to ride with the tech so you can show him what you perceive to be a problem. Hard to say over the internet. As you say you only have 21k miles so there's not much to get dirty/clogged etc to cause that.

The only thing I'd suspect would be a sticking throttle plate so if you're handy with tools, it may come down to inspecting stuff yourself. Wouldn't hurt to check the air filter too since it's easy to inspect. Make sure there's not a dead mouse in there or something.
Checked the air filter, all good. I'll let you know if it was a sticky throttle plate if I get a chance to look in there. Thanks.
Old 07-06-18, 11:45 AM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by apod
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind.
Also, by recording, do you mean a Solus scanner or with what?
video recording
Old 07-06-18, 11:50 AM
apod
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Solara350
same like my old 2nd Gen IS250 AWD, when i press the gas pedal slowly the car jerks forward, 1st 2nd 3rd gears, smooth at 5th 6th gears though, 4th gear fell little hard but not noticeable . sometimes car won't go for seconds like you described. i changed and filled Transmission fluid 5 times it got better but jerking still there it worst when the car's fully warm, i traded in for 2011 IS350 AWD, same thing on the IS350 AWD 1st and 2nd gear, 4-5-6 were smooth but it only jerk forward when i drive like an old man slow n relax.

around year half ago i traded them in for a 3rd Gen IS350 AWD F-sport, i do feel 2nd gear jerks as well so i thought these LExus IS series car built like this, when i 1st got the car i drove smooth slow and relax and i do feel the 2nd gear and 3rd little harsh, so i told myself Fck it lets drive like a Man, if the car break down buy another......by driving like a moron for around 10 months now the GEAR SHIFTING is smooth out and i did not change transmission fluid on the 3rd Gen IS350 AWD F-sport, now i use Manual shifting gear almost everyday and put in D when listen to music , not so long ago i heard my brother was talking about Transmission Valve body stuck open, he told me sometimes i gotta drive the car hard and rough and use manual shifting to flush out the fluids from valve body, i wasn't sure and didn't believe, i don't know bro, just this will give you a HINT as i know Lexus IS Transmission is not smooth for 6 speeds Automatic, they'll not gonna die just annoying with jerking and jump forward, here the IS250 Transmission valve body and welcome to the Forum bro PS: your car is still under warranty, book an appointment and tell the tech, they might as well fix or replace your defect transmission, good luck.
I do notice that when I drive it more aggressively or for a while it "fixes" itself and runs smoother. Looks like I'll have to make an appointment, I just don't want Lexus to say it's something that wouldn't be covered by warranty or tell me that the car is fine. But thanks man.
Old 07-06-18, 11:51 AM
apod
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LexoDAV

video recording
Alright. Thanks.
Old 07-06-18, 01:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Based on the info you provided so far, it really sounds like a transmission issue.
To keep it super simple, I would suggest changing the fluid. This will not only get rid of the old fluid, but will ensure that the fluid is now set to the right level.
It could simply be that the fluid is not at the right level, and when the vehicle reaches operating temp, the issue is occurring.
Your usual commute is so short that the vehicle probably doesn't reach operating temp, or isn't there too long before you stop.
Old 07-06-18, 08:38 PM
Solara350
Instructor

I like to know how is everyone's Lexus IS transmission acts like ? since Apod's thread transmission acting weird like mine, i have owned 3 LEXUS IS 2nd and 3rd Gen, none of them transmission is smooth, this current IS was bad but jerking issue gone and still feel the "NOT SMOOTH SHIFTING"
Old 07-07-18, 08:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
I like to know how is everyone's Lexus IS transmission acts like ? since Apod's thread transmission acting weird like mine, i have owned 3 LEXUS IS 2nd and 3rd Gen, none of them transmission is smooth, this current IS was bad but jerking issue gone and still feel the "NOT SMOOTH SHIFTING"
Well, from your story you posted above, I can agree with parts of it on my IS. Close to 20k miles now. I think when the car was brand-new, shifting from 1st to 2nd sometimes felt sudden. I think over time, it has smoothed out.

WRT the OP's delay issue, there's a built-in delay in the throttle pedal, which can be removed using something like the Apexi throttle controller. But yeah the power band of the engine is also weird, as the torque seems like it drops off from about 2300-2800 RPM before it picks back up, which can feel uneven in 1/3-throttle situations. I've pretty much learned how to drive the car smoothly by slightly varying my pedal inputs. Seems like the best thing to do is slightly increase throttle as the car shifts from 1st to 2nd.
Old 07-07-18, 08:07 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just hit 21,000 miles on my 2015 is250 and its slipping in first gear. Revs jump up to about 1500RPM before it grabs and drops back to 1000RPM and the car rolls forward. IF I drive like a **** the car is fine and engages right away, but with the not so great roads and low speed limits I don't get to run the car hard nor do I really want to drive like that. Is this the "jerking" or are you experiencing hard shifts with no slipping?

Also I HATE that we do not have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid. OR I can't find the damn thing.
Old 07-08-18, 08:11 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, from your story you posted above, I can agree with parts of it on my IS. Close to 20k miles now. I think when the car was brand-new, shifting from 1st to 2nd sometimes felt sudden. I think over time, it has smoothed out.

WRT the OP's delay issue, there's a built-in delay in the throttle pedal, which can be removed using something like the Apexi throttle controller. But yeah the power band of the engine is also weird, as the torque seems like it drops off from about 2300-2800 RPM before it picks back up, which can feel uneven in 1/3-throttle situations. I've pretty much learned how to drive the car smoothly by slightly varying my pedal inputs. Seems like the best thing to do is slightly increase throttle as the car shifts from 1st to 2nd.
i hope you're right bro !
Old 07-08-18, 08:13 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Just hit 21,000 miles on my 2015 is250 and its slipping in first gear. Revs jump up to about 1500RPM before it grabs and drops back to 1000RPM and the car rolls forward. IF I drive like a **** the car is fine and engages right away, but with the not so great roads and low speed limits I don't get to run the car hard nor do I really want to drive like that. Is this the "jerking" or are you experiencing hard shifts with no slipping?

Also I HATE that we do not have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid. OR I can't find the damn thing.
Exactly whatever you just said, all my 3 Lexus IS got it all, Shifting is weirdo unlike Toyota or German Dual-Clutch, from Camry to RAV4 , Brand new and old car, the shifting is so smooth, i bought a Brand new Rav4 last year 2017, its so smooth shifting.

Quick Reply: Acceleration problems